'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Officiating  (Read 17451 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Creighton Officiating
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
I understand where in-stadium fans are coming from because often with an off-ball foul, fans don't see it because they're focusing on the ball and there's no replay. If a foul on your team doesn't take place in clear view, human nature assumes that the officials got the call wrong.

Why don't they show replays in the stadium?  It is easy enough to pick up the TV feed and put it on the scoreboard.

Are they afraid of working up the crowd after showing a bad call?  Well not showing them anything worked up the crowd last night.  Maybe if they showed the "good calls" fans would see what happened and not get as irate.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
Why don't they show replays in the stadium?  It is easy enough to pick up the TV feed and put it on the scoreboard.

Are they afraid of working up the crowd after showing a bad call?  Well not showing them anything worked up the crowd last night.  Maybe if they showed the "good calls" fans would see what happened and not get as irate.

I think thats the general idea. If they end up showing a bad call people would get even more upset. Like you said though not like it mattered last night as the entire stadium was booing for a good 5 minutes straight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

Usually a conference rule or policy.  It is frowned upon.  When my team ran game management, we were in communications constantly with the video board folks on the scoreboard and would articulate to them that they could not show certain replays.  It was sometimes challenging because these were the same guys that did the NBA games and often would show replays of calls.  I don't know if they still do, I rarely go to NBA games.

At any rate, frowned upon or a direct policy from conference.  I remember vs DePaul one time where the DU player punched one of our guys in the stones and that replay got up on the board.  Their AD, Bill Bradshaw lost his mind screaming at me and the team.  The board operator put up the replay prior to viewing it and did not know the DU player had gone jewel hunting.  It was not good to say the least.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
I think thats the general idea. If they end up showing a bad call people would get even more upset. Like you said though not like it mattered last night as the entire stadium was booing for a good 5 minutes straight.

No it did matter ... all the off the ball calls feels like random whistles as no one knew what happened because your watching the ball and do not see the call 25 feet away.

They don't have to replay every whistle, just show the ones that were "obvious fouls."  That way it doesn't feel so random and you don't get so frustrated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
What would be the circumstances whereby you'd allow reffing quality to be a legit topic of discussion?

I submit the 'caveating' makes it legit.  We're not pointing at the refs as the reason we lost, we're pointing at them as a matter of .. a negative aspect of the basketball product on display .. and we believe Creighton fans (or anyone who watched) would be in agreement .. the reffing was poor both ways.

Not specifically directed at you, but it's a given that there are some people in the commentariat who can't wait to slap down anyone who brings up the lack of quality officiating for any reason.  

It's a legit topic .. while it's possible I missed the NCAA handbook on this, I look at the NFL for a 'good' example of how they approach ref quality in terms of game-by-game review and grading.   Not that the NCAA should grade every game, but they clearly need to vote some guys off the island every season.

Absolutely a legit topic, its when it goes into the reasons why we lost domain that I have trouble with it.  People nowadays bend over backwards to say it wasn't the reason we lost, but then spend 10 minutes saying how one sided it was.  IMO

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
Fair, yes. Good, no.

That is the correct answer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
Usually a conference rule or policy.  It is frowned upon.  When my team ran game management, we were in communications constantly with the video board folks on the scoreboard and would articulate to them that they could not show certain replays.  It was sometimes challenging because these were the same guys that did the NBA games and often would show replays of calls.  I don't know if they still do, I rarely go to NBA games.

At any rate, frowned upon or a direct policy from conference.  I remember vs DePaul one time where the DU player punched one of our guys in the stones and that replay got up on the board.  Their AD, Bill Bradshaw lost his mind screaming at me and the team.  The board operator put up the replay prior to viewing it and did not know the DU player had gone jewel hunting.  It was not good to say the least.

Can you explain this a bit more? Why is it a rule/policy? Shouldn't players/refs be held accountable? If the DU player punched the guy, shouldn't the AD have been mad at his player for his actions rather than the replay being shown?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Can you explain this a bit more? Why is it a rule/policy? Shouldn't players/refs be held accountable? If the DU player punched the guy, shouldn't the AD have been mad at his player for his actions rather than the replay being shown?

I'll do my best from memory.  One concern is it becomes a player safety issue.  If you keep showing a replay of some player attacking another player, the crowd is ginned up and some yahoo is libel to throw his beer or quarters or whatever at the kid.  In essence, don't instigate a riot or another subsequent event is the rationale.

For controversial calls, it is more about not showing up the refs, etc.  I haven't done game management in a long time, so things obviously could have changed, but that was the deal then.  The UCLA game I went to last week, a few controversial calls and none of them made replays either.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
Worst officiated game I had seen in years.

Understand, the officiating did not matter. Creighton was clearly the better team last night. But the officials took the game out of the players hands.

Was not consistent and the officials were more interested in a statistically even game than a consistent game for both teams. Too bad because it cheapens the efforts of the players.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »
On the topic of replays .. why the f*** does the NCAA think its particular fans can't control themselves, beyond NBA fans, MLB fans, NHL fans? .. that's just asinine. 

Not showing up the refs?  Every other sport somehow manages.  Those refs aren't students, they get paid, no reason to treat them any different than every other ref at every other stadium.

SHOW THE REPLAYS!  It's the #1 thing missing from the entertainment product they sell.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
On the topic of replays .. why the f*** does the NCAA think its particular fans can't control themselves, beyond NBA fans, MLB fans, NHL fans? .. that's just asinine. 

Not showing up the refs?  Every other sport somehow manages.  Those refs aren't students, they get paid, no reason to treat them any different than every other ref at every other stadium.

SHOW THE REPLAYS!  It's the #1 thing missing from the entertainment product they sell.

Not showing replays is just making the home viewing product better than the arena, which would be a bad business model.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
Not showing replays is just making the home viewing product better than the arena, which would be a bad business model.

Maybe, but that's not the reason. Schools want people to go to the games, ticket revenue is huge for schools. 

In terms of Hilltopper's question, its not pro sports and they view it accordingly IMO.  All kinds of gray lines and of course people can take the argument they are pseudo pro athletes, etc, but it is an area that most schools I've seen don't cross.  I don't even know if it is a NCAA policy, but it was a CUSA policy back in the day and I'm sure most conferences were operating under the same guidelines.