Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Flops  (Read 4814 times)

brandx

Re: Flops
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:58 AM »
I understand that you can easily say that because we lost.  However, if you think that what you watched today was a basketball game, then you don't enjoy watching basketball.  I understand that Creighton may have a better team than Marquette, but I didn't get to see tonight one way or another.  I got gypped out of my money.  I got to watch fouls get called every time down the floor for over 10 minutes of game time at the beginning of the second half.  I think its crazy for anyone to say that this game proves anything except Creighton shoots free throws better. 

And please don't say the players fouled every time down the court.  They didn't.  This was simply a horrible and unwatchable performance by the officials.  It was not a test of anything one way or the other.

They may have a better team? They are ranked #11 - we have had one 3-game winning streak. And you concede that they may be better? Very gracious, young man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »
I didn't like the officiating but I think it was fair. Called ghost fouls on both teams. We may not like Creighton's style. We can yell all we want about how they aren't athletes and that wasn't real basketball, but unfortunately for us, what they are doing works.

BTW, Creighton had 8 more fouls than us. We just didn't make our FTs
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 04:15:24 AM »
I'm from Omaha, and Creighton has been one of the floppiest teams in the country for almost 15 years. This goes back to the Dana Altman days, and it's been that way for so long that their fans think it is normal. You should see their home crowd reactions to a no call on a flop. They act as if someone ran off the bench and punched one of their guys in the face and the refs are a disgrace for not calling a foul. I thought the rule change emphasis would help put an end to it, but it just shifted to them constantly flopping on the offensive end. Also, the ref tends to not notice if you're setting a moving screen if once there is any contact it looks like the screener got shot by a .50 cal rifle. They force the refs to blow the whistle when it happens, and the Pavlovian dogs that referees are almost always call it in their favor.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
I didn't like the officiating but I think it was fair. Called ghost fouls on both teams. We may not like Creighton's style. We can yell all we want about how they aren't athletes and that wasn't real basketball, but unfortunately for us, what they are doing works.

I think MU saw the writing on the wall and adjusted and started playing Creighton's game by trying to draw the fouls too. But this is clearly Creighton's style of play and they out-flopped us.

Don't get me wrong, they are very talented and the better, team, but this game was not fun to watch.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:07:22 AM by Bleuteaux »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »

I like Creighton's style   :) 

Other styles are fine too.  CU is fun to watch, but their weakness is obvious if the shooting touch goes south.