collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Great for the Bucks  (Read 8628 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Great for the Bucks
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/412777-bucks-would-take-embiid-no-1?eref=sihp

As if the Bucks don't have enough defensive minded, offensively challenged, thin, lanky, tall, athletic post players, they will most likely (not because this article tells me where they are truly thinking of going with a pick they don't necessarily even have, but because they're the Bucks and why wouldn't they make a move like this?) pass on 2 potential stars on the wing, where they are absolutely lacking, and take another guy who won't put the ball in the bucket for at least 5 years, if ever, while they already have 2 of him on the roster (Sanders, Henson).

The Bucks are the absolute worst.  Hopefully Embiid stays for his sophomore year (and again, not because I don't think Embiid can be a star, but he will be a defensive minded star, while the Bucks need some offense, particularly on the wing).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:49:42 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Great for the Bucks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
So I am stuck on the floating bridge traffic two days ago listening to ESPN Seattle and they are interviewing the guy who does a Bucks show on WSSP. BLUF: 3 Seattle groups are lobbying hard to get an expansion team but are also working around the league to get ownership buy-in on a possible acquisition-move of the Bucks. Bucks staying in Milwaukee hinges on A) getting a stadium deal which will require taxpayers to fund up to $200 MM; B) New investors must agree to keeping team in city. Prospects of franchise staying in Milwaukee are 50:50.

WSSP guy said Milwaukee is 1) Packers; 2) Packers; 3) Packers; 4) Brewers. As for basketball, he said Milwaukee is not an NBA city, especially when the product is awful. There is far more enthusiasm for UW and MU than Bucks. He did note that when George Karl was the coach and the team was competitive the city supported the team but that was a long time ago and the brand equity has eroded significantly.

The critical path is getting taxpayers to fund $200 MM. Without public support there won't be new private investment in the franchise. Bucks need to package the new arena as a civic entertainment focal point. If the public sees it as a gift for millionaire owners and players it won't happen.

What I hear on Seattle sports talk is the various ownership groups want an expansion team and not a failed franchise. But if push comes to shove the Bucks are the low hanging fruit.

Not my opinions - I am just the messenger.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/412777-bucks-would-take-embiid-no-1?eref=sihp

As if the Bucks don't have enough defensive minded, offensively challenged, thin, lanky, tall, athletic post players, they will most likely (not because this article tells me where they are truly thinking of going with a pick they don't necessarily even have, but because they're the Bucks and why wouldn't they make a move like this?) pass on 2 potential stars on the wing, where they are absolutely lacking, and take another guy who won't put the ball in the bucket for at least 5 years, if ever, while they already have 2 of him on the roster (Sanders, Henson).

The Bucks are the absolute worst.  Hopefully Embiid stays for his sophomore year (and again, not because I don't think Embiid can be a star, but he will be a defensive minded star, while the Bucks need some offense, particularly on the wing).

As freshmen at the same point of development (both took up the game late):

Hakim Olajuwon    8.3 points    6.2 rebounds    2.5 blocks
Joel Embiid          10.7 points    7.8 rebounds   2.5 blocks

There is no comparison between Embiid vs. Sanders or Henson.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:38:14 AM »
As freshmen at the same point of development (both took up the game late):

Hakim Olajuwon    8.3 points    6.2 rebounds    2.5 blocks
Joel Embiid          10.7 points    7.8 rebounds   2.5 blocks

There is no comparison between Embiid vs. Sanders or Henson.

If I really cared to compare a college freshman from today to a college freshman from the 80s I'd look up Michael Jordan's freshman stats and show you players who have similar (and better) numbers to him.  It doesn't mean anything.  In fact, 40 years ago every freshman averaged 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 0 minutes per game.  So every one of these players comparatively is a basketball God compared to them.

Again, I think Embiid will be a very good pro.  But the last thing the Bucks need is a big man who is strong defensively and struggles to score in any way other than dunking the basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
They need a scorer from the wing.  Jabari Parker would be my choice.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »

Or a solid PG.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »
Any spokesman from WSSP wouldn't be a source to rely on. They have about as much knowledge and suck as Mike Hunt.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »

The most idiotic thing you can do in the nba draft (especially top3) is pick on need. You take BPA and be happy about it. If you think embiid is the best player, you better take him.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
Any spokesman from WSSP wouldn't be a source to rely on. They have about as much knowledge and suck as Mike Hunt.

Roger that. I have never heard of WSSP, it's just that ESPN Seattle interviewed the guy who does a Bucks call-in show. Interestingly, the only Bucks radio show is on WSSP and not the station that actually does the games. He wants the city to keep the Bucks but considers it problematic.

The word in Seattle is that the league wants a franchise here and Milwaukee is not seen as a viable market over the long term. One comment from the show about markets that is interesting - the NBA likes one trick pony cities so they don't have to compete with other pro sports. That's why OKC and Sac have franchises.

For the sake of transparency, my interest in the NBA goes about as far as the involvement of MU guys.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »

Agreed.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
Sign some local kids.

At least it MAY fill in the seats.
SS Marquette

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
I can live with either Parker or Wiggins. It's a joke that the Bucks are considering taking Embiid. That would be such a typical Bucks pick. Let's hope Embiid stays or the Bucks get the 2 or 3 pick and some other team is dumb enough to take Embiid. Although, I'm not a huge Bucks fan so it would be kind of funny to see Embiid stuck in Milwaukee after all after Mbah Moute screwed MU in his recruitment.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:18 PM »
I can live with either Parker or Wiggins. It's a joke that the Bucks are considering taking Embiid. That would be such a typical Bucks pick. Let's hope Embiid stays or the Bucks get the 2 or 3 pick and some other team is dumb enough to take Embiid. Although, I'm not a huge Bucks fan so it would be kind of funny to see Embiid stuck in Milwaukee after all after Mbah Moute screwed MU in his recruitment.

It's not just the Bucks - Embiid is a close to a concensus pick among NBA GMs for #1 overall.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
Seems to me that Embiid landed feet first seein' as he starts for Kansas and such and is in the discussion for the first overall pick. Don't really get how LRMM bf'd us.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »

So you have no interest in these kids doing what is right for them - it's just about your entertainment?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
It's not just the Bucks - Embiid is a close to a concensus pick among NBA GMs for #1 overall.

Publicly stated by not a single NBA GM.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
Don't really get how LRMM bf'd us.

Did he give Marquette the "Ledaryl Red Hot Poker Butt Jam," the "Scooter Trombone Shame Decision," or merely the "Jabari What's a Marquette" deal because there are differences.

"Screw you, Marquette!"

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »
Publicly stated by not a single NBA GM.

Smart statement - you really thought that one out.

No team is going to give away it's thinking - just as in the NFL. The concensus comes from Chad Ford who is more tuned in to NBA GMs than anyone.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
Smart statement - you really thought that one out.

No team is going to give away it's thinking - just as in the NFL. The concensus comes from Chad Ford who is more tuned in to NBA GMs than anyone.

The same guy who believed in Darko, and Oden over Durant.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
right now Embiid is hurt, not sure of the severity but if it lingers I'm sure his stock might drop in some circles although maybe less for him since he's being ranked on 'potential' more than most are

brandx

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
The same guy who believed in Darko, and Oden over Durant.

No - Ford didn't believe that. He gave a concensus of what NBA GMs were thinking. And the draft showed that Ford's reporting was correct.

Ford's rankings are not his opinion on who is best (like Kiper or McShay in football). It is how the NBA GMs rate the players.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
No - Ford didn't believe that. He gave a concensus of what NBA GMs were thinking. And the draft showed that Ford's reporting was correct.

Ford's rankings are not his opinion on who is best (like Kiper or McShay in football). It is how the NBA GMs rate the players.

Chad Ford is a well-known joke and puppet in savvy NBA offices. No need to think that one out, champ.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

So what Ford does for a living,  can literally be done by sending a monthly survey monkey link to GMs?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
Chad Ford is a well-known joke and puppet in savvy NBA offices. No need to think that one out, champ.

Lies...Ford is vey well respected and usually has good insider info. Maybe u prefer Scoop Jackson?!  ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »
Lies...Ford is vey well respected and usually has good insider info. Maybe u prefer Scoop Jackson?!  ;D

You don't the NBA too well then. Ford is a leak and is used as such.