'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan and Derrick On Buzz's Rapid Substitution  (Read 10753 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Juan and Derrick On Buzz's Rapid Substitution
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Juan and Derrick replaced Buzz last night on the radio show.  Buzz was on a recruiting trip.

You can hear it here.
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=71&c=766&f=2425573

What I found most interesting was the question about Buzz's rapid substitutions during a game (about the 30 minute mark).  Last week Buzz talked about it saying that every possession is important so he substitutes for the next two possessions at every dead ball the entire game.  Most coaches do this at the end of the game, Buzz does it the entire game.

Juan and Derrick said they "get it" as do all the upperclassmen.  They said they pretty much know when they are going in, how long they will be in and when they are coming out.  Point is they don't see Buzz's rapid substitutions are random or made up.  They said the Freshman struggle with it but they will also get it.

On another note ...

Dawson's nickname is "John John"
Wilson's nickname is "Ye ye" (did not say why)Derrick called him the most positive guy on the team.
Jujuan Johnson is "JJ" or J-five.  He is the team comedian
Derrick said Juan Anderson is a "Ladies man."  Derrick teased him saying he's not really a ladies man, he just thinks he is.
Derrick said Jake Thomas is the "most mature" guy on the team.  They also said they both wished he took more shots.  They also agreed he makes "the hard shots" and often misses the easy ones.
They said Steve Taylor loves to eat, and mostly Cheeseburgers, rings and fries.  No salads for him.
Detonte Burton they call him Devo or "bully ball"  devo was a "bully chacater from a 1990s movie.
Chris Otule constantly sings.  They have to tell him to shut up.,  Otule thinks he will get a Grammy one day but they tell him it will not happen
Devante Gardner, Derrick said he is very quiet and the easiest to make laugh. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Juan and Derrick On Buzz's Rapid Substitution
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Nothing on Mayo??
Goal is National Championship

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to note that.

He is Mr. Fashion.  If you need advice on what to wear, when to wear things, he's your man.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to note that.

He is Mr. Fashion.  If you need advice on what to wear, when to wear things, he's your man.

Figured Buzz would be Mr. Fashion

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
Detonte Burton they call him Devo or "bully ball"  devo was a "bully chacater from a 1990s movie.

I assume they were saying Deebo, the character from Friday.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:44:16 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »

That is hilarious!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
NERS can't understand why Dawson didn't get Derrick's airtime on the show.   Because Derrick spoke clearly in sentences, but it wasn't poetry.  One time, NERS heard Dawson quoting scripture, but the way he did it made NERS sure that John was a better speaker and he is going to spend 500 posts trying to convince us. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:53:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »
Figured Buzz would be Mr. Fashion

No Mayo is Mr. Fashion

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

Yes, that's it (I did not see the movie so I was guessing at what they were saying)

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
NERS can't understand why Dawson didn't get Derrick's airtime on the show.  

Or go to Derrick's classes.  Or date Derrick's girlfriend.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VCojia6LJ2c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VCojia6LJ2c</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
So wait....Buzz isn't crushing the morale of his players with his rapid substitutions???

So confused...

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
So wait....Buzz isn't crushing the morale of his players with his rapid substitutions???

So confused...

Do you honestly think they would ever admit that. He also said the freshman don't understand it and I'm sure they are less than thrilled with it.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
Why do posters get mad about the Derrick/Dawson debate being brought up all the time? It appears to me that even when nobody is talking about this in a thread one of the pro Derrick supporters takes little potshots at people. If you want the debate to go away quit playing little child's games and making snide remarks or quit complaining when your boy gets ripped on here. It's really pathetic.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
NERS can't understand why Dawson didn't get Derrick's airtime on the show.   Because Derrick spoke clearly in sentences, but it wasn't poetry.  One time, NERS heard Dawson quoting scripture, but the way he did it made NERS sure that John was a better speaker and he is going to spend 500 posts trying to convince us. 

Lol...nice Tower.  I'd love nothing more than for Derrick to put us on his back and will us to win, and guide us into the NCAA tourney...I'd gladly eat that crap burger...it it were to happen...but I expect the same 5.2ppg, 4 apg, 3.5 rpg, on poor shooting percentages from everywhere - 3, 2 and 1 - in 29.5 minutes....and no wins over Top 25 teams to continue..from here on out.  Hate to be so pessimistic...but just know it is virtually impossible to score wins against Top 50 teams with such a deficit at PG.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Why do posters get mad about the Derrick/Dawson debate being brought up all the time? It appears to me that even when nobody is talking about this in a thread one of the pro Derrick supporters takes little potshots at people. If you want the debate to go away quit playing little child's games and making snide remarks or quit complaining when your boy gets ripped on here. It's really pathetic.

+1000
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brandx

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Do you honestly think they would ever admit that. He also said the freshman don't understand it and I'm sure they are less than thrilled with it.

Who cares if they don't understand it? They are the ones that need to adjust. And if they want to play at the next level - guess what, they are going to have to adjust again.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
Who cares if they don't understand it? They are the ones that need to adjust. And if they want to play at the next level - guess what, they are going to have to adjust again.

You might not care and a lot of other people might not care. This isn't 70's and 80's where players were just happy to be a part of a program. That is why the transfer rate is so high in college basketball. They don't need to adjust...if they don't like it they will just leave, happens all the time.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
You might not care and a lot of other people might not care. This isn't 70's and 80's where players were just happy to be a part of a program. That is why the transfer rate is so high in college basketball. They don't need to adjust...if they don't like it they will just leave, happens all the time.

Let 'em go and they can be the next coaches problem.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
How many of our transferees have moved to better programs?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Those that have the maturity to understand what Buzz is doing won't transfer.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »

Yes they are not going to say they don't like it.  But I assume they didn't know that Homer was going to ask about it (as it seemed to come up in a stream of consciousness way) and they seemed very natural in their answers ... like they were not covering up but giving you an honest off the top of their head answer.

Derrick said everyone that gets recruited at MU's level is a star in HS and plays every minute they can.  So any substitutions is a new thing for them.

Rapid substitutions are just another thing for them to learn, like paint touches, not practicing FTs (how many years did we whine about that around here?) and "turkeys."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
One more thing, Derrick and Juan said Vander does a perfect impression of Buzz.  Would love to see a youtube of that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
NERS, thank you for taking it in the vein it was intended.   To be fair to you, I am reading anything you post in this thread, since I took that shot. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
Spot on. 

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
How many of our transferees have moved to better programs?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Those that have the maturity to understand what Buzz is doing won't transfer.
While I agree with what you are saying, how many transfers in general move on to a better program than the one they left?  My guess would be the majority of players who transfer take a step down. 

feedback