[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Xfinity X1 Platform  (Read 3887 times)

mueron

• Scholarship Player
Xfinity X1 Platform
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Anybody have this new fancy box? How you like?

mueron

• Scholarship Player
Re: Xfinity X1 Platform
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
Well no one responded to this but after using it for three days I have to say it's one of the sleekest and most powerful interfaces I've used in technology let alone a cable box. Only wish I have is a Netflix app but I know the chances of that happening are slim so I'll just have to stick with my chromecast.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
I'm starting service with Comcast and getting the X1 this weekend. Looking forward to it. Will post thoughts here

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
I've had X1 for about a month now.  Having switched from UVerse it seems like it's capable of more functionally but I was so used to Uverse that X1 currently seems clunky.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »
I've had X1 for about a month now.  Having switched from UVerse it seems like it's capable of more functionally but I was so used to Uverse that X1 currently seems clunky.

Clunky?  Come over to the world of RCN with Tivo, and then you can talk to me about clunky.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Clunky?  Come over to the world of RCN with Tivo, and then you can talk to me about clunky.

It feels clunky because I was so used to UVerse.  I'm sure once I'm used to the remote/guide/etc with X1 I'll find it to be way more easy to use. 

One area the X1 system is far superior is on demand tv and movies.  It's stupid easy to see all the different movies/tv you can rent/watch for free.  My monthly bill is going to see a difference.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
Clunky?  Come over to the world of RCN with Tivo, and then you can talk to me about clunky.

I'm actually switching from RCN, and I agree. The TiVo box they gave me is probably 5+ years old (in fairness, I got it over 3 years ago, so it wasn't that old back then), and while it works fine, it just seems terribly dated. I'm also looking forward to being able to record more than 2 things at once (I think the X1 does 4), being able to use my smartphone as a remote, etc.

I was initially with RCN because they were the cheapest option (I think it was like $75 a month when I started), but after being with them 4 years, my bill is going up literally 15-20% per year and I can get Comcast double play in my area for $95 a month now, while RCN is currently costing me $125 for comparable services.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:24:36 AM by Bleuteaux »

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
Glad to see this popped back up. After having X1 for about 6 months I would say I'm still pleased with it. My favorite feature is the T9 dialer or whatever they call it. Basically enables you to start typing the name of a show and it automatically brings up listings and on demand selections. Only real gripe I have is I wish they would change the color scheme. Oh and I found an annoying bug. If you end up on a channel you are not subscribed to and press the guide button it won't go to guide. You basically have to channel up or down until you get to a channel you have.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
Glad to see this popped back up. After having X1 for about 6 months I would say I'm still pleased with it. My favorite feature is the T9 dialer or whatever they call it. Basically enables you to start typing the name of a show and it automatically brings up listings and on demand selections. Only real gripe I have is I wish they would change the color scheme. Oh and I found an annoying bug. If you end up on a channel you are not subscribed to and press the guide button it won't go to guide. You basically have to channel up or down until you get to a channel you have.

Might be worth reporting the bug. I'm sure they can issue software updates.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
I'm actually switching from RCN, and I agree. The TiVo box they gave me is probably 5+ years old (in fairness, I got it over 3 years ago, so it wasn't that old back then), and while it works fine, it just seems terribly dated. I'm also looking forward to being able to record more than 2 things at once (I think the X1 does 4), being able to use my smartphone as a remote, etc.

I was initially with RCN because they were the cheapest option (I think it was like $75 a month when I started), but after being with them 4 years, my bill is going up literally 15-20% per year and I can get Comcast double play in my area for $95 a month now, while RCN is currently costing me $125 for comparable services.

I had Comcast for 3 years and liked it.  Recording was smooth, the menus were fluid and easy, loved the set up.  Then I moved into a high rise and had to get DirecTV as that was what was wired in.  Came to LOVE it.  Sure losing signal in a storm was annoying, but OnDemand was fantastic and the guide was great. 

Well the building switched over to RCN about 6 months ago and I still don't like it.  On Demand needs 3-4 different menus to go through to get to show, lot less options, and REALLY annoying sound effects.  Its just an overall much more dated feel to everything.  I will say, part of the reason my building switched was a SIGNIFICANT reduction in costs (was paying $25 a month for HD DVR receiver and sports pack plus $40 for crappy ATT internet, now pay $0 for TV and Internet combined), so that is nice and RCN has much faster and reliable internet than I had with ATT, but I definitely record far less TV than I used to.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
I had Comcast for 3 years and liked it.  Recording was smooth, the menus were fluid and easy, loved the set up.  Then I moved into a high rise and had to get DirecTV as that was what was wired in.  Came to LOVE it.  Sure losing signal in a storm was annoying, but OnDemand was fantastic and the guide was great. 

Well the building switched over to RCN about 6 months ago and I still don't like it.  On Demand needs 3-4 different menus to go through to get to show, lot less options, and REALLY annoying sound effects.  Its just an overall much more dated feel to everything.  I will say, part of the reason my building switched was a SIGNIFICANT reduction in costs (was paying $25 a month for HD DVR receiver and sports pack plus $40 for crappy ATT internet, now pay $0 for TV and Internet combined), so that is nice and RCN has much faster and reliable internet than I had with ATT, but I definitely record far less TV than I used to.

My building also had a deal with RCN. My perception is that they cut an awesome deal with a building or condo association and get everyone on board, and then start raising rates 15-20% per year to make up the difference, hoping the majority of people won't notice or care. After year 3 or 4, it is no longer the cheapest option and its in your best interest to switch. Maybe its not true across the board, but definitely was in my case.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
X1 has been installed. It looks like the DVR capability costs extra, which I am a little peeved about. I assumed it was automatically included. So we have X1 without the DVR functionality. Haven't decided whether I want to pay more for that or not.