collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicago to DC flights  (Read 4800 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Chicago to DC flights
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
Pretty much how the industry works.  What Milwaukee is facing now isn't all that different from what it was facing about 15 years ago.  Right now 28 cities are served non-stop (many vacation destinations).  That isn't all that different from when I moved away from there in the early 90s.  However in the mean time, Airtran came in and turned it into a hub.

Milwaukee will start to give away their gates more cheaply and some airline will move in and use that capacity.  It's happened before and will happen again.

I don't think this is cyclical as you suggest.

The difference between 15 years ago and now is that there are half as many airlines. The consolidation has led to fewer hubs and fewer flights. Certain airports will benefit, but some will be left behind. I doubt Milwaukee will ever be a hub again.

Hards Alumni

• All American

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
I've cooled down a bit so here's the skinny. I get out to LA 4-5 times/yr. The only non-stop choice I have is WN. Truth be told, there schedule is user friendly. But, the entire experience sucks sewer water. First, I don't like standin' in line, like I'm a rummy or somethin'. Then, once on the aircraft, ya gotta jockey for bin space and watch some ahole's butt crack while he stuffs his nike bag over your Louis Vuitton. Next, cram into 3x3 seatin'.
Used to buy their "Business Select" ticket which is a total ripoff. But, at LAX, its needed for "Fly By" checkin and priority TSA.
I'm done, Virgin America fly outta ORD to LAX. Its worth the drive to be treated as a customer, and not a piece of meat.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
I don't think this is cyclical as you suggest.

The difference between 15 years ago and now is that there are half as many airlines. The consolidation has led to fewer hubs and fewer flights. Certain airports will benefit, but some will be left behind. I doubt Milwaukee will ever be a hub again.

New airlines start up....open new opportunities for smaller airports...older airlines buy them, close the routes and jack up the prices.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »
I'm at SFO right now, the new United terminal is amazing.

ORD to Reagan is way to go. Reagan sucks as an airport inside, but much better location if staying in DC proper (it's practically downtown).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »
an airport serviced by only 4 airlines....Epic is the only thing keeping that airport open.

That and UW.