[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Case Closed: Start Mayo from here on out  (Read 8572 times)

DCWarriors04

• All American
Case Closed: Start Mayo from here on out
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
This season is in it's 11th hour...Mayo brings to the court something this team needs...someone who WANTS to be THE MAN, someone who is willing to take the BIG shots, and someone who WANTS the ball when the game is on the line.

If we're looking for our Kemba Walker...he's wearing #4 for the Warriors.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Case Closed: Start Mayo from here on out
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »
I'm all for it. But I want to see him be more consistent away from the BC.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  He has shown the ability to be someone we can count on for scoring when needed (which is all the time)

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Funny how fast we forget how horrible he played Saturday. He has played great in certain games this year though. Wouldn't have won without him tonight. Maybe starting would help his consistency ?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
He just needs to get touches and looks and get off to the right start.  Streaky player but if we can get him started early he can score 20 a game if he is playing 30mpg.  He's never been consistent though.  Hopefully this game convinces Buzz to start him and give around 25-30mpg.  Worth a shot next game since we are always trying new rotations.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
When someone can do what he did tonight and against Nova, got to throw your cards down and ride him.  If we get another 0-1 FG 2 PF 4 TO in 12 minutes, we have to still commit to 15+ more minutes that game, and then again a couple more games in a row and see what happens.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »
Every player on this team has forgettable moments, I'll take Mayo and everything he brings to the table. It's go time

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »
Showed what he can do if given the minutes. He is our quickest with the ball and when he ran in transition things happened.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
Every player on this team has forgettable moments, I'll take Mayo and everything he brings to the table. It's go time

Its Go time. Go with Mayo. He can take us to March!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
Showed what he can do if given the minutes. He is our quickest with the ball and when he ran in transition things happened.

If he can play smart/in control like tonight, I'd give him time at PG. Jake/JJJ/Dawson at SG. Jake/JJJ/Jamil at SF. Burton/Jamil/STJ at PF. Gardner/Otule at C.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Inconsistent minutes and short leash leads to inconsistent production.  Buzz needs to take the shackles off Todd and let him play 30 every night, regardless of if he appears to have/not have the now famous "hot hand."  I'd specuate that Bad Mayo in 30 will meet what "good Jake" is in 30.  Perhaps as we saw tonight some benefit playing them together - could be really good if our PG was any threat to successfully shoot 3's..

It's no secret to any color analyst who our most talented perimeter player is - Mayo.  Raff has always been high on Todd, as have other color guys.  There's been no reason all year for Todd to have not gotten 30 minutes per..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:27 PM »
There's been no reason all year for Todd to have not gotten 30 minutes per..

There must have been a lot of hate woodies among the coaching staff.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »
Inconsistent minutes and short leash leads to inconsistent production.  Buzz needs to take the shackles off Todd and let him play 30 every night, regardless of if he appears to have/not have the now famous "hot hand."  I'd specuate that Bad Mayo in 30 will meet what "good Jake" is in 30.  Perhaps as we saw tonight some benefit playing them together - could be really good if our PG was any threat to successfully shoot 3's..

It's no secret to any color analyst who our most talented perimeter player is - Mayo.  Raff has always been high on Todd, as have other color guys.  There's been no reason all year for Todd to have not gotten 30 minutes per..

Derrick played well tonite - 5 steals and 8 assists. He is only an effective PG if there are guys who want to shoot the ball. He was most effective with Mayo, Jake, & Burton on the floor.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
Derrick played well tonite - 5 steals and 8 assists. He is only an effective PG if there are guys who want to shoot the ball. He was most effective with Mayo, Jake, & Burton on the floor.

Derrick was serviceable tonight...because he was good defensively.  Leaves a lot to be desired on offensive end.  Butler wasn't guarding him on perimeter at all.  His assists were primarily to jump shooters.  If he were a threat to shoot effectively from the 3...him paired with Todd and Jake could be really dangerous.  It worked well as it was, even with Butler knowing Derrick wouldn't shoot...they still couldn't stop Todd...and Jake though 1 of 6 from the field still gets respect as a shooter.

This win was a direct result of Todd Mayo's talent/brilliance...he's shown us plenty of flashes of the same in his MU career thus far.  Now hopefully he gets 30 minutes a game consistently moving forward..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Class71

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
I expect Buzz go with Mayo. The "if" part of Mayo is a confidence issue. When he just plays focused and does not think first he is at his best which is outstanding.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:10:49 PM »
I expect Buzz go with Mayo. The "if" part of Mayo is a confidence issue. When he just plays focused and does not think first he is at his best which is outstanding.

Personally, I don't think confidence is an issue for Mayo. He makes bonehead plays from time to time, but at this point, I'll take the good with the bad.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »
The thing that people and even Buzz don't see is bad Todd is really only regarding dumb turnovers. Usually do to inconsistent PT.

When he is in rythmn with extended minutes(as he told buzz) he is electric.

Since Jamil can't seem to consistently be the guy. Todd should shoot, and shoot often.

That's the difference right there. Bad Jamil is a lot of bricks, bad Todd doesn't(typically) have god awful shooting games.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »
He needs to start. Even though he has the hard look down, I think needs the confidence that comes with the green light. His best performances have come when the staff tells him to go get buckets, because the team badly needed someone to do it. Run him out there from the start, and let him get cooking.

He's also the only wing player they have that knows how to get to the rim. He used screens, and read traffic beautifully in the second half.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
Butler wasn't guarding him on perimeter at all.  His assists were primarily to jump shooters.  
I agree about his assists basically perimeter to perimeter where the receiver shoots or drives.

An odd advantage of Derrick being unguarded all the time is that against pressure defense he is always open for an outlet pass.  Several times last night we dribbled into trouble and were able to pass to a wide open Derrick.  
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
I agree about his assists basically perimeter to perimeter where the receiver shoots or drives.

An odd advantage of Derrick being unguarded all the time is that against pressure defense he is always open for an outlet pass.  Several times last night we dribbled into trouble and were able to pass to a wide open Derrick. 

I know one of Derrick's assists was on a fast break...another was him coming off a screen.  Both passes were where they needed to be, when they needed to be there.  Can't ask more of him than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »
Derrick was serviceable tonight...because he was good defensively.  Leaves a lot to be desired on offensive end.  Butler wasn't guarding him on perimeter at all.  His assists were primarily to jump shooters.

As I was drinking my coffee this morning, I said to myself "I bet Ners is going to find a way to downgrade Derrick's assists."

Good to see you are predictable.

It all fits so well into your narrative.  When the offense is performing poorly, its Derrick's fault.  When the offense is performing well, despite statistical evidence to the contrary, Derrick gets no credit.

(Eagerly awaiting 3FG and FT percentage stats...)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »

As I was drinking my coffee this morning, I said to myself "I bet Ners is going to find a way to downgrade Derrick's assists."

It all fits so well into your narrative.  When the offense is performing poorly, its Derrick's fault.  When the offense is performing well, despite statistical evidence to the contrary, Derrick gets no credit.

It is easy for even the most basic basketball fan to see that Derrick adds little to no value on the offensive end. Out of those 8 assists ( courtesy of some friendly BC scoring) 2 were actually where he created something for his teammates. The 8 assists were pretty hollow if you ask me. But his defense was pretty good.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »

It all fits so well into your narrative.  When the offense is performing poorly, its Derrick's fault.  When the offense is performing well, despite statistical evidence to the contrary, Derrick gets no credit.

FG%, 3pt FG%, FT% all matter a great deal...

and derrick was serviceable last night.  teams have stopped sending derrick's defender after DG (depending on spacing) because DG got better at working out of the double.  chris can't pass as well, and it was difficult to have both on the court at the same time.  

it is what it is, and dawson and derrick should split much of the time imho, but to act like derrick was anything more than serviceable in any game he's ever played is ridiculous.  if we had that type of play from all 5 positions we'd lose a lot of games with a score of about 30 - 40.  it's our weakest position, and that's been well noted by many.  his growth has been very limited, and his defense has not been as consistent as it needs to be for him to be considered an elite level defender...i think his height will always be an issue there.  i think we should be playing dawson more, you point out buzz knows more than me (no sh!t), and i point out that buzz hasn't been winning much this year.  the game in which dawson had a huge hand in helping us win, derrick kept himself out of the game, so i'm not sure that points to buzz have a solid grasp on the position either.  many on this board ripped me over the summer when i said his ceiling was that of junior's (i now wish), and said he'd be better than junior (buzz said he should have been the starter last year, blah blah blah).  my concern continues to be his ceiling.  dawson's is much higher, so with the minimal production we're getting from derrick, i'd rather see dawson get more minutes.  if you want to make the argument that wilson needs more minutes when the opposing team has a stud pg, i could see that, but if we're playing derrick at pg for the majority of minutes next year...we're in trouble.  

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »
Watching Mayo the last 10+ minutes of the game, I felt like every time he would get the ball in the weave, he was going to look to create and he seemed to each time he touched it.  That doesn't always seem to be his mentality but it was last night.  We need that thought process from him every game.  

Watching Burton, he's got the same mentality, but with Todd, his creativeness also includes passing to open players. When DB gets the ball, my son and I look at each other and say, "shot's going up".  Raf even said a couple times last night, Deonte should've passed as someone was open (specifically DG one time).  But it's still nice to see someone taking the ball to the hole like he does.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
He is only an effective PG if there are guys who want to shoot the ball. He was most effective with Mayo, Jake, & Burton on the floor.

Probably the most astute observation of DW's game. You can tolerate DW and no JT. You can tolerate JT and no DW. But you can not, for all that is decent and holy, tolerate them both at the same time.

But again, Todd just proved last night why college hoops is a guard's game. Period. Bigs are nice and you need them, but you ain't winning jack without solid guard play in the form of scoring from your 2, and ball control, good D, and a command of the floor from your point (scoring or no scoring).