[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Disjointed...  (Read 11585 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Disjointed...
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »
Was a must win game today and we laid an egg.  This season is on Buzz.  Been totally disjointed in his rotation/lineups ALL season long.  No synergy - other than generally playing the same 2 in the backcourt the most/consistent minutes...that have had their share of struggles and limitations.

Was evident early on the season was going to be a struggle if major changes weren't made.  None of these guys are getting into a rhythm in games, they aren't playing alongside the same guys 90% of the time.  Just impossible to get into a flow, and get some results.

The rotation needs to be pared to 8-9 guys...should have been done a long time ago...start your 5 most talented guys...and then you have your 3 and 4 subs who basically come in and sub for the same guy over and over.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Disjointed...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Natives are restless

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »
Was a must win game today and we laid an egg.  This season is on Buzz.  Been totally disjointed in his rotation/lineups ALL season long.  No synergy - other than generally playing the same 2 in the backcourt the most/consistent minutes...that have had their share of struggles and limitations.

Was evident early on the season was going to be a struggle if major changes weren't made.  None of these guys are getting into a rhythm in games, they aren't playing alongside the same guys 90% of the time.  Just impossible to get into a flow, and get some results.

The rotation needs to be pared to 8-9 guys...should have been done a long time ago...start your 5 most talented guys...and then you have your 3 and 4 subs who basically come in and sub for the same guy over and over.

I'm going to extend it to the coaching staff and their inability to develop players.

Or maybe the problem is, what Buzz always tries to recruit, that this team lacks the "chip" on their shoulders.

The freshmen have been aggressive and, though they haven't deserved the minutes, they don't play entitled like this year's senior class.

I've been disappointed in Jamil, Ox, and Otule greatly. This is...was?...their team.
As seniors, they needed to take this team on their shoulders.
They've been reluctant warriors...
SS Marquette

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
Luke Fish

Duane Wilson

Ahmed Hill

Shayok

Sandy Cohen

the future is bright..... This current team is forgettable...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
This team sucks. The WHOLE team.  It's become very easy these days to simply blame coaching.  It's convenient. But it's usually miguided.  This is one everyone.  Players and coaches. 
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
This team sucks. The WHOLE team.  It's become very easy these days to simply blame coaching.  It's convenient. But it's usually miguided.  This is one everyone.  Players and coaches. 
It is the coach. He picked the players, he develops the game plans. He is to develop the players, he has the resources and the big bucks salary. Those are just kids out there trying. Except Otule--he is eligible for Social Security, so he cannot be called a kid anymore.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »
It is the coach. He picked the players, he develops the game plans. He is to develop the players, he has the resources and the big bucks salary. Those are just kids out there trying. Except Otule--he is eligible for Social Security, so he cannot be called a kid anymore.
Moronic...at best.  So simple huh willie? You're awesome amn.  You really get it
No Finish Line

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
To say buzz can't develop players? Seriously STFU. All u reactionaries out there that suddenly we are worthless and have worthless players is ludicrous.

That being said, this definitely hasn't been a well coached season by Buzz. Teams/coaches have bad seasons. Lets stop throwing the baby out with the bath water.

College hoops is a guards game. We don't have em this year, and, we don't have solid seniors. Simple as that. Look at previous seasons and how hard the seniors busted their hump. This year pales in comparison.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

The season is on Buzz but not for the reasons you state.  Recruiting left us with poor guards and you can't have poor guards in college b-ball.

Silver bullet rotations changes would have given us one more win at this point.  I don't care what rotation you come up with Ners.  It would not have been good enough given the guard play.

Next year will be better.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
I'm going to extend it to the coaching staff and their inability to develop players.

On that note and without attempting to dissect individual shortcomings, I'd be shocked if there isn't assistant turnover for next year. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
On that note and without attempting to dissect individual shortcomings, I'd be shocked if there isn't assistant turnover for next year. 

I wonder if Jerry's corpse will still be here.  ;)

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
To say buzz can't develop players? Seriously STFU. All u reactionaries out there that suddenly we are worthless and have worthless players is ludicrous.

That being said, this definitely hasn't been a well coached season by Buzz. Teams/coaches have bad seasons. Lets stop throwing the baby out with the bath water.

College hoops is a guards game. We don't have em this year, and, we don't have solid seniors. Simple as that. Look at previous seasons and how hard the seniors busted their hump. This year pales in comparison.

+1. Effort is not there by the upperclassmen. Guard play is suspect and we Zero three point capability from anyone. Tough to win without a consistent three point threat.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »

While I have agreed with you on your assessment of our guard play, maybe derrick showed his real value today. as the other upperclassmen gave up on the tam and coaches today, Derrick tried to take over in the 2nd half. Hopefully that will have good consequences down the road. I think he has been very hesitant to take charge deferring to the seniors this year, but maybe this game turned a corner for him

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
Otules only job should be Rebounding and Defense,his reactions to the ball are so slow! His numbers are awful for
a grown man with his size.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »
While I have agreed with you on your assessment of our guard play, maybe derrick showed his real value today. as the other upperclassmen gave up on the tam and coaches today, Derrick tried to take over in the 2nd half. Hopefully that will have good consequences down the road. I think he has been very hesitant to take charge deferring to the seniors this year, but maybe this game turned a corner for him

Hope you are right...just wish I could put stock into the performance given St. John's essentially called off the dawgs the last 7 minutes of the game and that's when we saw some point production from D-Will.  I've never felt Derrick didn't play hard...felt he's always given max effort - so that's not my concern.  Same with Jake...plays hard, max effort guy.  But, it takes more than just playing hard to win games.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
The overall guard play has not been good this year, period.  That includes Derrick Wilson, Thomas, Mayo, Dawson and JJJ.  None are worthy starters for a NCAA tourney team and all should be getting spot minutes at best.

This has nothing to do with Buzz's inability to coach or his substitution patterns.  Buzz just needs to recruit better guards.  Its not that our guards are not talented but their flaws are fatal.  Derrick can't shoot.  Thomas lacks athletic ability to get his shot off.  Dawson and JJJ need to improve their defense by a ton and stop chucking shots.  Mayo well I can't figure him out and apparently neither can anyone else.

Hopefully Buzz brings in some legit well rounded guards over the next few years.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
The overall guard play has not been good this year, period.  That includes Derrick Wilson, Thomas, Mayo, Dawson and JJJ.  None are worthy starters for a NCAA tourney team and all should be getting spot minutes at best.

This has nothing to do with Buzz's inability to coach or his substitution patterns.  Buzz just needs to recruit better guards.  Its not that our guards are not talented but their flaws are fatal.  Derrick can't shoot.  Thomas lacks athletic ability to get his shot off.  Dawson and JJJ need to improve their defense by a ton and stop chucking shots.  Mayo well I can't figure him out and apparently neither can anyone else.

Hopefully Buzz brings in some legit well rounded guards over the next few years.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nFSxfi5mb4k?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nFSxfi5mb4k?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:55:42 PM by jesmu84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
The overall guard play has not been good this year, period.  That includes Derrick Wilson, Thomas, Mayo, Dawson and JJJ.  None are worthy starters for a NCAA tourney team and all should be getting spot minutes at best.

This has nothing to do with Buzz's inability to coach or his substitution patterns.  Buzz just needs to recruit better guards.  Its not that our guards are not talented but their flaws are fatal.  Derrick can't shoot.  Thomas lacks athletic ability to get his shot off.  Dawson and JJJ need to improve their defense by a ton and stop chucking shots.  Mayo well I can't figure him out and apparently neither can anyone else.

It's a guards game.  Amen brother, amen!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

I would agree if players on this team would show some consistency.  But they don't.  So Buzz is mixing and matching to win games.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
The only way it is on Buzz is that he recruited the players. The announcers talked about how Buzz made a point in practice not to leave Harrison open and the team left him open and he got hot. That is not on Buzz, it is on the players not doing what Buzz prepared them to do. However, the way they played you have to wonder if it was a good idea to take the team to a Broadway play last night.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »

I would agree if players on this team would show some consistency.  But they don't.  So Buzz is mixing and matching to win games.

I would hypothesize that the players on this team might show more consistency - if they had a consistent role/minutes.  It's been a clusterf*ck all year with all but 1-2 guys getting consistent minutes.  I would surmise that the guys feel a lot of pressure coming in games, thinking...I have to produce, and produce right away in the game when I get in..not make a mistake....or I know I'm coming out, and could be out the rest of the game.

Rafferty yesterday was beside himself at how ineffective we were at getting the ball to Gardner.  Said, you talk to other coaches, and the first guy they worry about on scouting report is Gardner - so yes, teams want to take him away...but we have to be able to capitalize on that attention, by not consistently choosing to play 4 on 5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »

Rafferty yesterday was beside himself at how ineffective we were at getting the ball to Gardner.  Said, you talk to other coaches, and the first guy they worry about on scouting report is Gardner - so yes, teams want to take him away...but we have to be able to capitalize on that attention, by not consistently choosing to play 4 on 5.

I can't believe you are still trotting out the 4 on 5 line.  That was the same lineup and same subbing philosophy that Buzz used the game before....you know where we jumped out to the big lead...the one where Davante was our leading scorer...and the one who shall not be named lead us in +/-.

Yeah, it's amazing why Buzz would do the exact same thing.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »
Hope you are right...just wish I could put stock into the performance given St. John's essentially called off the dawgs the last 7 minutes of the game and that's when we saw some point production from D-Will.  I've never felt Derrick didn't play hard...felt he's always given max effort - so that's not my concern.  Same with Jake...plays hard, max effort guy.  But, it takes more than just playing hard to win games.

I would really like to believe in brandx's point that maybe Derrick has turned a corner, but your observation about St. John's calling off the dogs fits what I saw too.  I saw Derrick driving on the hoop against only token opposition.  A big change from earlier in the game when St. John's dominated in the paint.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »

That's right. If there's one thing this coaching staff sucks at, it's developing guys like Vander Blue, Jimmy Butler, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jae Crowder, Dwight Buycks...
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
I would really like to believe in brandx's point that maybe Derrick has turned a corner, but your observation about St. John's calling off the dogs fits what I saw too.  I saw Derrick driving on the hoop against only token opposition.  A big change from earlier in the game when St. John's dominated in the paint.

Yeah, I don't take any stock in what happened in the second part of the second half of that game.  Complete garbage time.