Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wow we turned on buzz really quick  (Read 12403 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wow we turned on buzz really quick
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
It's a lot of things.  I think class distribution and particularly roster construction are the biggest problems.  We seem to have an endless supply of talented athletic guys who can't shoot.

Yes.  I agree with this.  I hope Buzz has addressed this with Duane and Ahmed, and it looks like Jarvis Garrett can shoot as well.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
We seem to have an endless supply of talented athletic guys who can't shoot.

This. And honestly, they're not all that talented.

Athletes and switchables only create mismatches if they're threats to score from inside and out.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
For those of you ripping Buzz, I have two words for you.

Bob Dukiet.

Bad season.  It happens to the best of them.  Move along, nothing to see here.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
For those of you ripping Buzz, I have two words for you.

Bob Dukiet.

Bad season.  It happens to the best of them.  Move along, nothing to see here.

So we are supposed to judge Buzz with Bob Dukiet as the yardstick. How about some other words: Al McGuire; Dean Smith; Rick Pitino; John Wooden; Bob Knight; etc. Right, nothing to see here.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
So we are supposed to judge Buzz with Bob Dukiet as the yardstick. How about some other words: Al McGuire; Dean Smith; Rick Pitino; John Wooden; Bob Knight; etc. Right, nothing to see here.

You act as if we are at the bottom of the barrel.  I am merely pointing out, as someone who went to MU when we WERE at the bottom of the barrel, that while this season is disappointing, it could be a lot worse. 

Your comparisons are utterly invalid.  Al?  Wooden?  Totally different era in college b-ball.  To think otherwise would demonstrate a lack of perspective that only a select few could have.  Smith, Pitino, Knight?  All blue-blood programs.  Yet they all had to experience down periods.  Perhaps you have forgotten Daugherty, Smith, and Sampson?   

Back on "Ignore" you go.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:11 PM »
So is your comparison to Bob Dukiet. Different era as you would say.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
Plenty of us (dare I say the vast, vast majority) support Buzz and appreciate what he has done for MU.  This is a down year, but except for his first year with the three amigos coming back, Buzz has produced miracle seasons up until now.   

The haters: A vocal minority and some trolls.. who are sometimes heard the loudest. 

brandx

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »
What is going on with Buzz this year?  He coached so effectively the past seasons and this year he looks like he couldn't coach a grade school team.  The players play disorganized.  Their defense stinks.  Their offense is worse.  Buzz recruited these players and we all expected a much higher level of play.  It seems like he is coaching the p[layers "down."  While most of them were stars and high scorers in high school, in Buzz's system they are luck to score in double digits.  And their defense stinks.  De Wilson played much better D his freshman year.  It really makes you wonder if Buzz has other issues or is distracted or is just doing a lousy job of coaching this year.  It's confusing and frustrating watching him coach and the team play this year.  Wish it weren't so.

Ever hear of a slump?

When Marquette won in '77, at about the same time of the season, they lost 3 in a row and 4 of 6 (the 2 wins were against cupcakes).

Nothing unusual here. they will recover and continue winning.

brandx

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
I think there is a difference between "turning on Buzz" and "questioning Buzz." There are many on this board who have been insulting to Buzz and his coaching this year. "Sucks" "has no idea what he is doing" "couldn't coach 7th graders" is different from "I don't understand his style" "I would have done things differently" "I think it would have been better if."

I personally have no problem with questioning Buzz and I am firmly in the "Buzz Williams is the best coach at Marquette since Al" camp. But I get very annoyed with and sometimes will attack the "turning on Buzz" crowd. Has this year been what we expected? No. But I do think a coach deserves a little loyalty from his fan base after delivering the best 5 year span we have had in years.

I firmly believe that we will pull a Nova or a Texas and be right back in the tournament again next season. I'm excited to see these freshmen become sophomores. I've seen more talent in them than I have any other freshmen during Buzz's tenure.

The one thing I will say is that while many of our fans may have "turned" on Buzz, at least we do not have a bunch of posters screaming "Fire Buzz" like I have seen from other fan bases. To my knowledge there has only been one poster who has seriously suggested firing Buzz *cough*Dreadman*cough*

RING OUT AHOYA!

Excellent post. And every team's site has their "dreadmans" & "Willie Warriors". They are comparable to taxes. Just a cost of doing business.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
Excellent post. And every team's site has their "dreadmans" & "Willie Warriors". They are comparable to taxes. Just a cost of doing business.
thank you for comparing me to taxes. Yes I question Mr. Buzz because there are areas to question. Maybe you do not think so as you get your next Kool Aid fix.

And that comparison to taxes; let's see, necessary for the well being of the country, is that what you were referring to. Necessary to promote safety, equality, support for the infrastructure, maybe that is what you were referring to. After all according to many, and likely some on this board, we must have taxes or we would have chaos. So thank you, again. Never heard it said that taxes were a cost if doing business. Just like bribes, maybe?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
Ever hear of a slump?

When Marquette won in '77, at about the same time of the season, they lost 3 in a row and 4 of 6 (the 2 wins were against cupcakes).

Nothing unusual here. they will recover and continue winning.
Yes, thank you for comparing this team to 1977. Lots of parallels between the two. Somebody should start a poll on that. How about you.

brandx

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
Yes, thank you for comparing this team to 1977. Lots of parallels between the two. Somebody should start a poll on that. How about you.

Good catch - actually my post about the slump was supposed to be in the thread about UW.

feedback