[Today at 09:12:02 AM]

2024-25 Roster by tower912
[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

NM by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wow we turned on buzz really quick  (Read 12437 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wow we turned on buzz really quick
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
This is ridiculous, and "haters" is a not even close to appropriate.  I "hate" Buzz because I blame him for not being more prepared for the season?  I LIKE BUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I keep seeing that on my screen but it must not be translating onto others computer screens when I hit post.

Your backcourt comments are exactly correct.  I believe the second Vander left, Mayo should have been told to prepare to play some point guard.  I believe the more talented, but less skilled, freshmen should have seen a lot more minutes in the non-conference.  I believe Buzz, based on the concept that he doesn't put in an offense until conference play starts, (allegedly) should not schedule the high profile, non-conference games that we have been unable to compete in lately.  Non-conference should have been where Dawson, Johnson and Burton learned on the job and were held accountable so they could be counted on more now.  

It's not about playing time now, they are all in a funk.  Buzz's over valuing of Derrick and Jake have hurt immensely this year.  I am not bashing either of them, they play really hard and are good kids.  I could be wrong, but I believe that if (Dawson and Derrick) and (JuJuan and Jake) split minutes equally from the beginning of the season this team would be in much better shape now.  I also believe not starting Todd from the beginning really messed with his confidence and leadership, because he had no defined roll.  Not to go off topic, but having a "defined roll" is huge for players in any sport.  Buzz does not seem to share that philosophy, based on playing time and strategy.  This has been the problem with the Milwaukee Bucks for about a decade now.

The chicken salad/chicken poop comment doesn't warrant a response.  But, Buzz and the university paid good money for that chicken poop.

1.  You are 100% correct on the haters response.  I should not have used it.  My apologies.

2.  Todd moving to point is something that I had thought would be good, but here's the deal.  Not only is he inconsistent on the court, he is unreliable off the court.  I'm not going to get into too many details, but if the coach doesn't know exactly where Todd is going to be physically or mentally, it is pretty hard to hand the reigns to him as point guard.  He had the SG position to grab, and he hasn't really been able to do that.

3.  Playing the freshman earlier.  OK.  I guess I can see that.  Some of the growing pains that they are going through now are ones that could have been sorted out earlier.

But I am not sure in the end what this would have done to resolve their biggest problem...a complete inconsistency from game to game.  

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
What is going on with Buzz this year?  He coached so effectively the past seasons and this year he looks like he couldn't coach a grade school team.  The players play disorganized.  Their defense stinks.  Their offense is worse.  Buzz recruited these players and we all expected a much higher level of play.  It seems like he is coaching the p[layers "down."  While most of them were stars and high scorers in high school, in Buzz's system they are luck to score in double digits.  And their defense stinks.  De Wilson played much better D his freshman year.  It really makes you wonder if Buzz has other issues or is distracted or is just doing a lousy job of coaching this year.  It's confusing and frustrating watching him coach and the team play this year.  Wish it weren't so.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
When the company goes bad, you blame the CEO. That's life. And Buzz is the CEO of Marquette basketball.

That being said, anybody can have a bad season. It's a bad season. Let's talk again at this point next year to see if this is a trend or an aberration.

The best news of all: It's only basketball. Thank god it isn't real life, or some folks would be throwing themselves off of buildings.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »

1.  You are 100% correct on the haters response.  I should not have used it.  My apologies.

2.  Todd moving to point is something that I had thought would be good, but here's the deal.  Not only is he inconsistent on the court, he is unreliable off the court.  I'm not going to get into too many details, but if the coach doesn't know exactly where Todd is going to be physically or mentally, it is pretty hard to hand the reigns to him as point guard.  He had the SG position to grab, and he hasn't really been able to do that.

3.  Playing the freshman earlier.  OK.  I guess I can see that.  Some of the growing pains that they are going through now are ones that could have been sorted out earlier.

But I am not sure in the end what this would have done to resolve their biggest problem...a complete inconsistency from game to game.  

going on your premise, and i think it's a good one, about getting todd ready for the season-boy, if todd was presented with an opportunity as you laid out, what a f'd up chance he had to shine for not only himself, mu and the nba.  you would think his bro-o.j.-right here in milwaukee, could have pulled him aside and shown him a little love going forward.  these are situations kids dream about on the playgrounds...very unfortunate and a waste that if he is introspective, he will kick his-self in the a$$ looking back  
don't...don't don't don't don't

connie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
What is going on with Bo this year?  He coached so effectively the first 14 games, and the last 5 he looks like he couldn't coach a grade school team.  The players play disorganized.  Their defense stinks.  Their offense is worse.  Bo recruited these players and we all expected a much higher level of play.  It seems like he is coaching the p[layers "down."  While most of them were stars and high scorers in high school, in Bo's system they are luck to score in double digits.  And their defense stinks.  Dekker played much better D his freshman year.  It really makes you wonder if Bo has other issues or is distracted or is just doing a lousy job of coaching this past month.  It's confusing and frustrating watching him coach and the team play this month.  Wish it weren't so.
I think we should change this up a bit to show just how fast some things can change. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
IIRC, last year about this time everyone was worried Buzz would be heading back to TX to take over for Barnes, whose Texas Longhorns were stinking it all up... Welllll ..  now Barnes has TX @ #25, beating #4 Kansas now... I don't think Buzz is going anywhere and MU is having a down year.. It CAN happen anywhere"
TX... Vill...Kentucky...NC     etc...  MU will be fine..maybe even still this year...  GO WARRIORS ! ! ! !

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
What is going on with Buzz this year?  He coached so effectively the past seasons and this year he looks like he couldn't coach a grade school team.  The players play disorganized.  Their defense stinks.  Their offense is worse.  Buzz recruited these players and we all expected a much higher level of play.  It seems like he is coaching the p[layers "down."  While most of them were stars and high scorers in high school, in Buzz's system they are luck to score in double digits.  And their defense stinks.  De Wilson played much better D his freshman year.  It really makes you wonder if Buzz has other issues or is distracted or is just doing a lousy job of coaching this year.  It's confusing and frustrating watching him coach and the team play this year.  Wish it weren't so.

He misses Larry.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
Buzz has looked out of sorts to me this season. Possibly self imposed pressure to keep things at high level has taken a toll. Love the guy and hope not too much pressure on him.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »
Buzz has looked out of sorts to me this season. Possibly self imposed pressure to keep things at high level has taken a toll. Love the guy and hope not too much pressure on him.
I just think he's geniunely at a loss.  He can't rely on anything heading into any game. He has players with potential who only show up on occasion.  He has offensively talented players who don't play hard all the time and don't defend. He doesn't have on-court leaders. He has talented freshman who play like freshman.

This roster is a mess for a number of reasons.  He has a really difficult job when you consider it all and I think he's stumped. In years past he'd pull moves out of his hat and they would work.  Nothing's worked this year.  A learning experience no doubt
No Finish Line

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
This turning on Buzz, who has restored Marquette over the last years to accomplish what it has not done since Al days is totally off base.  We have had a player lex be for the "NBA", one bail on us before the year started, one injury out for the season, and another injury (Steve) that took two months away from his playing.   And we'd it and complain about coaching. I guess we can do whatever we want on this board, but this seems over the top, IMHO.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
"Wow we turned on buzz really quick"

"We" .. no
"turned on buzz" no.
"really quick" no.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Your posting performance this year has been worse than embarrassing.
Sorry my posts embarrass you
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
I went to this game and have to say;

We gave up 10 layup dunks
         8 open threes
and showed no pride. The team has no leadership

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
I say just bend over and take it his season. Bid the seniors adios. Welcome the new dudes. Strap it on and proceed full stream ahead.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »
I think there is a difference between "turning on Buzz" and "questioning Buzz." There are many on this board who have been insulting to Buzz and his coaching this year. "Sucks" "has no idea what he is doing" "couldn't coach 7th graders" is different from "I don't understand his style" "I would have done things differently" "I think it would have been better if."

I personally have no problem with questioning Buzz and I am firmly in the "Buzz Williams is the best coach at Marquette since Al" camp. But I get very annoyed with and sometimes will attack the "turning on Buzz" crowd. Has this year been what we expected? No. But I do think a coach deserves a little loyalty from his fan base after delivering the best 5 year span we have had in years.

I firmly believe that we will pull a Nova or a Texas and be right back in the tournament again next season. I'm excited to see these freshmen become sophomores. I've seen more talent in them than I have any other freshmen during Buzz's tenure.

The one thing I will say is that while many of our fans may have "turned" on Buzz, at least we do not have a bunch of posters screaming "Fire Buzz" like I have seen from other fan bases. To my knowledge there has only been one poster who has seriously suggested firing Buzz *cough*Dreadman*cough*

RING OUT AHOYA!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »
You can only coach up a player so far.  Some players don't have the same makeup as JFB, Vander, Wes, Jerel, etc. That is not all on Buzz.  He has proven in the past that he can coach 'em up.  Is it possible that the higher ranked recruits he is getting now are harder to coach up?   

This team misses intangibles as much as anything else. 

Vander's leadership is missed as much as his stats.  Brad Stevens has stated in glowing terms how hard he practices and how much he wants it.  Not sure anyone could have anticipated the degree those factors would be missed.   

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
  Is it possible that the higher ranked recruits he is getting now are harder to coach up?   

Othe than Jamil, the higher ranked recruits are freshman, and next year's class.

Davante is great, but was not high ranked.  Same for Chris, and Jake as seniors.  I may be wrong about Juan, but Mayo and Derrick was ranked in the middle.  STJ was in the 80's nationally I believe, depending on the rating service.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
Vander was highly ranked and he was completely coachable. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
I'm definitely not turning on Buzz, who I think is one of the best, but this is just a tough team to enjoy and I don't blame anyone who loves MU hoops for being frustrated.  We play a boring style, some guys appear to be coasting here and there, the freshmen are talented but very raw and don't seem to be developing much at all (watching Burton play basketball right now, for example, as talented as he is, is simply infuriating) and the max effort guys (Derrick, Thomas, Anderson, Otule), who I have always loved, have gaping holes in their games. 

Just a tough year.  The amazing thing is we're probably, though not guaranteed, an NIT team this year.  Can you imagine having rooted for DePaul or Seton Hall for the last 5-10 years?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Do you think it's the coaching?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

Just a tough year.  The amazing thing is we're probably, though not guaranteed, an NIT team this year.  Can you imagine having rooted for DePaul or Seton Hall for the last 5-10 years?

The reality is that very few still actively root for either team.  Look at their season ticket base.  DePaul Scoop would have about 100 members.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
The reality is that very few still actively root for either team.  Look at their season ticket base.  DePaul Scoop would have about 100 members.

I believe it's called DePoop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »

Well, wearedepaul.com has 170 people online as I posted this.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&oul=1

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Do you think it's the coaching?

It's a lot of things.  I think class distribution and particularly roster construction are the biggest problems.  We seem to have an endless supply of talented athletic guys who can't shoot.

Watching the St John's game, it was obvious.  On defense we were chasing guys out to 25 feet, and the resultant spread of the defense gave St. John's all kinds of floor space and openings to exploit.  When we were on offense, St. John's just stayed close to the basket, didn't chase outside and we had no room to operate.  If you do that to us and you have a shot blocker we don't have any answers.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback