Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Postgame Comments Prediction Thread  (Read 11972 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Buzz's Postgame Comments Prediction Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
Translation: I have no answer.
translation: You are lazy and cannot read. Translation: Do your own research. Translation: You are dumbfounded.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
I'm a Buzz guy, but what I've seen this season has altered my view of him a bit.  He hasn't helped things by deflecting blame on the unfair (round robin) schedule, and complaining about the fans. For a guy that has had a mantra of toughness while he's been here, I haven't seen that from him in the face of criticism.

Buzz has always had thin-skin when it comes to fans booing and such. He complained about it back in February of 2011, after losses at home to Cincy & St. Johns. There's nothing new here.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
Well, the problem, (at least for Buzz) is that every program has expectations, and when you don't meet them, this is what you get.

Buzz has developed a very fierce me vs them, us vs the world, underdog mentality. It has worked FANTASTICALLY for him to this point in his career.

However, I wonder how long he can burn that hot before he burns himself down.

I hope the guy takes a decent vacation this summer and gets some quality time with his family, which is something he hasn't allowed himself to do in the past. He's earned it. He should be able to step away and reset in every off season.

It will be interesting to see how the team performs if/when they are the favorite again (hopefully in a couple of years). Buzz might need to explore the different physiological approach with a team like that.  

You and I are in complete agreement.  I also would strongly recommend that for the fan base in general and for Scoopers in specific.  Seriously, as a fan base we need to reflect on our attitude and expectation level.  Yes, this is a disappointing season, but if we were ever to have a below average season (this season is average for Div 1) let alone a bad season I just can't imagine what things would be like.

I get debate on the message board and disagreements as to plans and strategy, but I get the sense that there are some on here who legitimately think Buzz is on the hot seat after this season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
I get debate on the message board and disagreements as to plans and strategy, but I get the sense that there are some on here who legitimately think Buzz is on the hot seat after this season.

I hope nobody is thinking that.

Also, I hope Buzz's bosses at MU are instilling confidence in him and the work he's doing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »
Brandx

Are you serious? Jake and Derrick have horrible stints on the court and have not sat for entire halves of games. I have watched ball for quite some time and cannot say why they sat. If because of horrible play I think the coach is inconsistent in this case.

Todd played for 12 minutes and was awful. No points, no assists, no rebounds. His one contribution (a steal) became a negative (offensive foul). Add one flagrant foul and four TOs to the mix and I can't imagine 12 worse minutes. Dylan Flood would have been better. He got what he deserved in the 2nd half - a seat on the bench. Jamil was really bad also - not epic bad like Todd, but really bad. And it's not the first time our leader went missing in a big game. Buzz sent him a message - probably won't work, but nothing else has either.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Todd played for 12 minutes and was awful. No points, no assists, no rebounds. His one contribution (a steal) became a negative (offensive foul). Add one flagrant foul and four TOs to the mix and I can't imagine 12 worse minutes. Dylan Flood would have been better. He got what he deserved in the 2nd half - a seat on the bench. Jamil was really bad also - not epic bad like Todd, but really bad. And it's not the first time our leader went missing in a big game. Buzz sent him a message - probably won't work, but nothing else has either.

If I had to guess (and I don't), Buzz didn't bench those guys simply because of poor play (though that would have been warranted). I suspect that they were benched for some combination of the following things...

- lack of focus
- lack of effort
- lack of taking direction
- defensive lapses
- repeated mistakes that had been harped on in practice

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
If I had to guess (and I don't), Buzz didn't bench those guys simply because of poor play (though that would have been warranted). I suspect that they were benched for some combination of the following things...

- lack of focus
- lack of effort
- defensive lapses

+1  They were benched for those exact reasons.  They all deserved to be benched....Buzz was sending a message.
The question then needs to be asked if Buzz has lost this team for the remainder of the season.  The things you listed above should never happen to Juniors and Seniors.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:10:03 PM by BenCat12 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
Senioritis is a common malady.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
I think the problem Willie and others have is Buzz doesn't ever disclose the "big stuff."  The list is long of things people would like, but aren't going to get, a clarification on:  Vander's fight and decision to leave, the sexual assault incident, every transfer situation, the infamous one game suspensions, etc.....I am not saying I agree with Willie, but it can be frustrating.  It looks bad when he doesn't give whole truths.  His lack of disclosure on things makes it look like he and the university are hiding things.  I realize all programs do it, but it does rub people the wrong way.  I also realize it is the nature of the business, but I have heard many alumni and season ticket holders complain about this, not to mention all the program "haters," like Badger fans and local sports media.

Buzz has to protect his, the kids and the programs best interests at all costs.  Just the nature of the business

I can't comment on everything but I can offer what I know as an administrator at a major university:

Vander's fight: Buzz cannot legally say anything about the matter. Vander is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Vander's departure: I believe he can comment on this and did repeatedly. Said it was the best decision for Vander and his family. Still texts Vander weekly.

The Sexual Assault Incidents: The victim is protected by several privacy laws and the players are protected by FERPA. Buzz would have been sued multiple times for all he was worth and could have faced termination or even jail time if he muttered so much as a peep about the situations.

Transfer situations: I'm not sure on this but I believe the NCAA has some rules on what coaches can and cannot say about former players who have left the program. Even if there aren't rules, statements probably could negatively impact recruiting. Transparency is not worth this cost.

One game suspensions: "Violations of team rules" are considered conduct incidents and thus are protected by FERPA. Buzz is legally not allowed to reveal reasons for a suspension without WRITTEN consent of all players involved. Buzz is also not allowed to ask players to give consent as it is considered in an improper use of authority.

I get the frustration, but y'all are asking for things that Buzz cannot legally supply. Your beef isn't with him, it's with the NCAA and the federal government. And let me tell you, every single one of you should be grateful for these laws. Would you really want any old person (say an employer or a business rival) be able to have open access to all the stupid crap you did when you were a college student?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
I can't comment on everything but I can offer what I know as an administrator at a major university:

Vander's fight: Buzz cannot legally say anything about the matter. Vander is protected by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Vander's departure: I believe he can comment on this and did repeatedly. Said it was the best decision for Vander and his family. Still texts Vander weekly.

The Sexual Assault Incidents: The victim is protected by several privacy laws and the players are protected by FERPA. Buzz would have been sued multiple times for all he was worth and could have faced termination or even jail time if he muttered so much as a peep about the situations.

Transfer situations: I'm not sure on this but I believe the NCAA has some rules on what coaches can and cannot say about former players who have left the program. Even if there aren't rules, statements probably could negatively impact recruiting. Transparency is not worth this cost.

One game suspensions: "Violations of team rules" are considered conduct incidents and thus are protected by FERPA. Buzz is legally not allowed to reveal reasons for a suspension without WRITTEN consent of all players involved. Buzz is also not allowed to ask players to give consent as it is considered in an improper use of authority.

I get the frustration, but y'all are asking for things that Buzz cannot legally supply. Your beef isn't with him, it's with the NCAA and the federal government. And let me tell you, every single one of you should be grateful for these laws. Would you really want any old person (say an employer or a business rival) be able to have open access to all the stupid crap you did when you were a college student?
Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.  I didn't realize there are so many laws protecting players.
I understand why Buzz can't disclose more information, he is protecting his program and apparently abiding by the law.
So yes my beef and others beef is definitely with the NCAA and the government....who'd-a-thought!  Doesn't make it any less frustrating.  I still believe he could handle the situations better without violating laws, but I understand your point.  Thanks again.

brandx

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »

I expect both to play much better tonite - and by that I mean greater effort which will produce much better results. I have no doubt that Buzz made it quite clear than their effort was unsatisfactory.

brandx

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
Brandx

Are you serious? Jake and Derrick have horrible stints on the court and have not sat for entire halves of games. I have watched ball for quite some time and cannot say why they sat. If because of horrible play I think the coach is inconsistent in this case.

Yes, I am. But, I am not talking about the results - any player can have a game where things don't go right. I'm talking about their effort. Jake and Derrick have obviously had some bad games, but I would challenge you to find a play where they didn't give 100% on either end of the floor.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »

- lack of focus
- lack of effort
- defensive lapses

It has been mentioned that Jamil had the flu. If it is true, it would explain his apparent lack of effort.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

Should be pinned at the top of this board for everyone who complains about what Buzz does and doesn't say.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
So......

What do you think Buzz is going to say? ;)
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
Juan and Steve did not have good practice this week. 

brandx

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
I expect both to play much better tonite - and by that I mean greater effort which will produce much better results. I have no doubt that Buzz made it quite clear than their effort was unsatisfactory.

Not to blow my own horn about Mayo & Wilson, but....

Buzz put them on the bench and left them there against St. John's for a reason. Play hard and play smart or sit.

feedback