'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Postgame Comments Prediction Thread  (Read 11973 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Buzz's Postgame Comments Prediction Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »
Did that already in several posts--but sorry you are not satisfied.

No, actually you didn't...at all. If you'd like to point me to it, I'm all eyes. You've bitched and moaned about what you'd like him to say more about, but have provided no rationale as to why Buzz owes you an explanation.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
No, actually you didn't...at all. If you'd like to point me to it, I'm all eyes. You've bitched and moaned about what you'd like him to say more about, but have provided no rationale as to why Buzz owes you an explanation.

I think it's because Buzz makes a lot of money. Maybe it's coming out of Willie's pocket.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:59 AM »
Reading is fundamental. I have explained that he owes explanations to the fans, not just me, and why on several occasions. Do your own research.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
I am with Willie that I do think fans deserve more or better information. Buzz has done a great job of protecting the kids and the program and that is both good and bad. If fans are left to fill in the blank too often they often lean to the worst outcome over the best. If not for the unknown reasons behind suspensions and relatively high number of transfers I would normally think of positives regarding MU.

I love Buzz, but wish he would open up a bit more when things go badly. Buzz has little trouble saying negative things about players as a rule, yet protects the program very hard when he feels fit. I do accept the fact Buzz is not changing and that is fine, but if too many unknowns it leaves too much room for rumors IMO.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:50 AM »
Do you? And sorry, but I disagree with your perception about clarity. He has not addressed the Du. Wilson issue satisfactorily. I used that as on example in response to your prior question. Do you really believe that comments such as De. Wilson is an elite defender, a game changer, and the best defender he has ever coached, when the contrary has shown through this year. Might as well agree to disagree on the great communication skills of Buzz.

I bet I have a better sense for it than you do, at least based on all your demands for information which are wildly unrealistic.  I could site plenty of examples where other coaches at other schools have said far less about scenarios than Buzz has.

Hasn't explained the Du. Wilson situation?  Do you want a Zapruder like break down of how the conversation went down?  You really want Buzz to go into a detail walk through of the life and decision of an 18 year old kid?  Really, that's caring for the whole person that Marquette's about?  I can't even imagine what you would need to be "satisfied" with that "situation".

Are you a millennial?  Are you just entitled to every bit of information ever?  Would you like to know more, I bet so would I but that doesn't mean we can, should, or will know more.  I'd love to be Buzz's best friend and know everything about the organization, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I will say this, you should given some sort of award, I haven't seen trolling this hard in many a year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:04 AM »

I love Buzz, but wish he would open up a bit more when things go badly. Buzz has little trouble saying negative things about players as a rule, yet protects the program very hard when he feels fit. I do accept the fact Buzz is not changing and that is fine, but if too many unknowns it leaves too much room for rumors IMO.

Has trouble saying negative things?  He says negative things about the players all the time.  He typically couches it a little bit, but he calls his players out in the press all the time.  Remember all the times he called Gardner fat and out of shape?  Or that Derrick Wilson can't shoot?

Just like this season in general, the amount of info Buzz puts out there is about expectation.  You and Willie expect a completely open book and are disappointed when you don't get it, regardless of the fact that nobody else in Div 1 is an open book.  If fact being an open book could hamper the team.

He missed one post game conference, let's see what happens after tonight's game, I'm betting he addresses the last post game in tonight's post game, but I could be wrong.  We'll see but just because we spend time on an internet message board doesn't mean we deserve the inside track on MU basketball from the head coach.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »
Reading is fundamental. I have explained that he owes explanations to the fans, not just me, and why on several occasions. Do your own research.

Typical internet dodge, act like you've said something that you actually haven't hoping the other person is just as lazy as you to take you at your word

Troll on

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:14 AM »
I have explained that he owes explanations to the fans, not just me, and why on several occasions.

Lol! nice try. Youve made 14 posts since you were questioned on this yesterday, and yet you can't produce even a single sentence as to why you feel you are entitled to what you feel you are entitled to.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »
mu03

I sais Buzz has little trouble saying negative things about players...we agree on that. I do not care if Buzz missed the post game talk one bit, thing happen. I am not in Willie's camp 100% on this by any stretch. However, I do think Buzz can be more open when things are not going right. All in all there is little I would want to see Buzz change about his style.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:43 AM »
mu03

I sais Buzz has little trouble saying negative things about players...we agree on that. I do not care if Buzz missed the post game talk one bit, thing happen. I am not in Willie's camp 100% on this by any stretch. However, I do think Buzz can be more open when things are not going right. All in all there is little I would want to see Buzz change about his style.

I guess I get what you are saying...and this will sound harsh, not meant to but can't think of another example....you want a little more "we suck, not a good team right now, we're trying to figure it out" from Buzz.  I get that.

I think one of the things that is interesting in this whole thing is that it's a very interesting character study.  One of Buzz's greatest strengths' is that he's got an us against the world mentality that drives him to out think, out hustle, and out recruit everyone....constantly proving that he and the team belong.  However, when there is time for legitimate criticism I think that mentality serves to "bunker" Buzz.  He circles the wagons as if it were a perceived slight not a reflection of reality.  That then creates an incongruous media message.

I'm not saying this as an excuse, I'm saying it as something that fans and Buzz should both be aware of because at the end of the day we're all on the same side.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »
I'm not sure on the exact nature of the rules but there are several privacy laws that come into effect with student athletes. Some come into play from the NCAA, others from the state and federal government. In many of these situations, Buzz legally cannot say anymore than he is already saying. For example, when the sexual assault cases were going on, federal law prevented Buzz from making on comments on the ongoing cases.

Anyone with more expertise in this area care to share on what is/isn't allowed to be said by the coaches?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »
I guess knowing why Mayo did not play against UW or why Jamil sat the 2nd half would be nice to know. Several times on suspensions the announcers did not even know guys were suspended. Stated here many times we have had more suspensions in three years than the previous 40 years combined. If they are suspended for ticky tack stuff I am cool with that, but not knowing if it because of missing class or getting caught with weed makes folks talk.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »
I guess knowing why Mayo did not play against UW or why Jamil sat the 2nd half would be nice to know. Several times on suspensions the announcers did not even know guys were suspended. Stated here many times we have had more suspensions in three years than the previous 40 years combined. If they are suspended for ticky tack stuff I am cool with that, but not knowing if it because of missing class or getting caught with weed makes folks talk.

Having a beat writer who was willing to get off his couch occasionally would probably help in this regard.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »

I thought the reason why Jamil & Todd didn't play in the 2nd half was pretty obvious to anyone who watched the 1st half.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
I guess I get what you are saying...and this will sound harsh, not meant to but can't think of another example....you want a little more "we suck, not a good team right now, we're trying to figure it out" from Buzz.  I get that.

I think one of the things that is interesting in this whole thing is that it's a very interesting character study.  One of Buzz's greatest strengths' is that he's got an us against the world mentality that drives him to out think, out hustle, and out recruit everyone....constantly proving that he and the team belong.  However, when there is time for legitimate criticism I think that mentality serves to "bunker" Buzz.  He circles the wagons as if it were a perceived slight not a reflection of reality.  That then creates an incongruous media message.

I'm not saying this as an excuse, I'm saying it as something that fans and Buzz should both be aware of because at the end of the day we're all on the same side.

This is the most interesting thing written on this board in weeks.

For the record, I love Buzz, but the us vs them thing can only work for so long, right? Case in point, this year's team was the favorite, not the underdog, and the results have been disappointing.

It will be interesting to watch Buzz's evolution as a coach as he continues to have success.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
Brandx

Are you serious? Jake and Derrick have horrible stints on the court and have not sat for entire halves of games. I have watched ball for quite some time and cannot say why they sat. If because of horrible play I think the coach is inconsistent in this case.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »

This is where I totally disagree with you.  I don't think we should know these things.  It's up to the adults in the administration and athletic department to make sure everything is legit.  I don't want a 18-23 year kids business splashed all over the internet because he made a mistake.  We as fans aren't owed that.  You can make a case as a stakeholder in the university(as alumnus) that we have a vested interest in what's going on inside the team, but that's again why we have agents in the form of university administration and the athletic department.

Choices I made as a college student I wouldn't want splashed around, why should I expect any less of the student athletes?

And Navin is right, some of this vacuum is created(or perceived) because we have Jabba the Hutt running the media arm of what should be the most intrusive and independent segment of the information delivery machine.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
Lol! nice try. Youve made 14 posts since you were questioned on this yesterday, and yet you can't produce even a single sentence as to why you feel you are entitled to what you feel you are entitled to.
The posts were not just yesterday, but over the last month or so. You are just lazy, so this is all you get.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Brandx

Are you serious? Jake and Derrick have horrible stints on the court and have not sat for entire halves of games. I have watched ball for quite some time and cannot say why they sat. If because of horrible play I think the coach is inconsistent in this case.

Bingo....my guess - it's because Buzz damn well knows Derrick and Jake are limited in talent but are getting the most out of their talent, whereas Jamil and Todd are more talented but not maximizing.  Jamil - can't say a whole lot as to what ails him this year - beyond being started with a lineup of Derrick, Jake, Juan and Otule for most of the season.  Todd - Well, Buzz simply refuses to give him a consistent 30 to play through his mistakes....for the most part....only Jake and Derrick have been given the LONG leash this season...to be able to continue to play through crap performance.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
The posts were not just yesterday, but over the last month or so. You are just lazy, so this is all you get.

Translation: I have no answer.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
For free didn't you watch the game yourself! What did you see!? He doesn't have to come tell us what went wrong. You have eyes.

Maybe he stayed in the locker room and saw fit to TELL AND COACH HIS TEAM ON WHAT WENT WRONG not us! For $2.8 mil I would have...and expect no less from him.  

That is more important. If you want to know what went wrong watch his hour long coaches show...with a game right after his he was not obligated to come out and tell us anything.

After all the fans are the real experts and couch coaches, you know what went wrong. ;)   
Wow, a lot here wrong.
You do not know why he did not show but guess he saw fit to tell and coach his team. Others guess he did not have the balls. Who knows-maybe the shadow.
Does he have an hour long TV show to watch? Was not aware. He does have an hour long radio program to listen to. I have listened to three this year, and he has been at least 20 minutes late to each, leaving Homer to fill the air time. Punctuality is not one of his virtues, and that shortens the hour considerably.
If he is not obligated to come out and tell people anything on a post game show, why the hell have one? I guess it is just Buzz being Buzz, or is it Manny being Manny? I can never remember.
We all should not expect Buzz to communicate with fans, because obviously that is not part of the University's job description or expectations of a 2.8 million dollar man.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
Has trouble saying negative things?  He says negative things about the players all the time.  He typically couches it a little bit, but he calls his players out in the press all the time.  Remember all the times he called Gardner fat and out of shape?  Or that Derrick Wilson can't shoot?

Just like this season in general, the amount of info Buzz puts out there is about expectation.  You and Willie expect a completely open book and are disappointed when you don't get it, regardless of the fact that nobody else in Div 1 is an open book.  If fact being an open book could hamper the team.

He missed one post game conference, let's see what happens after tonight's game, I'm betting he addresses the last post game in tonight's post game, but I could be wrong.  We'll see but just because we spend time on an internet message board doesn't mean we deserve the inside track on MU basketball from the head coach.
You are correct, he does rip players for being fat or being unable to shoot, in the media.  This is something I, for one, could do without.  It makes him look like petty and I highly doubt it motivates anyone.  I think the problem Willie and others have is Buzz doesn't ever disclose the "big stuff."  The list is long of things people would like, but aren't going to get, a clarification on:  Vander's fight and decision to leave, the sexual assault incident, every transfer situation, the infamous one game suspensions, etc.....I am not saying I agree with Willie, but it can be frustrating.  It looks bad when he doesn't give whole truths.  His lack of disclosure on things makes it look like he and the university are hiding things.  I realize all programs do it, but it does rub people the wrong way.  I also realize it is the nature of the business, but I have heard many alumni and season ticket holders complain about this, not to mention all the program "haters," like Badger fans and local sports media.

Buzz has to protect his, the kids and the programs best interests at all costs.  Just the nature of the business
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:47:37 AM by BenCat12 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
This is the most interesting thing written on this board in weeks.

For the record, I love Buzz, but the us vs them thing can only work for so long, right? Case in point, this year's team was the favorite, not the underdog, and the results have been disappointing.

It will be interesting to watch Buzz's evolution as a coach as he continues to have success.

I am curious most about this as well.  I don't know if I'm projecting or just nervous because I think losing Buzz would be a bigger blow than losing Crean, but I get a sense he is very frustrated with the atmosphere of the fans.  What will be interesting is how he responds to it, especially the fan consternation (some deserved, some not).  It is a real character revealed moment for him, which I think he'll pass, but I get why he'd be frustrated.  Everyone is "entitled" these days and I think that is reflected in the MU fan base that is calling for heads after a very mediocre season that isn't even over yet.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
I am curious most about this as well.  I don't know if I'm projecting or just nervous because I think losing Buzz would be a bigger blow than losing Crean, but I get a sense he is very frustrated with the atmosphere of the fans.  What will be interesting is how he responds to it, especially the fan consternation (some deserved, some not).  It is a real character revealed moment for him, which I think he'll pass, but I get why he'd be frustrated.  Everyone is "entitled" these days and I think that is reflected in the MU fan base that is calling for heads after a very mediocre season that isn't even over yet.

I haven't seen many heads called for, outside of one or two people on here. If Buzz goes on to a "bigger" job, the heat will be much worse than anything he's felt this season.

I'm a Buzz guy, but what I've seen this season has altered my view of him a bit.  He hasn't helped things by deflecting blame on the unfair (round robin) schedule, and complaining about the fans. For a guy that has had a mantra of toughness while he's been here, I haven't seen that from him in the face of criticism.

This season hasn't been a good look on anyone; fans, players, or the coach.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

Well, the problem, (at least for Buzz) is that every program has expectations, and when you don't meet them, this is what you get.

Buzz has developed a very fierce me vs them, us vs the world, underdog mentality. It has worked FANTASTICALLY for him to this point in his career.

However, I wonder how long he can burn that hot before he burns himself down.

I hope the guy takes a decent vacation this summer and gets some quality time with his family, which is something he hasn't allowed himself to do in the past. He's earned it. He should be able to step away and reset in every off season.

It will be interesting to see how the team performs if/when they are the favorite again (hopefully in a couple of years). Buzz might need to explore the different physiological approach with a team like that.  

feedback