Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette: UPDATED  (Read 3747 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette: UPDATED
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »
Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette

With just a few weeks remaining until recruits can sign national letters of intent, Marquette will host PG Tyshawn Taylor this weekend per HighSchoolHoop.

According to Jeff Goodman at Fox Sports, Crean visited the St. Anthony's product earlier this week following Big East Media Day.Taylor, a 6'2" PG from one of the nation's elite high school programs, is also considering Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Kansas.  Taylor emerged as a high-major prospect after a terrific summer, particularly after his all-star performance at RBK U.

Check out these video clips of Taylor....he's one tough point guard, wow.

Perhaps Taylor will be in town tonight for MU's annual Fish Fry, followed by the practice and scrimmage at the Al McGuire Center.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/10/tyshawn-taylor-to-visit-marquette.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:01:10 AM by mu_hilltopper »

ecompt

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 08:44:47 AM »
I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Shumpert disaster, where he wants to play 37 minutes a game at PG right away. Looking back at Iman's decision, I really think his desire for consistent playing time lhis freshman year led him to GT. If Dominic stays, can any PG expect minutes in 2008-09?
Plus, this kid obviously knows Coobs. Does he want to take playing time away from him?
I sense rejection. Am I being paranoid here?

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »
i think iman liked the city of atlanta more than milwaukee.  nothing wrong with that!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »
Man does he look athletic, and seems to have a knack for rebounding.  Never hurts to have a 6'2" PG that is for sure.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »
Taylor has said he wants to play but doesn't have to start.

I wouldn't be concerned about him needing 37 minutes a game. I doubt he sees himself as a 2 and done guy like Shumpert likely does.

Lets hope he has a good visit.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
Perhaps Taylor will be in town tonight for MU's annual Fish Fry, followed by the practice and scrimmage at the Al McGuire Center.

To the fans who made the IMAN sign at Marquette Madness could you make a TAYLOR sign.

You should already have an A!

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette: UPDATED
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette: UPDATED

With just a few weeks remaining until recruits can sign national letters of intent, Marquette will host PG Tyshawn Taylor this weekend per HighSchoolHoop. According to Jeff Goodman at Fox Sports, Crean visited the St. Anthony's product earlier this week following Big East Media Day.

Taylor, a 6'2" PG from one of the nation's elite high school programs, is also considering Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Kansas. Taylor emerged as a high-major prospect after a terrific summer, particularly after his all-star performance at RBK U.

Check out these video clips of Taylor....he's one tough point guard, wow.

UPDATED
Ray Floriani, a long-time basketball reporter currently writing for Hoopville.net and Basketball Times, also officiates high school games on the East Coast. Ray was good enough to read today's blog and to provide his expert opinion on Tyshawn Taylor:
I've officiated Tyshwan Taylor's games for two years now. Over that time I've had his St.Anthony team in some scrimmages, the And1 Classic and several contests at the Hamilton Park Summer League.

About a year ago many thought he would be an Atlantic Ten guard. The thing holding him back was lack of a consistent perimeter shot. This Spring and Summer, though, he really stepped it up and is the target of ACC and Big East schools.

Taylor has worked on his shot but the thing about him is a great basketball sense. He's an outstanding defender (no surprise there because you play D or don't play for Bob Hurley). In several games I worked Taylor would trigger the break and hit a cutting wing player with a gorgeous pass. Taylor could thread the needle with his passing and he can break down a defense and get inside. One game I had, Taylor (at 6'2") dunked, yes dunked, four times in transition.

Overall, Taylor would be a great addition to any high level program. He would be a nice fit at Marquette and I think coach Crean would love having a player of his ability, competitive desire and demeanor on board.

When you play for coach Hurley two things are evident : you are superbly drilled in the fundamentals and, of course, you can accept coaching criticism. Simply, Tyshawn Taylor would be a great catch.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/10/tyshawn-taylor-to-visit-marquette.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:22:56 PM by rocky_warrior »

Ready2Fly

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Tyshawn Taylor to visit Marquette: UPDATED
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »
A Shumpert loss and a Taylor gain reminds me a lot of the Frasor loss - James gain from a couple years back... we could end up getting the better end of the deal again... but I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
It sounds like in terms of potential upside Taylor > Shumpert ???

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »
I don't know much at all about this kid, but I will say that I am very impressed watching the clips of him.  I'm not saying he is better than Iman, but his video clips actually impressed me more than Shumpert's.  Is Taylor ranked on any sites? Whats the scoop on him? Has be been on MU's radar for awhile?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
Is Taylor ranked on any sites? Whats the scoop on him? Has be been on MU's radar for awhile?

Also what are the schools he is interested in? 

Can we get Dwyane back here tonight if Taylor's visiting?!?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 02:57:51 PM »
Is Taylor ranked on any sites? Whats the scoop on him? Has be been on MU's radar for awhile?

Scout: UR overall/#18 point guard
Rivals: #104 overall/#21 point guard

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »

Scout's got him as a 3 star prospect.  He also (still?) has a laundry list of teams he's still interested in -- that doesn't bode well.  Those teams are GT, Kansas, Marq, Virginia, V-Tech, Mizzou, Cincy, DePaul, Rutgers, SJs and West Virginia.  Needless to say if we lose him, we might be losing him to another Big East team which would compound the loss.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »

Scout's got him as a 3 star prospect.  He also (still?) has a laundry list of teams he's still interested in -- that doesn't bode well.  Those teams are GT, Kansas, Marq, Virginia, V-Tech, Mizzou, Cincy, DePaul, Rutgers, SJs and West Virginia.  Needless to say if we lose him, we might be losing him to another Big East team which would compound the loss.

He's not really still interested in all of those teams.  His main four are MU, Kansas, Va Tech and GT.  The others have either been eliminated, or are way down the list, he's not even taking official visits to them.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »
If he wants to play the point why would he even look at GT? Iman's going to dominate the ball there for at least a year.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »
He's not really still interested in all of those teams.  His main four are MU, Kansas, Va Tech and GT.  The others have either been eliminated, or are way down the list, he's not even taking official visits to them.

Well, that helps matters quite a bit.  Thanks for the correction.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 04:39:06 PM »

Couple More:

USA Today:  #82 Overall, #16 PG....this is done by Rob Harrington who is one of the guys behind Prepstars, so I would assume their ranking is similar.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-harrington-rankings.htm

HoopScoop supposedly has him at #56, I don't have access to their rankings but someone on a Fordham board posted that he was ranked there by them in August while discussing one of Taylor's HS teammates.

And now for the shocking one.  ESPN/Scouts Inc.  which is not the same as Scout, but is supposedly done by Bob Gibbons has him as(prepare yourselves)...#62 Shooting Guard and not ranked in the top 150.  Clearly they are the outlier, and they haven't really seen him, because he isn't even a shooting guard.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »
If he wants to play the point why would he even look at GT? Iman's going to dominate the ball there for at least a year.

Because supposedly he was told that they could play together.  Quote from Zagoria's blog:

Georgia Tech and Marquette are also recruiting point guard Iman Shumpert, but Taylor said he was told they could play together.

"He can shoot better than me," Taylor said. "They could play him at the two."

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:42 PM »
"They could play him at the two."????
Did someone tell Iman that he's not going to be at the point?