Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo article in the JS  (Read 15194 times)

madtownwarrior

• All American
Mayo article in the JS
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
I find this quote odd:

"But (assistant) coaches like (Jerry) Wainwright and Jeff (Reynolds) always want me to sit down and talk to him about getting in a little bit earlier and getting a rhythm because they feel like I help the team," Mayo said. "But I'm a guy who really doesn't get into all of that. Obviously every player wants to play a lot, but I want to see what he thinks is best for the team.

"I think he's starting to realize it a little bit. At the same time, I like to see the other guys get going and hopefully I can come in and be at the pace they're at."

Assistants telling the player to ask head coach for earlier playing time?   Don't assistants advise the head coach on who should be playing and when to help the team?

"Buzz starting to realize it a bit?"

No judgements, seems a little odd...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/todd-mayo-could-be-critical-in-marquette-stretch-run-b99194491z1-242683591.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Mayo article in the JS
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »
So why do people think Mayo is a bad team player again? I loved what I was hearing from him in this article
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »
Found it interesting that Buzz pointed out Mayo is shooting just 29% from the 3pt line in Big East play..essentially downplaying his performance....while he props up the performance of a kid shooting 9% and citing his amazing 6-13 shooting night against Butler...not to mention, no mention of the starter at the 2G, having made only 2, 2pt FG's for an entire year.

Ironic that Wainwright and Reynolds feel Todd should be playing more...and I suspect they along with Chew feel the same about our PG situation....but....they aint the head coach so it doesn't matter!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
Found it interesting that Buzz pointed out Mayo is shooting just 29% from the 3pt line in Big East play..essentially downplaying his performance....while he props up the performance of a kid shooting 9% and citing his amazing 6-13 shooting night against Butler...not to mention, no mention of the starter at the 2G, having made only 2, 2pt FG's for an entire year.

Ironic that Wainwright and Reynolds feel Todd should be playing more...and I suspect they along with Chew feel the same about our PG situation....but....they aint the head coach so it doesn't matter!

YES!!! Here we go again...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »

Never stop being you. To all of the "haters," it isn't as if Ners is going on these diatribes about Wilson without providing good evidence of why Wilson is terrible and should not be playing. Pretty much every post reveals more statistics about why Wilson is painfully inferior--the more hard evidence the better so the Wilson sympathists can start seeing the light.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »

Nobody better than you to twist, misinterpret and imagine to feed your confirmation bias.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »

I agree....

but it is the #1 issue affecting the team and nothing is even a close 2nd.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »

Of course what you do.

But the article *doesn't* flat out say that Wainwright and Reynolds feel Todd should be playing more.  This is the quote from Todd:

"But (assistant) coaches like (Jerry) Wainwright and Jeff (Reynolds) always want me to sit down and talk to him about getting in a little bit earlier and getting a rhythm because they feel like I help the team,"

And then later he adds this:

"I think for us to get over the edge I need to have more greediness in me. I have to be controlled with it, not making crazy plays turning the ball over or being too greedy with it.

"I have to use my mind when I am greedy with it and break out of this shell. I felt like when it went into overtime against Villanova I felt like I got us there, but I didn't know what the next step was.

"I felt like I should controlled the tempo more when Buzz was running plays for me. I felt like after the game was over and I watched film, I felt like I should have been more aggressive. After Jamil (Wilson) fouled out, I felt like I should have been more aggressive in the game. Davante (Gardner) stayed aggressive, but I just kind of faded away a little bit."

I think it is very obvious from reading this is that they want Todd to grab a hold of things on an off the floor.  Not only should he go out and be more aggressive on the floor, but talk to Buzz about what you want.  Look, the coaching staff knows what is going on here - they talk all the time.  (Buzz alluded as such during the radio show yesterday.)  Todd is a junior who is going to be counted on heavily next year.  Step up and say that you *want* it.  Teachable moment.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:51:47 AM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
Never stop being you. To all of the "haters," it isn't as if Ners is going on these diatribes about Wilson without providing good evidence of why Wilson is terrible and should not be playing. Pretty much every post reveals more statistics about why Wilson is painfully inferior--the more hard evidence the better so the Wilson sympathists can start seeing the light.

To be honest, I'm just finding Ners laughable at this point.  He could take the local weather report and turn it into a negative about Derrick Wilson.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Nobody better than you to twist, misinterpret and imagine to feed your confirmation bias.

LOL - Says the guy who continues to think our PG getting max minutes of anyone on the team shooting 8%, 35% and 48% from the 3, 2 and 1 deserves to be on the floor 30 minutes per game...while team is 10-9!

Do you not find it at all ironic that assistant coaches encourage Mayo to go to Buzz for more PT...and Tod also mention how it would help him get into a better rhythm??  But some here think you should put up great numbers in 2-3 minute stints of action...to hell with getting in a rhythm.

Do you not find it funny that on the radio show last night Buzz mentions Derrick being 6-13 against Butler as evidence he can shoot and is worthy of PT, yet then essentially makes a case against Mayo shooting 29% from the 3 point line in conference play as justification for him not playing more?

So..he uses the outlier stat on Derrick to support him playing....and for the most part finds the worst stat on Todd he can find to justify him not playing more.  Ironic.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
LOL - Says the guy who continues to think our PG getting max minutes of anyone on the team shooting 8%, 35% and 48% from the 3, 2 and 1 deserves to be on the floor 30 minutes per game...while team is 10-9!

Do you not find it at all ironic that assistant coaches encourage Mayo to go to Buzz for more PT...

Hang on folks....it's the Ners' Ride of Out of Context Quotes!!!!

This one looks like a real long one so buckle up!!!!

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »

Not sure how you've been following this team for as long as you have and you can't grasp that Buzz says different things about each player depending on what he thinks they can/can not take in terms of criticism.  Some guys like to get that negative feedback, some guys don't.  That drives how he describes his players in the public forum.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »

To be honest, I'm just finding Ners laughable at this point.  He could take the local weather report and turn it into a negative about Derrick Wilson.

Look out your window, Sultan! Derrick Wilson played back-up minutes for 2 years and the winter was pretty typical. He's playing nearly 30 min/game now and there's a polar vortex! Coincidence? I don't think so.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

The board was becoming more readable this morning, but I guess that is over.  It apparently does not take much to get Ners out of the relaxed state he said he was going to adopt.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
Look out your window, Sultan! Derrick Wilson played back-up minutes for 2 years and the winter was pretty typical. He's playing nearly 30 min/game now and there's a polar vortex! Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yeah, well, he's from Alaska, so...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
It's hard to believe that in only 15 posts, this had become the worst thread ever.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
To me, Buzz is like Al.  There are no state secrets.  If you think something and want to tell a reporter, that's cool, just be a man about it and own up to it.

I think we parse this stuff a lot more than the team does.

The Todd on Jamil press is a great example.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »
So..he uses the outlier stat on Derrick to support him playing....and for the most part finds the worst stat on Todd he can find to justify him not playing more.  Ironic.
Wait a minute...

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
I find this quote odd:

"But (assistant) coaches like (Jerry) Wainwright and Jeff (Reynolds) always want me to sit down and talk to him about getting in a little bit earlier and getting a rhythm because they feel like I help the team," Mayo said. "But I'm a guy who really doesn't get into all of that. Obviously every player wants to play a lot, but I want to see what he thinks is best for the team.

"I think he's starting to realize it a little bit. At the same time, I like to see the other guys get going and hopefully I can come in and be at the pace they're at."

Assistants telling the player to ask head coach for earlier playing time?   Don't assistants advise the head coach on who should be playing and when to help the team?

"Buzz starting to realize it a bit?"

No judgements, seems a little odd...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/todd-mayo-could-be-critical-in-marquette-stretch-run-b99194491z1-242683591.html

I also find those quotes a little weird about the playing time.  But I think what is meant is that the assistant coaches are trying to motivate Todd to go out and want it a little more... like maybe we all know he has the skillset, but Buzz wants to see the fire out of him to want to go out and make an impact.  Todd has that explosive ability but sometimes he seems to hide around in the background. We know he can be the guy and we want him to be the guy, but he's gotta want to be the guy.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »
Wait a minute...

I sir would like to honor this comment with a tip of my cap.

Well done.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
I think it is very obvious from reading this is that they want Todd to grab a hold of things on an off the floor.  Not only should he go out and be more aggressive on the floor, but talk to Buzz about what you want.  Look, the coaching staff knows what is going on here - they talk all the time.  (Buzz alluded as such during the radio show yesterday.)  Todd is a junior who is going to be counted on heavily next year.  Step up and say that you *want* it.  Teachable moment.

I also find those quotes a little weird about the playing time.  But I think what is meant is that the assistant coaches are trying to motivate Todd to go out and want it a little more... like maybe we all know he has the skillset, but Buzz wants to see the fire out of him to want to go out and make an impact.  Todd has that explosive ability but sometimes he seems to hide around in the background. We know he can be the guy and we want him to be the guy, but he's gotta want to be the guy.

This is exactly how I took the quotes. Todd appears to be a very mellow individual (almost to a fault), can come across as very content and doesn't really have a "take charge" personality. Buzz and the coaches want him to want to be great, but only Todd really has control over that.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »

Oh sweet, sweet irony.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
Oh sweet, sweet irony.

Really?

Tell me one time that I have taken a topic about one player, and morphed it into part of a constant negative refrain about another.

No need to respond promptly...because this search will take awhile.  Good luck to you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

Really?

Tell me one time that I have taken a topic about one player, and morphed it into part of a constant negative refrain about another.

No need to respond promptly...because this search will take awhile.  Good luck to you.
It was more in reference to your unceasing defense of Wilson. Sorry for the prompt response.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
It was more in reference to your unceasing defense of Wilson. Sorry for the prompt response.

Oh....then it wasn't irony since I don't take discussions off topic like I was referring to.

And the fact that you think I have an "unceasing defense of Wilson" shows that you also have a reading problem.

Good luck to you.

feedback