collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hours worked  (Read 8796 times)

tower912

• All American
Hours worked
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
Chicos reference in a different thread how much time he spends working.   So, rather that let that thread go off the rails from what is an otherwise fascinating discussion, I decided to start a thread discussing how many hours a week people work.   
I work three 24 hours shifts every nine days.   I go in at 7am and come home the following morning.   I am allowed to sleep at work.  I am allowed to work out and watch sports on TV while doing so at work.  If it weren't for those pesky 6-8 alarms a day, it would be a perfect job.    ;D And lately, it seems that there is at least one alarm during every MU game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Hours worked
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Chicos reference in a different thread how much time he spends working.   So, rather that let that thread go off the rails from what is an otherwise fascinating discussion, I decided to start a thread discussing how many hours a week people work.   
I work three 24 hours shifts every nine days.   I go in at 7am and come home the following morning.   I am allowed to sleep at work.  I am allowed to work out and watch sports on TV while doing so at work.  If it weren't for those pesky 6-8 alarms a day, it would be a perfect job.    ;D And lately, it seems that there is at least one alarm during every MU game. 

What do you do?  Sounds like you're a fireman?

brandx

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »

Wow - so am I.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
I am a Scooper with actual data.

The company YE labor report says I logged 2851 working hours in 2013.  This does not count vacation and holidays. Too many, but I believe that is lower than 2012 (thank God).

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
I am a Scooper with actual data.

The company YE labor report says I logged 2851 working hours in 2013.  This does not count vacation and holidays. Too many, but I believe that is lower than 2012 (thank God).

I used to work Public Accounting until last year.  Last year is the only year I remember but my other years were similar.  I was just under 2600 hours so assuming 50 weeks and 5 days a week would be about 10 hours a day.  Of course that doesn't account vacations or working on the weekends which I did pretty frequently.  Now I am in industry and I work 8 hours a day with hardly ever anything left to do at home or on weekends.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »
I used to work Public Accounting until last year.  Last year is the only year I remember but my other years were similar.  I was just under 2600 hours so assuming 50 weeks and 5 days a week would be about 10 hours a day.  Of course that doesn't account vacations or working on the weekends which I did pretty frequently.  Now I am in industry and I work 8 hours a day with hardly ever anything left to do at home or on weekends.

Congrats on the change.  I plan to be there in a year or two.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:20:48 PM by Archies Bat »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
What do you do?  Sounds like you're a fireman?
Guilty.   But I thought that was well known.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Guilty.   But I thought that was well known.
How do you like it?  It's what I've been considering getting in to.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
Look for a PM from me.   No need to bore the board with a monologue. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
The current work situation in the US is very depressing. I hate that we're a "live to work" country. Pay workers as little as possible even while individual productivity increases (usually because it has to due to lack of full staffing), continue to make cutbacks every year, and sit on gobs and gobs of cash.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »
I get up at 4:30 am, strength train and otherwise get more awesome for my upcoming triathlon, until 7:00am.  Go into the office (I'm a therapist) until 4:00 pm.  Get home have a beer, watch tv, make love, or go get more awesome at the gym. Rinse and repeat.   Basically I'm better than all of you.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
A wealthy person once told be "you'll never become a millionaire working 40 hours a week". Ever since, I've worked 60+ hours weekly. Now, I'M RICH B!TCH!!!!!$$$$$. Lol. No brag

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
The current work situation in the US is very depressing. I hate that we're a "live to work" country. Pay workers as little as possible even while individual productivity increases (usually because it has to due to lack of full staffing), continue to make cutbacks every year, and sit on gobs and gobs of cash.

I hate that we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world of anyone that counts and as a result many of these outcomes are a result of that.

Works both ways.  Don't penalize companies and you might be amazed at what they will spend their money on.  Penalize them, they're going to park it elsewhere. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
A wealthy person once told be "you'll never become a millionaire working 40 hours a week". Ever since, I've worked 60+ hours weekly. Now, I'M RICH B!TCH!!!!!$$$$$. Lol. No brag

Yeah. You get rich by working about 10 hours and then making other people do everything for you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
I hate that we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world of anyone that counts and as a result many of these outcomes are a result of that.

Works both ways.  Don't penalize companies and you might be amazed at what they will spend their money on.  Penalize them, they're going to park it elsewhere. 

While I understand that basic premise is that a company's job is to make money, if the things I listed are just a result of high corporate tax, why have executive salaries far outpaced worker salaries since the 80s?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
Tower, do you guys have a schedule where its work, off, work, off, work, off, work, off 4 days or something like that?

Or is California the only place that does that kind of thing for fire fighters?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »

Ive really learned that its about working smarter, not working longer.  I'm in brand management/marketing for a Fortune 100 company, and my division's VP (who is relatively young and very successful/good at his job) rarely works more than 50 hours in a regular week.  Now I'm not counting time working at home or answering emails outside of the office, but actual in office work isn't more than that.  It ebbs and flows, and he's there when it gets crazy, but there is a big emphasis on not working just to work.  My business unit as a whole gets pretty thin after 5PM and we just came off one of our best years, numbers wise.  Its refreshing coming from advertising where people would be chained to their desk till 7-8 at the earliest, and much of what they were doing was BS busy work.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
Ive really learned that its about working smarter, not working longer.  I'm in brand management/marketing for a Fortune 100 company, and my division's VP (who is relatively young and very successful/good at his job) rarely works more than 50 hours in a regular week.  Now I'm not counting time working at home or answering emails outside of the office, but actual in office work isn't more than that.  It ebbs and flows, and he's there when it gets crazy, but there is a big emphasis on not working just to work.  My business unit as a whole gets pretty thin after 5PM and we just came off one of our best years, numbers wise.  Its refreshing coming from advertising where people would be chained to their desk till 7-8 at the earliest, and much of what they were doing was BS busy work.

There is a lot of truth to this.  A lot of it is driven by the type of work one does and his\her bosses as well.  I can go a week where it's pretty mainstream 8 to 6 kind of thing, but then you get a call at 9pm on a Friday night and someone wants something major on Monday morning at 9:00am.  That means you spend all day Saturday and Sunday cranking it out.  Those are fun.  Ebbs and flows are right.  Worst part is having your main boss in NYC when you are in L.A.   That time difference is a bitch for so many reasons.  When you get your stuff done at midnight your time, he is only 3 hours away from waking up and unleashing new directives. 

brandx

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
There is a lot of truth to this.  A lot of it is driven by the type of work one does and his\her bosses as well.  I can go a week where it's pretty mainstream 8 to 6 kind of thing, but then you get a call at 9pm on a Friday night and someone wants something major on Monday morning at 9:00am.  That means you spend all day Saturday and Sunday cranking it out.  Those are fun.  Ebbs and flows are right.  Worst part is having your main boss in NYC when you are in L.A.   That time difference is a bitch for so many reasons.  When you get your stuff done at midnight your time, he is only 3 hours away from waking up and unleashing new directives. 

Deadlines are one of the few things I actually miss not working anymore. Needed to get that adrenaline flowing. Needed the urgency. Luckily my boss was the same way. And if you've ever dealt with advertising/graphics/marketing, you know how much is demanded at the last minute from an IT standpoint.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Tower, quick question.  Do all firemen have to double as EMTs?  Or perhaps double as a full paramedic?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:17:36 PM »
Enough of the boring stuff - how much do you guys make?!

I used to be comfortable up into the 70's for hours in a week... now once I get into the low 70's I become (more) useless. Over the years I have become a BIG fan of sleep and working less.

My guy ZFB gets paid for performance. $1.28 per bottle of Dasani sold at Admirals games. Two weeks ago he sold 72!!

The thing about firemen is they have to be comfortable making out with dudes. It's part of the training I have heard.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
80+ hours regularly.  Best week is about 55-60.  Partner at a large global services organization (big/complex 'bet the company' type projects).  I work too much - and more than most of my peers - but manage to schedule enough exercise (run marathons) to stay sane.  Watching teams do the impossible is rewarding.  I also have the advantage of having grown up on a farm and never knowing what a less intense schedule feels like... will never work more hours or harder than my father or grandfather did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Deadlines are one of the few things I actually miss not working anymore. Needed to get that adrenaline flowing. Needed the urgency. Luckily my boss was the same way. And if you've ever dealt with advertising/graphics/marketing, you know how much is demanded at the last minute from an IT standpoint.

Yup, spent much of my early career in that very space.  Getting the spot done, the creative completed, the approvals, the artwork....legal deadline....etc, etc.  Often a fire drill of epic proportions.  Fun, exciting...exhausting.  I actually didn't mind those so much either.  This is more strategy type of stuff with fairly high level of analytics and you hope like hell you have though of every assumption that is plausible, because if you haven't you're f'd.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »

Works both ways.  Don't penalize companies and you might be amazed at what they will spend their money on.  Penalize them, they're going to park it elsewhere.  

So if we cut the tax rate, the off shore money is coming back to the US...right?!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Actual hours worked...as an educator?
Other than 40+ hour weeks in the classroom, technology is now encroaching into the evenings.
It used to be that you'd grade and plan after school or at night, but now Google Docs need editing, emails need answering, etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:52:11 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

brandx

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
Yup, spent much of my early career in that very space.  Getting the spot done, the creative completed, the approvals, the artwork....legal deadline....etc, etc.  Often a fire drill of epic proportions.  Fun, exciting...exhausting.  I actually didn't mind those so much either.  This is more strategy type of stuff with fairly high level of analytics and you hope like hell you have though of every assumption that is plausible, because if you haven't you're f'd.

Lots of good analytics software out there now - but you still always had to think on your feet. I preferred the "this had to be to the vendor/sales meeting/ whatever 5 minutes ago" scenario.