2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The new Big East is garbage  (Read 9180 times)

dolly4512

• Walk-On
The new Big East is garbage
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
-georgetown and marquette stink
-the games in nyc are often non-HD and hard to locate
-television ratings are poor
-the announcers and in-studio personalities are third-rate

marquette has a nice recruiting class coming in. however, make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.

radome

• Team Captain
Re: The new Big East is garbage
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
Last year (and previous years) I loved to watch the other teams in the conference play one another. I haven't watched one game except our games this year. I'm not sure if it is our poor performance or the new conference. I suppose it is probably a bit of both.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
-georgetown and marquette stink
-the games in nyc are often non-HD and hard to locate
-television ratings are poor
-the announcers and in-studio personalities are third-rate

marquette has a nice recruiting class coming in. however, make no mistake, this slide in competition and exposure will negatively affect recruiting going forward.

ditto

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
Wrong. The New Big East is solid, and will improve with time. No college bball gets great ratings before mid January, no matter the network. If you can't find the channels, pay an extra 10 bucks a month and upgrade your damn cable package and stop b*itching. FS1 is not ESPN, but it will be a huge asset for the Big East going forward.

As for the talent of the league, yeah Georgetown and Marquette are down this year, but the league as a whole is solid from 1-10. Anyone can beat anyone, and besides Depaul and Seton Hall (who have both been playing well), the other 8 teams will be in the NCAA or NIT. The Big East will be a step below the B10 and ACC most seasons, but it will be right there with the PAC 12, BIG12 and SEC. Is it the Big East of 2006-2012? Obviously not, but this league is not garbage - not even close.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »
The conference is currently ranked 4th. Yes that's not as good as the Big East before the split, but it's a far cry from garbage. We have been blessed with some amazingly tight matchups (I'd be willing to bet that the BE has had more OT games than any other conference to this point). We have good teams from 1-10. On any given night Depaul could beat Villanova. That is great for competition.

The ratings are down, that sucks. But as 5J mentioned, no one has good ratings this time of year. At least every single one of our games is on national TV.

I'm really not sure what we are complaining about. The split from the AAC has been nothing but good for us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
Last year (and previous years) I loved to watch the other teams in the conference play one another. I haven't watched one game except our games this year. I'm not sure if it is our poor performance or the new conference. I suppose it is probably a bit of both.
I would respectfully submit that if you have only watched our games this year, you have not really been watching anything to judge from, as we have been stinking it up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
I would respectfully submit that if you have only watched our games this year, you have not really been watching anything to judge from, as we have been stinking it up.

What possible purpose does this post serve.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »

In good news Ahmed Hill will be up on saturday for the Villanova game.... Got word of it this morning... Hope that influences the guys to be on their A-Game..... Wishful thinking...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
That you cannot judge the play of the entire conference just watching our lame games!!!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
That you cannot judge the play of the entire conference just watching our lame games!!!!!!!

Then why not say something like, Creighton has been extremely good, the Xavier/Creighton game was an excellent game and Providence was able to come out and dominate Creighton at Providence.

There are great games and great teams in the Big East, although a down year for MU, the BE is solid.

See how that post contains the same information in general but does not take unnecessary shots at the team.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

Right....

Villanova 16-1
Creighton 15-3
Xavier 14-4
Providence 13-5

if the season ended today they would be 2, 4, 5, and 6 seeds at least in the ncaa tournament....

this conference is far from weak.....

all those teams have what we dont..... Senior leadership! outside shooting! Hustle and heart....

just because Marquette looks like 12 walk on freshmen every night... doesnt mean the New big east is weak...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
if mu and gtown were doing what they typically have done over the last few years this would be a heck of a conference.  mu and gtown will get back to normal in future years, and hopefully a coaching change can bring success to st. johns. 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
if mu and gtown were doing what they typically have done over the last few years this would be a heck of a conference.  mu and gtown will get back to normal in future years, and hopefully a coaching change can bring success to st. johns. 

St. Johns has talent..... they just dont win... its Baffling... this year

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

I've caught parts of one or two, but I know what you mean, and it's both the conference lacking and the availability of games lacking.  Used to always have the Big Monday matchup on because it would inevitably be between two top 20 teams, and before our games on Saturdays there would be some other BE game between teams that were locks for the tournament.  Yesterday I would have tuned in to Georgetown losing by double digits at home to a team that lost to Mercer, Farleigh Dickinson, and St. Peter's.  Monday will be a treat, since it offers the only possible combination of two tournament locks in the conference.  Also can't turn on the set and see every game...one program upgrade for FS1, would have to have another for FS2, would have to have a special package for CBSSN, nothing at all online.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
In good news Ahmed Hill will be up on saturday for the Villanova game.... Got word of it this morning... Hope that influences the guys to be on their A-Game..... Wishful thinking...

Can we suit him up in Jake's uni and let him fling it?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
I never understood why people were so excited to leave ESPN. I'm beginning to think that these people all live in Milwaukee and get the local broadcast. If you are out of state, leaving espn has sucked.

I'm told I'm suppose to be "patient." Yeah....sure.

And I think I watched what looked like the first real BE game of the season yesterday. Huge crowd...espn...two ranked teams...a dog fight...Pitt...Syracuse.  :(

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
I like this league a lot. It competitive from top to bottom. The double round robin format will help really develop rivalries. Also the production quality on FS1 is excellent. We get all the games one way or another, just like before. Marquette has to step it up if it wants to compete in this league long term.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
The reality is that our Conference Brand took a major hit this past year. We have gone from being in the premiere basketball conference to the 5th or 6th best. But that doesn't mean Marquette basketball cannot flourish.

Pfizer grossly overpaid for Warner Lambert precisely because it wanted a few assets, such as Listerine. Chrysler bought AMC for Jeep. Our new conference has some excellent assets, including Marquette. My biggest concern is the timing of our off year. This season was not the one in which to flail. Next season takes on significantly greater importance.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
I never understood why people were so excited to leave ESPN. I'm beginning to think that these people all live in Milwaukee and get the local broadcast. If you are out of state, leaving espn has sucked.

I'm told I'm suppose to be "patient." Yeah....sure.

And I think I watched what looked like the first real BE game of the season yesterday. Huge crowd...espn...two ranked teams...a dog fight...Pitt...Syracuse.  :(

I live in SE Texas. I have seen every Marquette game and have tuned into other Big East games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »
I live in SE Texas. I have seen every Marquette game and have tuned into other Big East games.

It really is no excuse. I don't live in Wisconsin and have had zero problem getting a game. The people who complain are just to cheap to spend an extra 10 bucks a month. It's a joke. Every MU game has been and will be nationally televised. Pay up or shut up.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
Yeah, I really wish we were in the American Athletic Conference.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »

Availability isn't the problem. Never said that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
Availability isn't the problem. Never said that.

So explain why you said the people who like FS1 are all local and get the "local broadcast" which I don't believe even exists anymore? What's your problem with FS1 if it is not availability?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
It really is no excuse. I don't live in Wisconsin and have had zero problem getting a game. The people who complain are just to cheap to spend an extra 10 bucks a month. It's a joke. Every MU game has been and will be nationally televised. Pay up or shut up.

Old 5 J's tells it like it is!

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Don't worry about the ratings. If some of FS1 games were on ESPN, they would be higher. It's more of people not finding the channel or saying I wonder what is on FS1.