Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Buzz ever realize?  (Read 8731 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Will Buzz ever realize?
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Buzz is TOO loyal to his upperclassmen.  The players are who they are. Buzz is more of the problem than the few non D-1 players we have.

Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8.    A team is only as good as it's leaders.     Butler, Crowder, DJO, Blue.......uhhhhhhh.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8.    A team is only as good as it's leaders.     Butler, Crowder, DJO, Blue.......uhhhhhhh.   

I'd tend to say that you could have great "leadership," but without a good Point Guard, that leadership won't matter much.  We've gotten a little spoiled at MU over the years with having really good Point Guards, and if you look at the successful teams -they all had good PG's.

Go back to Tony Miller, then Aaron Hutchins, then Cordell Henry - though Hutch and Henry lacked good players around them for a couple of their years running the show.  Then Diener, than Dominic, then Junior.  

Just really hard to be good in college hoop or any level for that matter - with a suspect PG...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
Junior wasn't a great PG.  There were many calls to have Derrick start over him because of the frustration level with him.   Derrick frequently looked better than he did.     Junior had a dynamic 2G next to him who attacked the basket.   IMO, if this team had Vander Blue, it would be ranked in the top 25.   Simple as that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »

Factual comments like this would get you banned on that D-Bag Dodd's board!

Just keep saying he's a great defender. Tow the line.

I was always amused when Dodds would take such glee in being the first to report something about MU Basketball. He seems to genuinely believe that he is a legitimate journalist which is fine but then he turns around and bans open discussion in that very same venue.

Borrowing a line from Chico but that is a stellar example of hypocrisy with the delicious irony of it being around the First Amendment. Dodds is one of those guys who likely never really fit in and if you dare to disagree with him he takes his toys and goes home. I would love to have a beer with Mike Juno.

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
Junior wasn't a great PG.  There were many calls to have Derrick start over him because of the frustration level with him.   Derrick frequently looked better than he did.     Junior had a dynamic 2G next to him who attacked the basket.   IMO, if this team had Vander Blue, it would be ranked in the top 25.   Simple as that.

Junior was WAY better than Derrick has been this year - no contest.  Junior was great in transition, very good at getting into the paint, and very good at getting easy looks for our bigs, including Crowder his junior year.  Junior also had an effective pull mid range game coming off of ball screens.  Have we seen Derrick even attempt a jumper off the bounce?

I would say that of the PG's of the past 20 years, Junior probably rates behind Diener, Tony Miller, Hutch, Cordell and Dom - but Junior was much better than Derrick has played this year.

Losing Vander hurts, yes, but I believe that's been way over-stated.  We miss Junior more than Vander in my opinion - as Mayo could take up Vander's production.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
Junior was WAY better than Derrick has been this year - no contest.  Junior was great in transition, very good at getting into the paint, and very good at getting easy looks for our bigs, including Crowder his junior year.  Junior also had an effective pull mid range game coming off of ball screens.  Have we seen Derrick even attempt a jumper off the bounce?

I would say that of the PG's of the past 20 years, Junior probably rates behind Diener, Tony Miller, Hutch, Cordell and Dom - but Junior was much better than Derrick has played this year.

Losing Vander hurts, yes, but I believe that's been way over-stated.  We miss Junior more than Vander in my opinion - as Mayo could take up Vander's production.  

While that is true, I think that Van would have seen a lot more action at the 1 this year, and he would be taking up Cadougan's minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
If you notice every time we made a run Dawson and Burton was on the floor, then Buzz for some odd reason sits them on the bench and all the momentum went away.  Guys, Buzz is not a good coach. Plain and simple.

Oh, this is absolutely true!

When, oh when, will Marquette fire this poser and hire a coach who can get us past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »
Oh, this is absolutely true!

When, oh when, will Marquette fire this poser and hire a coach who can get us past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament?

Well, this year the more relevant question would be  hire a coach who can get us past into the first weekend of the NCAA tournament...

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
Burton is the best most aggressive player on the team..by far. Should start but in Buzz YOU ALL trust..smh

FIFY

I love me some Burton but he makes way too many bad decisions to be consider our best player. There is more to basketball than scoring and agression. Gotta play defense and not turn the ball over as well
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
FIFY

I love me some Burton but he makes way too many bad decisions to be consider our best player. There is more to basketball than scoring and agression. Gotta play defense and not turn the ball over as well

I get the feeling your take on basketball is that you need a bunch of amazing defenders, who cannot score the ball - and that is a formula for winning.  Defense is great, but at the end of the day you need guys who can put it in the bucket, and get their own shot off.

And, just FYI - steals and blocked shots are considered big parts of defense.  Guess who leads the team in both categories??  Ding Ding Ding - Deonte Burton.  And, 7 guys on the team have played more minutes than Deonte.

Some of you resident Derrick Wilson fans need to realize Derrick has 16 steals and 1 blocked shot in 463 minutes of action.  Burton checks in with 22 steals and 14 blocks in 235 minutes - or HALF as many minutes as Derrick.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

I agree with you, but Junior didn't have Jake being able to shoot like he does and help spread the floor.  Swap Junior for D. Wilson and we are a top 25 team this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
All of a sudden Junior becomes larger than life. You guys need a memory like a turtle. He sucked ass too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
I get the feeling your take on basketball is that you need a bunch of amazing defenders, who cannot score the ball - and that is a formula for winning.  Defense is great, but at the end of the day you need guys who can put it in the bucket, and get their own shot off.

And, just FYI - steals and blocked shots are considered big parts of defense.  Guess who leads the team in both categories??  Ding Ding Ding - Deonte Burton.  And, 7 guys on the team have played more minutes than Deonte.

Some of you resident Derrick Wilson fans need to realize Derrick has 16 steals and 1 blocked shot in 463 minutes of action.  Burton checks in with 22 steals and 14 blocks in 235 minutes - or HALF as many minutes as Derrick.

Ners you seem like a patron at a Basketball Stat Buffet.  Picking and choosing stats as they fit the situation as you see it.  Steals and blocks are important, but so are proper rotation and not getting lost on defense.  If the young guys don't give up easy buckets through lack of rotation on d it doesn't matter how many blocks and steals they get, they're going to ride the pine. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »

You are right that I think defense is more important than offense. Obviously, I prefer players who are good at both.

I absolutely think Burton is a better player than Derrick.  But I don't think he's our best. I've got him as 5th or 6th. Bringing up my defense of Derrick is irrelevant to this conversation because Burton wouldn't take minutes from Derrick.

I love Burton's aggression and I love his ability to score in multiple was. But I hate that he gets tunnel vision with the hoop. He never looks to pass and this results in some pretty ugly looking possessions. Same is true with his defense. He is a ballhawk, gets steals and blocks at an ungodly rate. But as an off the ball defender? He's terrible! His men get open constantly. When his defender has the ball he is overagressive and gets blown past repeatedly.

I love me some Burton, but I also hate me some dumb frosh mistakes. Right now, Burton gives us both.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
I get the feeling your take on basketball is that you need a bunch of amazing defenders, who cannot score the ball - and that is a formula for winning.  Defense is great, but at the end of the day you need guys who can put it in the bucket, and get their own shot off.

And, just FYI - steals and blocked shots are considered big parts of defense.  Guess who leads the team in both categories??  Ding Ding Ding - Deonte Burton.  And, 7 guys on the team have played more minutes than Deonte.

Some of you resident Derrick Wilson fans need to realize Derrick has 16 steals and 1 blocked shot in 463 minutes of action.  Burton checks in with 22 steals and 14 blocks in 235 minutes - or HALF as many minutes as Derrick.

+1000

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
Ners you seem like a patron at a Basketball Stat Buffet.  Picking and choosing stats as they fit the situation as you see it.  Steals and blocks are important, but so are proper rotation and not getting lost on defense.  If the young guys don't give up easy buckets through lack of rotation on d it doesn't matter how many blocks and steals they get, they're going to ride the pine. 

LOL - Isn't this what everybody does here to support their opinions?!  The notion that Deonte, Dawson, and JJJ are such poor defenders, is vastly overstated - and a subjective argument used to try to bolster the totally objective stats of our ineffective vets - Derrick, Juan, Otule (to an extent), and Jake Thomas (to a lesser extent.)

I don't care how good of system defender Juan or Derrick may be - I care that they are dead weight at the offensive end, and their defensive "merits" in no way exceed or compensate for their offensive limitations.  Burton and Dawson should be getting at least as many minutes as Juan and Derrick - and in my opinion...a majority more.  Flip Dawson and Burton to getting 25 and Derrick and Juan 10ish, and this team could be really good by March.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »
I was always amused when Dodds would take such glee in being the first to report something about MU Basketball. He seems to genuinely believe that he is a legitimate journalist which is fine but then he turns around and bans open discussion in that very same venue.

Borrowing a line from Chico but that is a stellar example of hypocrisy with the delicious irony of it being around the First Amendment. Dodds is one of those guys who likely never really fit in and if you dare to disagree with him he takes his toys and goes home. I would love to have a beer with Mike Juno.

Douche Bag Dodds is fast to ban from his forum... you voice your opinion if it isn't his.. best believe your getting a "Read only restriction email" so lame.. but oh well MUSCOOP for me...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:57:05 AM by Nevada233 »

feedback