Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Buzz ever realize?  (Read 8733 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Will Buzz ever realize?
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »
Dawson earsome minutes tonight, that's it.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »
Great, keep playing De Wilson, struggle to be .500 in BE, bow out in the NIT and then produce great quotes that like I should played Dawson more while watching the NCAA tournament.

Coaches don't think this way, especially 3 games into an 18-game conference season.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
Derrick is a liability on offense and the defensive stopper role he supposedly plays is becoming more myth than anything.

Derrick is not a "stopper", but he is a good defensive guard.  He got beat a few times down the stretch while he was in good technical defensive position.  Sometimes the other guy makes tough plays.

When we're down 6 with under a minute, I don't get why he is in the game though.  He just wastes time dribbling east to west.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »
This whole argument is the same as Bears fans with all their backup QBs, so dumb.

Orton over Rex.
Haine over Cutler.
McCown over Cutler.
Dawson over Wilson.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
+100

Not sure how people don't understand this.

At 1-2 in the conference, many fans think, "Oh my God! We have a horrible team! We need to build for the future!"

At 1-2 in the conference, coaches think, "We didn't do enough to win but we have a chance to be good. If we win our next game, we can get on a roll. We can keep getting better in the second half of the season. If we don't lock up an automatic bid, I think we can win our conference tournament."

Please understand, I am not commenting on whether it is "right" or "wrong" for a coach to think this way. I'm just telling you that is their mindset. They don't face a little adversity and decide to pack it in 3 games into an 18-game conference season. If they did, they wouldn't be tough enough to be coaches.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:08:51 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
Put like that, we are pretty much screwed and might want to consider moving to DIII

This whole argument is the same as Bears fans with all their backup QBs, so dumb.

Orton over Rex.
Haine over Cutler.
McCown over Cutler.
Dawson over Wilson.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:05 AM »
If Derrick scores FOUR baskets, WE WIN!

Speaking of which...

MU hasn't been able to make stops but enough of the defensive lapses as the reason.
We can't score the ball.
And THAT'S the main reason we're losing.

MU's scoring defense rank: 20th Rank
MU's scoring offense rank: 220th (out of 345 D-1 schools)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:36:05 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »
Solution more minutes to Deonte, JJJ, Dawson. Less to Derick. He is a good kid but he needs to be more a role player where he can be successful . Buzz is doing this kid wrong by keeping him in the role he is in.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:12 AM »
JJJ Hasnt been good recently. Lost his aggression. Burton needs to pick his spots better, he's on the other side with far too much aggression. Dawson was the best freshman tonight. A couple friendly rims and he had 15 points tonight. If he keeps his confidence he'll have a big game soon.

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Tough game. Jamil got caught jumping for head fakes too often. If Jamil has a halfway decent game, we are right in this.

The foul shooting discrepency was bad. I really only questioned a couple calls. (Juan took a charge and they ended up with 2 points on it. I can't remember the other one.) We were out of position too often. Our defensive rotations were not great and that causes fouls. It also creates offensive rebounds. All in all, not a great game by our bigs.

Christon was pretty darn good. He is a very good guard. The announcers were spot on that he does not force it...until he forced a tough 3 and hit it at the end. Could not believe he took that and that it went in. The other 3 they hit down the stretch was also a tough shot. Long shot and by a guy who had missed his last 7. Looked like a knuckle ball. Nails it.

I was impressed  that we got back in the game, but it went away with two misses on our end and two threes on theirs.

Jake played great. I hope the guy who stood up after the first play of the Depaul game and yelled "Buzz get him out of there." was watching. That was uncalled for. If you have to pay that much attention to one player (like Xavier did) and he still has a really good game (like Jake did) that should really bode well for MU. The problem was that Christon had an even better game and we had to pay a ton of attention to him and our rotations were not good...their whole team benefited.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
He isn't bad. Buzz just likes his upperclassmen.

Only way to explain Juan Anderson even being on scholarship at this point.
  Who recruited these guys?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

Orton over Rex.
Haine over Cutler.
McCown over Cutler.
Dawson over Wilson.

It might be dumb if Cutler or Rex were clearly the worst QB in the league - but when Cutler is at least a Top 15 out of 30 QB - it is ridiculous.  Derrick is clearly the worst PG in the Big East, and probably the Top 75 teams.  He's now averaging 1.5 ppg and 2 assists per game in 27 minutes of play in conference action through 3 games.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Burton is the best player on the team..by far. Should start but in Buzz YOU ALL trust..smh

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
It might be dumb if Cutler or Rex were clearly the worst QB in the league - but when Cutler is at least a Top 15 out of 30 QB - it is ridiculous.  Derrick is clearly the worst PG in the Big East, and probably the Top 75 teams.  He's now averaging 1.5 ppg and 2 assists per game in 27 minutes of play in conference action through 3 games.

Well, thats 1.5ppg more than Juan.  He has zero....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
I have been saying that if it were me I would start Burton over Juan right now.  As difficult as it has been to watch at times, Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8 means that I still trust Buzz.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Some here were pissed Juan was gonna transfer.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Thought Juan was coming around after he had the two solid back-to-back games.  Now looks worse than ever.  I don't doubt he can put together a couple decent games at some point, but I've lost faith that he can build off of them rather than falling back to irrelevancy.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Thought Juan was coming around after he had the two solid back-to-back games.  Now looks worse than ever.  I don't doubt he can put together a couple decent games at some point, but I've lost faith that he can build off of them rather than falling back to irrelevancy.
Substitute Trent for Juan and you have the same posts as last year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Yeah--who talked him out of it?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
Buzz is TOO loyal to his upperclassmen.  The players are who they are. Buzz is more of the problem than the few non D-1 players we have.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:53 PM »
If you notice every time we made a run Dawson and Burton was on the floor, then Buzz for some odd reason sits them on the bench and all the momentum went away.  Guys, Buzz is not a good coach. Plain and simple.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
If you notice every time we made a run Dawson and Burton was on the floor, then Buzz for some odd reason sits them on the bench and all the momentum went away.  Guys, Buzz is not a good coach. Plain and simple.

Sweet 16s and Elite 8s don't just happen.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »
Yea his bench players weren't more talented than his starters either.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
Substitute Trent for Juan and you have the same posts as last year.

Trent played 97 minutes and had 16 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, and 3 blocks after three conference games (team going 3-0).  

Juan played 32 minutes and had 0 points, 7 rebounds (all in one game), 3 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block after three conference games (team going 1-2).

So yes, per minute Juan is better in all but scoring.  But one was second on the team in minutes, the other eighth.  One had Buzz's complete trust to improve an already strong team, the other lost his starting spot in a weak rotation.  

JD

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »

i was NOT one of them...  Never saw so many fans crying about a guy leaving, who has always for the most part been a non-factor on this team.  Maybe if dude would stop douging, and dancing, he could practice and get a little better to earn his scholarship..
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL