'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's postgame comments  (Read 9131 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Buzz's postgame comments
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
I like this quote on Deonte:

"Deonte struggles is not in the moment but with it takes for him to get to the moment. He is starting to figure it out . I told him 2 days ago that he is really hard to guard. You just cannot Ron Artest them all the time…you cannot big boy them all the time...you are not the big boy anymore ..and I think that clicked and I think he is trying to get it."

I *think* I know what he means here...and I *think* I agree with him.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
I like this quote on Deonte:

"Deonte struggles is not in the moment but with it takes for him to get to the moment. He is starting to figure it out . I told him 2 days ago that he is really hard to guard. You just cannot Ron Artest them all the time…you cannot big boy them all the time...you are not the big boy anymore ..and I think that clicked and I think he is trying to get it."

I *think* I know what he means here...and I *think* I agree with him.

Burton is the best talent we have besides JJJ. I really dont think Buzz knows what to do or how to play those two. Its very unfortunate.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
"" I did not think they would shoot 55% of their shots from 3. They are second in the country in FGM. I thought how we trapped was the right play…I thought how we guarded their ball screens was the right play…

" You almost have to play them like an NBA team with the floor so spaced. They have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot threes. So #12 is 4 of 9 from 3…100% of 34’s shots were from three….40% of McDermott’s shots were from three."

If this is reflective of MU's game prep, there's someting seriously wrong.

Seems like Buzz was surprised that 100% of Wragge's attempts were three pointers.  Didn't he scout him to realize that 95% of his attempts coming into the game were from beyond the arc?  

He seems surprised that 40% of McDermot's attempts from from 3--didn't he know 37% of his attempts on the season were 3 pointers?

The only potential surprise wasn't Manigat's ability to hit the three (he's 43% on the season) but that he took so many.  Then again, if you're going to leave a 43% three point shooter open, you have to expect he's going to take any open shot he gets.

45% of Creighton's atttempts on the season are 3 pointers.  And Buzz didn't think they'd be over that against us given our defensive strenght is in the paint and weakness on the perimiter?  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »
Burton is the best talent we have besides JJJ. I really dont think Buzz knows what to do or how to play those two. Its very unfortunate.

I think Buzz knows what he is doing.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
If this is reflective of MU's game prep, there's someting seriously wrong.

Seems like Buzz was surprised that 100% of Wragge's attempts were three pointers.  Didn't he scout him to realize that 95% of his attempts coming into the game were from beyond the arc?  

He seems surprised that 40% of McDermot's attempts from from 3--didn't he know 37% of his attempts on the season were 3 pointers?

The only potential surprise wasn't Manigat's ability to hit the three (he's 43% on the season) but that he took so many.  Then again, if you're going to leave a 43% three point shooter open, you have to expect he's going to take any open shot he gets.

45% of Creighton's atttempts on the season are 3 pointers.  And Buzz didn't think they'd be over that against us given our defensive strenght is in the paint and weakness on the perimiter?  

What are you talking about? They held Creighton to 40% shooting and 67 points. Those guys are good players, not easy to guard. Defense is not the problem, when 80% of your starting lineup cannot score the ball, that's a problem. It's pathetic. Thomas should not see the floor.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »
What are you talking about? They held Creighton to 40% shooting and 67 points. Those guys are good players, not easy to guard. Defense is not the problem, when 80% of your starting lineup cannot score the ball, that's a problem. It's pathetic. Thomas should not see the floor.

I disagree - if you let a good 3 point shooting team shoot more 3 pointers than they have ever shot before, you are going to lose. Period. At least 9 times out of 10. As I said in another post, after 8 minutes, they were on pace to shoot 52 3-point shots. The defense was terrible. It is not good defense when you let a team do, at will, what it does best.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »

This.

Watch out though. The sheep dogs are about to attack you for simple logic.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
MU's defense was not the problem in this game. I'm guessing Creighton will not have many home games this year where they're limited to 67 points and 40% shooting. Without a legit lead guard, though, MU gets no transition points, no open shots off drive and kicks, and very few useful entry passes to the bigs. In the end, not a lot of easy baskets, even against a Creighton team that is not built to hold anyone to 49 points and 36% shooting.Turnovers and shot selection get magnified... playing time and rotations get scrutinized... but most of these ills would be cured just by making more shots. Much ink has been spilled, already, over the limitations of our point guard, and while we're not yet to the Marcus Jackson/Joe Chapman stage, I don't expect points to come any easier throughout the year.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
I disagree - if you let a good 3 point shooting team shoot more 3 pointers than they have ever shot before, you are going to lose. Period. At least 9 times out of 10. As I said in another post, after 8 minutes, they were on pace to shoot 52 3-point shots. The defense was terrible. It is not good defense when you let a team do, at will, what it does best.

13-37 from 3 is not great. They only shot 4 FTs all game, which is the problem with jump shooting teams. Creighton scores 82 points a game, shoots 43% from 3, 53% from 2 and is the 6th most efficient team in the country...you think the defense was the problem?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
13-37 from 3 is not great. They only shot 4 FTs all game, which is the problem with jump shooting teams. Creighton scores 82 points a game, shoots 43% from 3, 53% from 2 and is the 6th most efficient team in the country...you think the defense was the problem?

First, keep in mind that their year-to-date average to date is based on a cupcake heavy schedule. I don't think it surprises anyone that Creighton can score 90 on Chicago State, or 88 against Arkansas Pine Bluff, 107 against Alcorn State, 96 against UM-Kansas City, but only 53 against GW, 68 agaisnt Cal, and 67 against us.    Our scoring follows a similar pattern--high against cupcakes, low against the better teams. 

Second, Creighton's scoring pace in the first half was very close to their season average and that's when they scored 37 and built a double-digit lead.  Again, they've scored more against cupcakes, but by comparision only 24 first half points against GW, 30 agianst Cal and 30 against San Diego State.  Us holding them to 37 is nothing special.

Third, much of the reduction of scoring was due to both teams playing a slower pace in the 2nd half--Creighton milking the clock nursing a double-digit lead coupled with our own offensive struggles that resulted in us going deep into the clock.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
MU's defense was not the problem in this game. I'm guessing Creighton will not have many home games this year where they're limited to 67 points and 40% shooting. Without a legit lead guard, though, MU gets no transition points, no open shots off drive and kicks, and very few useful entry passes to the bigs. In the end, not a lot of easy baskets, even against a Creighton team that is not built to hold anyone to 49 points and 36% shooting.Turnovers and shot selection get magnified... playing time and rotations get scrutinized... but most of these ills would be cured just by making more shots. Much ink has been spilled, already, over the limitations of our point guard, and while we're not yet to the Marcus Jackson/Joe Chapman stage, I don't expect points to come any easier throughout the year.

I would be surprised to see anyone in the league guard Derrick. You hurt MU much more by always having the extra man on defense in the lane. Therefore, while Derrick is no threat, you also take away Davante's game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »

I think Buzz knows what he is doing.
As evidenced by our stellar record and last night's debacle.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »

As evidenced by Buzz's stellar record.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
First, keep in mind that their year-to-date average to date is based on a cupcake heavy schedule. I don't think it surprises anyone that Creighton can score 90 on Chicago State, or 88 against Arkansas Pine Bluff, 107 against Alcorn State, 96 against UM-Kansas City, but only 53 against GW, 68 agaisnt Cal, and 67 against us.    Our scoring follows a similar pattern--high against cupcakes, low against the better teams. 

Second, Creighton's scoring pace in the first half was very close to their season average and that's when they scored 37 and built a double-digit lead.  Again, they've scored more against cupcakes, but by comparision only 24 first half points against GW, 30 agianst Cal and 30 against San Diego State.  Us holding them to 37 is nothing special.

Third, much of the reduction of scoring was due to both teams playing a slower pace in the 2nd half--Creighton milking the clock nursing a double-digit lead coupled with our own offensive struggles that resulted in us going deep into the clock.

You can talk down Creighton all you want with this analysis, but they kicked our ass by 18 points!

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

While I generally agree with you, constantly deflecting any and all criticism with the "I trust Buzz" and "I'm sure Buzz knows what he's doing" isn't an argument and stifles legitimate arguments. It's cheap.

I mean, if we can't even criticize/critique our team on a fan message board, what can we do
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
So it is easy to be critical, what do you suggest be done? Fire buzz, after everything he accomplished and 2 straight high level recruiting classes?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
So it is easy to be critical, what do you suggest be done? Fire buzz, after everything he accomplished and 2 straight high level recruiting classes?

Undoubtedly, there are those who think Buzz should be fired.

This is why coaches owe absolutely no loyalty to the school that employs them. Loyalty is never a two-way street.

Two Sweet 16s and one Elite Eight in a three-year span? Who gives a crap? You lost at Creighton and Arizona State, you play Derrick Wilson too much and you have yet to recruit a Greg Oden or Shaq O'Neal. Hit the bricks, coach!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
Buzz is not going to be fired.

But his assistants may be on the hot seat.
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »

We are talking right now, not last year. If you think he knows what he is doing now, buy the Brooklyn bridge. And keep on slurping.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
We are talking right now, not last year. If you think he knows what he is doing now, buy the Brooklyn bridge. And keep on slurping.

His record of success>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your record of success

I'm playing the odds.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

So everyone who thinks Buzz has won more games and brought in better players than anyone since Al is now a "slurper" because we're willing to have a little faith in his ability to eventually right the ship?

Losing the JuCo combo guard at the beginning of last year, Blue to the draft and Duane to injury leaves us short on shooters and creators. crap happens.

I'm betting we see growth in minutes and maturity from Burton and JJJ and a steadier rotation in conference play. We'll beat DePaul and get a lot better each month. By March we may even be ready to surprise some folks.

To all the folks who are fed up, you can't celebrate in the good times and then knife the team in the back when they're not as good as we'd like.

Act like a warrior. Go Marquette.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
So everyone who thinks Buzz has won more games and brought in better players than anyone since Al is now a "slurper" because we're willing to have a little faith in his ability to eventually right the ship?

Losing the JuCo combo guard at the beginning of last year, Blue to the draft and Duane to injury leaves us short on shooters and creators. crap happens.

I'm betting we see growth in minutes and maturity from Burton and JJJ and a steadier rotation in conference play. We'll beat DePaul and get a lot better each month. By March we may even be ready to surprise some folks.

To all the folks who are fed up, you can't celebrate in the good times and then knife the team in the back when they're not as good as we'd like.

Act like a warrior. Go Marquette.

Thank you

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »
I would be surprised to see anyone in the league guard Derrick. You hurt MU much more by always having the extra man on defense in the lane. Therefore, while Derrick is no threat, you also take away Davante's game.

5 on 4 wins every time!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »
5 on 4 wins every time!

Yet you keep advocating for John Dawson, who has actually shown less offensive ability than Derrick.

Strange.