Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 6178 times)

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
Juan Anderson
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
I'm not one to think the sky is falling, and I don't think it is after this loss. Not many teams would beat Creighton at home. This team has many problems: turn overs, inability to defend and score, and a lack of mojo and identify. This to me is the definition of Juan Anderson. Why is this kid playing (I know many players fall under this criteria, but after today I've had it with Juan). No one played well today, but what does Juan bring to the table? No offense, mistakes, sub-par defense. I've never seen anything in this kid and I don't know what any one of you see in him. Why should he stick around? In three years, he hasn't done anything that remarkable.

I realize that he isn't the problem, but he has never shown me anything that great. I would like to know what everyone thinks of him.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:06:25 PM »
Hustle, rebounding. He may not be great but you can't have all great players. He's the least of our problems
No Finish Line

vacinator

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
Add D Wilson to the list, he is the bigger problem

brandx

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
Add D Wilson to the list, he is the bigger problem

As I have said in 25 other posts, this team is not good enough to win playing 4-on-5. Derrick can not play. And furthermore, he is killing Jamil and OX by being such an offensive liability.

But the problem went further tonite. For the 1st time I turned an MU game off - and it was only 8 minutes into the game. In 8 minutes, Creighton was on pace to shot over 50 3-pointers for the game.

The ONE - the ONLY thing you want in the defensive game plan is to prevent them from shooting 3's. But the plan was to give them open looks from 3 and then what????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They were pitiful for 8 minutes and from the score, I'm guessing they were just as bad the rest of the game.

We CANNOT win 4 on-5. Period......

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
Juan us not the problem any more than anyone else. The team has no unity or identity yet. No consistency, leader etc. It's not Juan

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
Juan Anderson isn't the problem. Derrick isn't the problem. The problem is we aren't very good.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
Juan had a bad night tonight that's for sure.  However, he is the least of the problems.  I would like to see Juan shoot more 3's especially when he is wide open, like he was tonight.  Juan and Jamil need to shoot more three's to open things up for Davante and Chris.  It is so simple for opposing teams to play defense against us right now.  Derrick and Juan don't need to be guarded outside of 4 feet.  Don't leave Jake Thomas, who can't make a shot inside of 15 ft, stay in front of Jamil and double down on Davante and Chris....pretty simple game plan.....Let MU beat themselves....

brandx

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:20:37 PM »
Juan had a bad night tonight that's for sure.  However, he is the least of the problems.  I would like to see Juan shoot more 3's especially when he is wide open, like he was tonight.  Juan and Jamil need to shoot more three's to open things up for Davante and Chris.  It is so simple for opposing teams to play defense against us right now.  Derrick and Juan don't need to be guarded outside of 4 feet.  Don't leave Jake Thomas, who can't make a shot inside of 15 ft, stay in front of Jamil and double down on Davante and Chris....pretty simple game plan.....Let MU beat themselves....

We could mask it against the cupcakes cuz they came out and guarded Derrick - it won't happen in league play.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Maybe it was the booze talking in Vegas, butnthisngame confirmed thismteammhas no leadership.  Jamil is not a vocal, in your face leader.  He's a talented player, but not THE leader.  D Wilson may be a great person but he is a below average D1 PG and hence this team is adrift.  In a word it blows.

Have a great New Year, this season will be a bummer.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »

Except that even if he had open looks, he won't take them (referring to Juan)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:19 AM »
Juan has confidence issues with his shooting. He usually takes a three early in the game. If he makes it, he shoots more. If he misses, he passes up every opportunity he gets to shoot again.

Gotta shoot with confidence boys!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:14 AM »
Juan has confidence issues with his shooting. He usually takes a three early in the game. If he makes it, he shoots more. If he misses, he passes up every opportunity he gets to shoot again.

This is an excellent observation. As I watched the game with my wife, I must have said 8 times, "They are leaving Juan wide open. A forward at this level has to step into that shot and make more than he misses. He has to have confidence."

Easier said than done, I know. You can't coach confidence.

I totally disagree with the main thesis of this post -- that Juan doesn't bring anything. There are long stretches in many games in which he is the most active player on the court for either team, the one guy most likely to get to a loose ball. But it is hard to have him on the floor if he won't or can't shoot. We have too many players who fit that description, and you can't afford to have more than one or two of them in the game at any one time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

connie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
I think Juan has value.  He is a long, high energy player that can really be a great compliment on a good team.  My problem is that he appears to be the same player now that he was when we first saw him.  Unfortunately that is a statement that applies to almost every upperclassman on this team.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
Right now, Gardner is a bigger problem than Juan or DeWilson.   They are still working hard and busting their butts.  He is just pouting and throwing his arms in the air. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
As long as we have a PG that cant or wont shoot and a Starting 2 that cant create his own shot.

Marquettes gonna be on the losing end of alot of games.

Derrick Wilson is just not a Division 1 starter. Great Back Up. But not a 30 Min Guy nor is Jake Thomas... Great spark off the Bench. Not a starter...

A Depaul Loss would not overly shock me.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Juan Anderson isn't the problem. Derrick isn't the problem. The problem is we aren't very good.

I agree with this, though Derrick is a big part of the problem as well, through no fault of his own as much as the reality that he is the only experienced point on the roster.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Except that even if he had open looks, he won't take them (referring to Juan)
He cannot shoot it, if we have not had a paint touch. I think that rule is just plain stupid.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
all this is why I like DB's shooter's mentality. get the ball and go to the rack.
Somebody WANTS to score not  not screw up.

By the way, a former teammate told me that they used to have to exhort JFB to shoot when at MU; he was reluctant to shoot and they were on him to let a shot go.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
Tower 912--- Been saying that right along. Gardner is a pouter. He is not putting out 110%. Plays no
defense. Team has no unity. Very Poor Chemistry. Mayo and Gardner are the ones outside of poor guard play.
Play your futures. Might also help recruiting.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
Right now, Gardner is a bigger problem than Juan or DeWilson.   They are still working hard and busting their butts.  He is just pouting and throwing his arms in the air. 

He has always pouted and thrown his arms up in the air.  This year you notice it more because he is less successful.  He's been acting the same way all four years.

Buzz's inability to find the right combinations to get Davante going offensively is the problem, not the players. 
Everyone needs to quit bashing the individual players and blame the coach for being unable to find the right chemistry to get players going.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
He has always pouted and thrown his arms up in the air.  This year you notice it more because he is less successful.  He's been acting the same way all four years.

Buzz's inability to find the right combinations to get Davante going offensively is the problem, not the players. 
Everyone needs to quit bashing the individual players and blame the coach for being unable to find the right chemistry to get players going.

I notice previously.  Big difference is that this year he is supposed to be a leader...last year we had Junior/Lockett/Vander to be on the court leaders and set the tone as far as attitude and work ethic.  This year we have Gardner's bad attitude in a leading role, that can't work.

The best way to sink any successful organization is to kill morale/positive attitudes.  When the leader has the wrong attitude/motivation everyone else will follow suit. 

The coach is trying to get the right chemistry, which is one of the reasons that Juan/Otule/Jake are starting.  They demonstrate the right attitude and work ethic that the rest of the team needs to adopt.  As a coach/leader you can only do so much in trying to get the people to do their job...some people just never have the right attitude (Gardner?, Mayo?). 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
I think in the early games the new rules effected our defense greatly.  Seems the guys made poor adjustments to how tightly the hand checks would be called this year.  It's led to a lot of frustration, especially from Davante.

I also think, like many here, it's too easy to double us on the offensive end.  It's hard to show what you bring to the table when playing 4 on 5 every offensive trip down the floor.  If we can just play fastbreak/transition offense we can keep the score close, but we haven't consistently been able to turn anyone over regularly to the cupcakes.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »

Applies to Jamil as well. Disappears if he misses a jumper, will take more if he makes the first one.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Applies to Jamil as well. Disappears if he misses a jumper, will take more if he makes the first one.

One of the many benefits to using Jamil some at PG is that even if he isn't hitting his shot, he has to stay engaged. That's the very nature of the position.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »
Buzz needs to tell Juan to shoot more. He can make threes, so I'm not sure why he won't shoot when he's wide open. The perimeter offense is bad enough when Derrick is on the floor, but now Juan won't shoot either?