Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Southern University  (Read 5802 times)

RideMyBuycks

• All American
Southern University
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »
Currently up 42-0 against something called champion baptist college. Does this help our seed?

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Southern University
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
Sure this isn't a football score?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
Sure this isn't a football score?

Sure I'm sure. 46-2 with 5 min left in the first half.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »
Sure I'm sure. 46-2 with 5 min left in the first half.

Maybe the opposing team got a safety

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
Now 90-10 with 10 minutes to go.  Why does the ESPN score page have it highlighted with "Featured Game" under the score?

A little background dug up:http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/12/30/5258976/champion-baptist-basketball-southern

So Southern has one D1 win so far of their three going on four.  RPI Forecast says it's currently the third worst RPI impact for us (-2.99), but still projects a slight positive (0.07) by year end.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
I am pretty sure somebody on this board tried to state the case for the Southern win as a quality win for MU  :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
I am pretty sure somebody on this board tried to state the case for the Southern win as a quality win for MU  :P

I think it was more than one.

I watched San Diego State the other night take on someone called St. Katherine's.  They won by over 80.  It was something to behold.  Grambling would have beaten that team by 30. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400505535

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »

That's ludicrous, I'm sure that you are mistaken.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
Yeah.  There were a lot of people saying Southern was a good win.  Comical.  They even sited their 6 point loss to a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament last year.  Hah.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
116-12. Just think of that final score when you hang your head over an 11 seed in the tourney.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
116-12. Just think of that final score when you hang your head over an 11 seed in the tourney.

What?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
What?

He needs you to spell out the 11 seed thing.  I might, too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:48:41 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
Murray, have another glass of wine, kimosabe.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »

Have you been watching bad movies?  After that comment, you can add another ten years to the Wait before Warriors can be resurrected.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
Have you been watching bad movies?  After that comment, you can add another ten years to the Wait before Warriors can be resurrected.

I read somewhere that Kimosabe is an actual word that means "scout." Not sure what language but it is a Native tongue. 

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »

Kimosabe...how Daniel Snyder of you...well done

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
I read somewhere that Kimosabe is an actual word that means "scout." Not sure what language but it is a Native tongue.  

Here's a shocker, there's a good chance that its from the language of one of Wisconsin's very own, the Menominee, Chippewa or Potawatomi Tribes.

Excuse me while I plagiarize the following from some guy named Hofmann who has posting privalages on the College of New Jersey's domain.

"This information came from Dave Barry's column in the New York Daily News, Saturday, June 10, 2000. Dave Barry swears that he has researched the matter and his facts are correct. According to Barry, "The original "Lone Ranger" show was created at Detroit radio station WXYZ in 1933. This explains why Tonto called the Lone Ranger 'Kemo Sabe,' a phrase that is derived from the name of a boys' summer camp in Michigan owned by the director's uncle." Now the question remains as to where the boys' camp got their name.... I don't trust anything that Dave Berry writes, so I did some further research. In the 1930's, when the Lone Ranger show got its start, there was indeed a camp in the northern part of Michigan called "Ke Mo Sah Bee" and the name is reported to have stood for "trusty friend" or "trusty scout." Since the show got its start in Michigan, it seems logical that the name could have come from there."

Okay, so Hofmann makes it clear that the word originated from a Native American language spoken in Northern Michigan.  A Native American Tribal area map that I found indicates that the northern part of lower Michigan was Potawatomi territory while Upper Michigan was split between the Menominee and Ojibwe Tribes with the Menominee Tribe concentrated in the lower central part of Upper Michigan, and the Objibwe filling the remainder of Upper Michigan.  Another name for the Objibwe is Chippewa.  All three tribes speak a dialect of the Algonquian tongue associated with their tribe.

Since the Lone Ranger had originally been a Texas Ranger, it seems that a white radio drama writer of the early 1930's decided to have a Native American in Texas call his buddy "trusty friend" in a Native American language that was in use 1,000 miles to the north.  Dramatic license, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:54:14 PM by LittleMurs »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
I think it was more than one.

I watched San Diego State the other night take on someone called St. Katherine's.  They won by over 80.  It was something to behold.  Grambling would have beaten that team by 30. 

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400505535

Their enrollment is 102

http://www.stkath.org/about-skc/at-a-glance/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »
Their enrollment is 102

http://www.stkath.org/about-skc/at-a-glance/

Wow, thanks.  Never heard of it until the other day.  Their center was a rec league player, had to be 65lbs over weight.  It was rather entertaining to watch just how bad these guys were.

EDIT:  I just looked at the roster...it was their 7 footer who was the big dude.  Really struggling to get up and down the court.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:14:37 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
Wow, thanks.  Never heard of it until the other day.  Their center was a rec league player, had to be 65lbs over weight.  It was rather entertaining to watch just how bad these guys were.

EDIT:  I just looked at the roster...it was their 7 footer who was the big dude.  Really struggling to get up and down the court.

Willie would love their coach. He gets bigs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Maybe we can get Champion Baptist College on next year's schedule.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
Here's a shocker, there's a good chance that its from the language of one of Wisconsin's very own, the Menominee, Chippewa or Potawatomi Tribes.

Excuse me while I plagiarize the following from some guy named Hofmann who has posting privalages on the College of New Jersey's domain.

"This information came from Dave Barry's column in the New York Daily News, Saturday, June 10, 2000. Dave Barry swears that he has researched the matter and his facts are correct. According to Barry, "The original "Lone Ranger" show was created at Detroit radio station WXYZ in 1933. This explains why Tonto called the Lone Ranger 'Kemo Sabe,' a phrase that is derived from the name of a boys' summer camp in Michigan owned by the director's uncle." Now the question remains as to where the boys' camp got their name.... I don't trust anything that Dave Berry writes, so I did some further research. In the 1930's, when the Lone Ranger show got its start, there was indeed a camp in the northern part of Michigan called "Ke Mo Sah Bee" and the name is reported to have stood for "trusty friend" or "trusty scout." Since the show got its start in Michigan, it seems logical that the name could have come from there."

Okay, so Hofmann makes it clear that the word originated from a Native American language spoken in Northern Michigan.  A Native American Tribal area map that I found indicates that the northern part of lower Michigan was Potawatomi territory while Upper Michigan was split between the Menominee and Ojibwe Tribes with the Menominee Tribe concentrated in the lower central part of Upper Michigan, and the Objibwe filling the remainder of Upper Michigan.  Another name for the Objibwe is Chippewa.  All three tribes speak a dialect of the Algonquian tongue associated with their tribe.

Since the Lone Ranger had originally been a Texas Ranger, it seems that a white radio drama writer of the early 1930's decided to have a Native American in Texas call his buddy "trusty friend" in a Native American language that was in use 1,000 miles to the north.  Dramatic license, I guess.

Hell, we should be the Marquette Kemosabes. Local flavor that pays honor to an indigenous people who likely interacted with Pere Marquette. What is Fr Wild's email address?

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

Hell, we should be the Marquette Kemosabes. Local flavor that pays honor to an indigenous people who likely interacted with Pere Marquette. What is Fr Wild's email address?

Are masks that cover the eyes currently banned under NCAA uniform regulations?  If not, I feel ban number 3 on the way.  I'd be a real fun season until the ban was enacted.