[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Despite the gloom -  (Read 4818 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Despite the gloom -
« on: December 21, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
This team has a chance to turn into a good team.  Jamil Wilson and mayo have high upside and Gardner is a force - though he has more flaws than most want to acknowledge. To turn this around, the following has to happen,

The best players have to be the best at practice. Mayo needs to start and needs to compete at practice to earn the starting gig.
Burton needs to learn how to play team ball.  Still plays like he is in high school where a shot by him is always the best choice.  He needs to grow his game quickly.
Buzz has zero tolerance for freshman mistakes.  I understand taking them out, but it's hurting the team to keep them out the rest of the game if they make a mental error.

It will be an uphill climb but this team can still have a very good season.  The hope now is to make the tourney and win one game.  Haven't seen enough to hope for anything more this season
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

LAZER

• All American
Re: Despite the gloom -
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
This team has a chance to turn into a good team.  Jamil Wilson and mayo have high upside and Gardner is a force - though he has more flaws than most want to acknowledge. To turn this around, the following has to happen,

I totally agree, I just don't how much you can rely on Mayo and Jamil.  For me, those two will dictate the success/failure of this season.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »
Yup, Jamil has all the talent as a 5th year senior to lead/carry this team. Yet he continues to be terribly inconsistent. 7-19 and 1-6 on 3's in a loss is nothing to write home about on upside.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »

How much additional upside do you think that Jamil (fifth year senior) and Mayo (junior) really have?  Those players don't have much more upside IMO.  They are who they are.

JJJ and Deonte are those with the biggest upside.  They need to learn how to play more consistently on both ends of the floor, but that is where growth needs to occur.  (Obviously Taylor and Duane are hurt.)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:16 AM »
Jamil Wilson will probably die with plenty of additional upside potential.. He is a freak of nature athlete and still is untapped. Buzz said two years ago Jamil had potential to be an all time great Warrior and he was right. He frustrates me often, but he seems to be great kid and good heart.

When he is on his game he literally is the best player on the court by a wide margin. Plenty on here gave up on VB and he carried a team on his shoulders for most of last season. I am still betting on Jamil showing more of his potential before he is done. If not, we will see it down the road in the NBA.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »
+1000 Goose.  For this team to "slip" into the tournament Jamil has to emerge as a heady, clutch player the way that Lazar, Jimmy, Jae and to some extent Vander did.  Those guys made the plays both defensively and offensively that won close games.  Jamil still too often takes a bad shot, throws a bad pass.  I know its asking a lot but that is what it is going to take.  Derrick is now adequate to support a low seed ncaa team.  The 2 guard rotation is ok by committee.  Right now Jamil is player kind of like DJO as a senior and what we need is Jae as a senior.  Its still possible but having watched Jamil for 2.5 years I don't think its likely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
Ugh...

No.  Jamil is not the best player on the court.  He can jump.  But again, he is not quick.  He can't take people off the dribble.  On top of that his jump shot is inconsistent.  Vander was quicker...much quicker.  As was JFB. 

I think this idea that Jamil has some sort of untapped potential, and that all he needs to be is more motivated is simply wrong.  He's motivated enough.  He's just not what you think he is.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
Still amazingly soft.  Jimmy and Jae sought contact and made a good living at the line, Jamil settles for weak jumpers and avoids contact.  Not going to change either.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
Ugh...

No.  Jamil is not the best player on the court.  He can jump.  But again, he is not quick.  He can't take people off the dribble.  On top of that his jump shot is inconsistent.  Vander was quicker...much quicker.  As was JFB. 

I think this idea that Jamil has some sort of untapped potential, and that all he needs to be is more motivated is simply wrong.  He's motivated enough.  He's just not what you think he is.
I would agree with you except you see flashes of brilliance that makes you think he does have the ability. He has NBA scouts intrigued as well

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Ugh...

I believe he has the skills or potential to be the best player on the court.  With his athleticism, size, etc...he can be a perimeter player, inside player, rebounder, he is good with the ball...he has all the tools.  Seems like a good kid.  I can't think of a player on this team that is more skilled at all the various components in basketball than him in terms of potential.  Unfortunately it is inconsistent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
I believe he has the skills or potential to be the best player on the court.  With his athleticism, size, etc...he can be a perimeter player, inside player, rebounder, he is good with the ball...he has all the tools.  Seems like a good kid.  I can't think of a player on this team that is more skilled at all the various components in basketball than him in terms of potential.  Unfortunately it is inconsistent.

He can be a perimeter shooter.  He can't attack the basket.  He tries.  He's just too slow footed.

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
I think another key to success is Juan. If we have him making a good amount of high energy plays, crashing the boards, and getting a couple buckets each game I see a lot of games going our way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

He can be a perimeter shooter.  He can't attack the basket.  He tries.  He's just too slow footed.

But he can play with his back to the basket from 5 to 10 feet out with his turnaround game. 

I know what you are saying, but honestly I don't know what player is better (today) than J Will on this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
But he can play with his back to the basket from 5 to 10 feet out with his turnaround game. 

I know what you are saying, but honestly I don't know what player is better (today) than J Will on this team.

I am not saying he is worthless.  I'm saying he is what we have seen.  There isn't some sort of untapped upside there.

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
Look who leads us in the "studs of the game" category..that should tell you something about this team. Or maybe the coach :oOp

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

I am not saying he is worthless.  I'm saying he is what we have seen.  There isn't some sort of untapped upside there.

Fair enough.  I guess I was responding to your comment that he isn't the best player out there on our team.  I'm struggling (maybe we all are) to identify who that is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
Fair enough.  I guess I was responding to your comment that he isn't the best player out there on our team.  I'm struggling (maybe we all are) to identify who that is.

I should have said not "always" the best player on the court.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Sultan

You are completely lost in judging basketball talent. You stick with your guys and I'll stick with mine all day long. The head basketball coach at MU stated that jamil has talent to be one of the all time greats. You defend his playing weak players and dismiss his comments on Jamil. You simply like to argue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
Sultan

You are completely lost in judging basketball talent.

I'll put my record on here against your's anyday.  Won't be pretty for you.

And I'm not trying to argue, but cmon...for three years I've been reading about Jamil's untapped potential.  At some point maybe we have to come to the conclusion that he's simply not as good as you think he is.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:34:57 AM by The Sultan of Syncopation »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
Sultan

I personally think your record of stating nothing over and over again really does speak for itself. Like me or hate me I really do not care. As for my record,  I am sure you referring to my Buzz is gone, I will stick with that for a long time. You can believe I was wrong all day long. IMO the leadership change might very well confirm I was right. Secondly, I stated over a year ago that Vander was gone after last season. Pretty sure he left.

Back to the point, your opinions on basketball talent definitely are not in line with mine and such is life. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »
Man, Sultan is arguing with Goose. Thought I was the only one he argued with. Guess he is trying to spread the Christma...er..Holiday Cheer around. Merry Christmas Sultan and Happy Hannakuh and Roaring Ramadan also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
All in all, Jamil and Davante have had disappointing senior seasons so far. There are extenuating circumstances, such as a backcourt that doesn't give much support, but it's the truth.

For all the harping about the backcourt -- and I've been guilty of doing my share of harping -- the guys who were mentioned on All-American and all-conference lists have not been nearly productive enough.

I do tend to agree with Sultan that Jamil is who he is. When the shot is falling, we'll say, "Wow, nice game!" When it isn't, we'll wonder where he was. He has not proven to be an impact player otherwise -- not a plus defender, not quick enough to dribble-drive past opponents, not a great rebounder despite all of his leaping ability.

Davante, I don't know what his deal is. The one thing I do know is that he ain't Au-to-ma-tic!

There's still two-thirds of a season left to see if these two borderline "stars" can shine for us on a consistent basis. Jury is out. Way, way out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »

Legitimately tough question. Most well-rounded player is probably Jamil, but he struggles with an inconsistent motor. Most important player is probably Derrick, because when he's good we are good as a team, when he struggles, the entire team struggles. Best potential player is probably Burton, but he still has a ton of defensive deficiencies as well as often-questionable shot selection; Jajuan would give him a run for that title.

I think you could make a case for a number of players as the best. Seems to change game-by-game, and sometimes half-by-half. When you're winning games, that can be a good thing (DJO, Crowder, Butler on the same team) but when you're losing, it can be pretty frustrating.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
MU82

I agree Jamil is what he is. An extremely gifted, long, athletic basketball player that goes MIA often. That is why I stated he will probably die with talent left unused. I would much rather focus on Jamil becoming a force going forward than hoping our backcourt becomes D1 level. The kid has untapped talent and I believe others on this team are tapped out and in over their heads.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
Goose. I agree  with the above.
I have decided that this year is what is what it's going to be and just sit back, love these kids and appreciate their effort. 

feedback