[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I never thought depth would keep us from getting a McDonald's All-American...  (Read 1622 times)

Wade for President

• All American
...but that's what it's starting to sound like.  After painfully watching the press conference a second time, I am starting to feel that this is one of the larger reasons why Iman chose GTech.

I was (and still am) devastated by the news, however, I'm starting to take the announcement in a slightly different light.

I would like to believe it was the log jam we have at the point position, a position that he wants to play, that was the ultimate factor in his decision.  With DJ's future uncertainties after a tough sophomore campaign (most likely returning for his senior year, barring a huge season), and Iman's first hand look at the talent Mo Acker has, he's attending a school where he is guaranteed to be 'the man'.

Don't know if that's a knock on his competitive nature, as I would think a player of his caliber would relish the opportunity to battle for playing time.....or maybe he's only in this college thing for a short time and he feels that GTech and the ACC is his brief stepping stone to the NBA.

Regardless, this one stings.  If our depth was a factor in Shumpert's decision (and we'll probably never know), then we must applaud Crean for building the team he has now, and not berate him for the team he could've had in the future.

I tip my hat to Crean and his staff, as they did all they possibly could.  Move on...move forward....let's go get Swopshire.

ecompt

• All American
Guarantee:
One year at GT and he's out a la Marbury. Good luck, Iman.

PuertoRicanNightmare

Shumpert is quoted in the Tribune as saying "playing right away" was equal among all the schools. "Depth" wasn't a factor.

There is absolutely NO WAY he will be a one and out player. He's not polished enough as a player and much too mature as an individual.

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
Shumpert is quoted in the Tribune as saying "playing right away" was equal among all the schools. "Depth" wasn't a factor.

And yet, Shumpert stated during his presser, "I would say that Georgia Tech is a place where basketball wise I can produce there, and i feel like its a good opportunity for me. Right now they are low on guards and I feel its a good opportunity for me to come in and be able to play." 

Sure sounds like depth was a  major issue to me.

ecompt

• All American
Please, PRN. If he has a good freshman year and thinks he can go pro, he's gone. Listen to his press conference. He wants to play point right away. I didn't hear anything about him becoming an engineer.

feedback