Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU in the play in game?  (Read 7701 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MU in the play in game?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
Making excuses for not making the dance is fun--just like making excuses for not alnding a quality big every decade or so.

Yeah, our bigs suck ass.  Thank god we have kick ass guards though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Lundari Dec 16 Update ... Last Team in ... MU!!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
"You guys are all saying 8-11, this one guys says 12. IN YO FACE!!!!" - a complete moron
you know something jackoffman, which I doubt, you are one. back to the ignore button.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
Wait, I missed Selection Sunday yesterday?

Right cause posting this was me saying it's the end of the world and that this is where we're gonna be for the whole season.  Get over yourself I was posting the current bracketology that gets posted here every time it comes out.  Jeeze.  Also noticed you didn't say that on the other thread with the same article do you just have a vendetta against me? Do you feel like annoying one person and not the other? 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:29:36 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
With big wins over...who, exactly?  You don't get handed a 4 seed or higher with your best win being St. John's or home to a mediocre Georgetown type team.

Everyone freaks out and predicts a lower seed than we actually get every year. Last year I picked the exact seed they got and I was one of only a few picking them with that high of a seed.

If they finish first or second in the big east they will get higher than a 5 seed. I firmly believe they will do that. They finished first in the old big east last year. Did you think that would happen at this time last year? Only if your name was brew city.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:33:14 PM by hairyworthen »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
Right cause posting this was me saying it's the end of the world and that this is where we're gonna be for the whole season.  Get over yourself I was posting the current bracketology that gets posted here every time it comes out.  Jeeze. 

I appreciate the post. Talking about this stuff way too prematurely is what fans do.

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
I enjoy bracketology as the tournament gets closer but its kind of foolish at this point in the season. Even more foolish is that Lunardi claims to have his teams projected in/out as of THIS moment. Marquette would really be in over George Washington (last team in and first team out, respectively)??? Marquette is 6-4 and is 1-4 vs. the RPI top 100 and RPI top 200. GW is 9-1 which includes 3-1 vs. the top 100 and 5-1 vs. top 200. If you were to play a game of "blind resume", is Marquette really more deserving of a bid than GW?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
but more important - do we get a shot at Indiana?  or Norfolk State?  Or Murray State?    What region are we in, can we travel easily?

MUSF

• All American
Re: Lundari Dec 16 Update ... Last Team in ... MU!!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »
Hmmmm.....This does not square with the soothsayers on this board who are now saying we are anywhere from an 8 seed to a 11 seed. Lots of basketball yet to be played, but we will need to pretty much own the conference to get in solidly.

It also "does not square" with the soothsayers on this board who are saying we will be sub .500 in conference. You can look at it either way. I'm not surprised by the viewpoint you selected.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »
There were no posters 'here' when we missed it last time.   There was no 'here'.   Not to mention there were two future NBA players on the team.   And I was right next to you on the jsonline forums arguing on your side against Abe Froman.     Stop playing the martyr.  
+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
There were no posters 'here' when we missed it last time.   There was no 'here'.   Not to mention there were two future NBA players on the team.   And I was right next to you on the jsonline forums arguing on your side against Abe Froman.     Stop playing the martyr.  

Actually, plenty of posters "here" that were from the previous board that stayed here and still to this DAY continue to rag on us missing that year.  No martyr playing, it will be interesting to see the reaction....hopefully it doesn't come to that.

By the way, that team was picked for what in CUSA vs this year's team picked 1st in the Big East?   Want a hint?  It wasn't first, second, third....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »
Actually, plenty of posters "here" that were from the previous board that stayed here and still to this DAY continue to rag on us missing that year.  No martyr playing, it will be interesting to see the reaction....hopefully it doesn't come to that.

That's true, this board goes back a whole lot further than this board, but it won't come to that. Barring additional injuries, this team will be in the tournament.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »

By the way, that team was picked for what in CUSA vs this year's team picked 1st in the Big East?   Want a hint?  It wasn't first, second, third....

You are correct that not much was expected of us when we last missed the tournament in 2004-05. Sadly, the reason for this was we were coming off a very disappointing 2003-04, where we were a top 25 team in preseason coming off a Final Four and missed the tournament.

Regarding the once proud NIT, I'm on record that it's now "the loser's tournament". Even after a run of 7 NCAA wins in the last 3 years, I'll be very disappointed if we don't make it in this year, just as I was in 2003-04 and 2004-5 and would be any year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 10:00:48 PM »

Good old Abe.  What a piece of work. What ever happened to him?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
That's true, this board goes back a whole lot further than this board, but it won't come to that. Barring additional injuries, this team will be in the tournament.

We should, but we need to get it going very soon. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
I agree, but plenty of posters here went apeshot crazy when we missed it the last time. We weren't even supposed to be that good that year, while this year we were picked to win the Big East.  If we don't make it, it will be curious to see the reactions of that group.

Revisionist history. We were preseason #23 that year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2004/week/1/seasontype/2

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
Revisionist history. We were preseason #23 that year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2004/week/1/seasontype/2

You're right about the 2003-04 season. That year we were preseason top 25 and favored to compete with Cincinnati for the CUSA title. Missing the NCAA this year would parallel the disappointment of that season. We also missed the following year (04-05). Naturally, given the dismal performance in 03-04 expectations were lower in 04-05. Same will be true next year if we end up shy of 20 wins and in the NIT this year.

So, if we don't win 20 this year or next and play in the NIT both years will people here be dissatisfied like they were 10 years ago? Yes. Is anybody but Chicos fixated on making sure everybody goes ape shyte IF that's how the next two years play out? No. Makes you think there a very dark place in his heart that would celebrate if it actually happened. Why else would he spend his time publishing his daydreams about it?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:34 AM »
You're right about the 2003-04 season. That year we were preseason top 25 and favored to compete with Cincinnati for the CUSA title. Missing the NCAA this year would parallel the disappointment of that season. We also missed the following year (04-05). Naturally, given the dismal performance in 03-04 expectations were lower in 04-05. Same will be true next year if we end up shy of 20 wins and in the NIT this year.

So, if we don't win 20 this year or next and play in the NIT both years will people here be dissatisfied like they were 10 years ago? Yes. Is anybody but Chicos fixated on making sure everybody goes ape shyte IF that's how the next two years play out? No. Makes you think there a very dark place in his heart that would celebrate if it actually happened. Why else would he spend his time publishing his daydreams about it?

No doubt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

NIT years, 03-04, 04-05.   Scoop debuted in October 2006.   This site didn't exist.  And I never was on rivals and didn't enjoy scout until the same week I joined here.   Scoop Wiki says that MU was ranked 23rd in the 03-04 preseason and was ranked for 10 weeks in the season.   So they must have gotten some preseason love.  I freely admit that sometimes seasons don't go as expected.  And I defended Crean on jsonline as the season death-spiraled.   It just hasn't remained my raison d'etre.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
Making excuses for not making the dance is fun--just like making excuses for not alnding a quality big every decade or so.

So, what you're saying is that you are not a fun guy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
NIT years, 03-04, 04-05.   Scoop debuted in October 2006.   This site didn't exist.  And I never was on rivals and didn't enjoy scout until the same week I joined here.   Scoop Wiki says that MU was ranked 23rd in the 03-04 preseason and was ranked for 10 weeks in the season.   So they must have gotten some preseason love.  I freely admit that sometimes seasons don't go as expected.  And I defended Crean on jsonline as the season death-spiraled.   It just hasn't remained my raison d'etre.

All true Tower, but I think you're taking too narrow a view of the Chicos "reason for being". His mission is to unearth what he sees as hypocrisy in every person he disagrees with on every imaginable topic - including, but certainly not limited to, religion, philosophy, politics, culture and sports. It's a massive undertaking that leaves very little time for considering his own hypocrisies, an irony not lost on those he calls out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
If I had a dollar for everytime a scooper unnecessarily provoked Chicos...

Props though, its been awhile since I've posted this
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »
If I had a dollar for everytime a scooper unnecessarily provoked Chicos...

Props though, its been awhile since I've posted this

Guess you missed his two previous posts in this thread.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
So, if we don't win 20 this year or next and play in the NIT both years will people here be dissatisfied like they were 10 years ago? Yes.

Are you really telling me that if we only win 19 games and only make the NIT, we can look forward to you in 2024 still harping about a dismal 19 win performance in 2014 as Buzz's defining coaching performance every time his name comes up? 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Are you really telling me that if we only win 19 games and only make the NIT, we can look forward to you in 2024 still harping about a dismal 19 win performance in 2014 as Buzz's defining coaching performance every time his name comes up? 

Of course not. I don't harp on Crean's dismal performance in 2003-04 or 2004-05 every time his name comes up either. I've always acknowledged that Crean was a pretty good coach. No Buzz, mind you, but pretty good. My biggest problem with him was never coaching acumen but his boorish behavior. I'm grateful he's Indiana's problem and not ours anymore.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
So, what you're saying is that you are not a fun guy.
WTF. I just said this was fun. Sorry you are not enjoying it--even though you are reading and commenting to my post.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.