'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stone is Huge  (Read 6107 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Stone is Huge
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
Watchin' today's game led me to the conclusion that MU is woefully short in talent. Some of this is due to players like Newbill and Taylor (transfer dude from Oklahoma, who never showed) who were recruited to fill a void, but didn't. And our lack of recruitin' bigs is well documented. In addition, we lost out on playas like Tokoto and Looney who are tall, athletic, and quick. Others, who are on the roster, simply haven't developed as needed.
This leads me to realize that signin' or not signin' Diamond Stone will be a definin' moment for Buzz and Marquette. In fact, I'd say its paramount to this program's future, like it was with Joe Wolf and Majerus.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
Re: Stone is Huge
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
4ever

Was just comparing Stone to Wolf to my son. Could not agree more. Going 0 for 3 on the three local studs would be major blow. Like our chances on Stone compared to Wolf back in the day. We need Diamond and we need him badly.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Because, of course, all bigs are ready to contribute as freshmen. Dakari Johnson is really tearing it up at UK.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
4ever

Was just comparing Stone to Wolf to my son. Could not agree more. Going 0 for 3 on the three local studs would be major blow. Like our chances on Stone compared to Wolf back in the day. We need Diamond and we need him badly.
Need him badly is a little strong. Landing stone would bring mu to championship level imo but not getting him would still leave us in better shape than majerus teams ever were

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
Y'all had to have lived through the significance of the Wolf/Majerus/MU scenario to appreciate the origin of my thoughts. Yes, Stone appears to be a program changer, but almost more importantly, would be in his presence, and what it means in bringin' in other coveted players and how it defines the program as it steps forward.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
Championship level?  How about winning against mediocre non-conference teams  level?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
Y'all had to have lived through the significance of the Wolf/Majerus/MU scenario to appreciate the origin of my thoughts. Yes, Stone appears to be a program changer, but almost more importantly, would be in his presence, and what it means in bringin' in other coveted players and how it defines the program as it steps forward.
Yeah in that regard you are correct

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
Championship level?  How about winning against mediocre non-conference teams  level?
Damn. Thought you were going to become a badger fan.

Look at the big picture dude instead of a few games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

How quickly we forget we were in an Elite Eight last year  ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
How quickly we forget we were in an Elite Eight last year  ::)
Yep--our performance this year makes it easy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »
Yep--our performance this year makes it easy.

It's a guards game. We need to recruit more bigs.

But it is true. Last year seems like it was an eternity ago. We ain't no good.  Let's get some guards.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
Land Stone and bright future. Loss him and things could change quickly. Agree that if you lived and saw the Wolf saga you understand there times programs hit a crossroad. Land Wof and Rick is here for long time. Ended up on short end of the straw and long two decades followed.

Was thinking about Rick a lot today. A year ago this weekend he passed away and have to say it really makes me sad. In last year I have lost several people I really cared for and hope next twelve months is better in that regard. When all is said and done it is only a game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
R u unnatural carnal knowledgein kidding me?  This thread was started by 4ever?
Wow--disappointing? Newbill-really?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
God damn if we only could land a recruit like Med Hill.......program changer. Too bad. O

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
R u unnatural carnal knowledgein kidding me?  This thread was started by 4ever?
Wow--disappointing? Newbill-really?

Newbill is a stretch because we wouldn't have Jamil without him.

But I think TJ Taylor would have been a contributor this year.  Probably the starting SG.  Solid player. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
Should we play the guessing game if Newbill were on the roster? Thats what we are doubg ? Please.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
Landing Stone would be especially great if he's a package deal with Charles Matthews.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 11:44:40 PM »
Landing Stone would be especially great if he's a package deal with Charles Matthews.

Hopefully, Stone and Matthews aren't a package deal because if they are that package is very unlikely to be heading MU's way.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »

No recruit will ever define the Marquette program.  The program as it exists currently is defined AS IT SHOULD BE by one guy, Buzz Williams.  The recruits that MU is getting and the recruits that aren't giving MU a serious thought are all being determined by the type of atmosphere that Buzz has created to coach/build a team the way he wants to do it.  I like the results so far, especially given the incredible consistency in the first five years.  Wolf might have determined Majerus's future at Marquette, but Majerus wasn't the coach then that he later showed himself to be at Utah and SLU.

Yes, Mrs. Looney would have been pleased if Buzz had spent a lot of valuable recruiting resources on Kevon before Kevon decided on UCLA, but Buzz having the good sense to move on early was the reason that MU landed its second very good class in a row.

Buzz will impress a certain amount of recruits and recruit's parents.  And a certain amount of recruits and recruits parents will find that Buzz is too corny or focuses too much on life lessons at the expense of basketball.  Great.  To each his own.  I am quite happy with what I've seen in the last 5 and 1/2 years, and I hope that Buzz continues on as the guy defining MU's basketball program.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:13:44 AM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »
Land Stone and bright future. Loss him and things could change quickly. Agree that if you lived and saw the Wolf saga you understand there times programs hit a crossroad. Land Wof and Rick is here for long time. Ended up on short end of the straw and long two decades followed.

Was thinking about Rick a lot today. A year ago this weekend he passed away and have to say it really makes me sad. In last year I have lost several people I really cared for and hope next twelve months is better in that regard. When all is said and done it is only a game.

The greatest compliment I can think to give you (and it is a compliment) is to say that coming from you this post disappoints me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:20:56 AM by LittleMurs »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

College BBall has changed so much. The situations are not at all comparable. There is so much more parity today than there was then. Getting one great player can elevate you a lot, but missing out on one is nowhere near the blow it was back then - particularly Wolf/ MU at the time. This would be nowhere near the same thing.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »
Stone is huge. 6'9" or 6'10", I hear. Now that is huge.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »
Buzz hasn't failed to reel in a top-100 RSCI guy in any class. He brought in 3 last year, seems a good chance there will be 2-3 again next year (depending on where Shayok ranks out), and we most likely already have one each in the 2015 and 2017 classes. While I recognize the difference between a true five-star blue chip like Stone and the top-100s we've been reeling in, our recruiting has been both steady and trending up. Our results on the court have done the same.

If we get stone, it will be huge. If we lose out, we will survive. The real X factor for me is coaching. As long as Buzz sticks around we'll be fine.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 08:20:42 AM »
Little Murs

My point on things changing quickly has more to do with MU's ability to attract top rated recruits. Stone is top 10 kid, in our backyard and to the best of my knowledge Buzz wants him badly. Sometimes losing a target recruit can have a long term affect on a program, especially a program like MU were Buzz fights for everything he gets.

That said, what I have heard recently gives me a good feeling on Buzz landing Stone. Sounds like a real serious interest from Stone and that is awesome.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »
Losing Wolf was a symptom of a greater problem.  If MU fails to land Stone, it is a much better place than it was back in 1983 when they lost Wolf.