[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament  (Read 18512 times)

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
Re: NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Most unimportant aspect of women's volleyball. Even very unimportant on the men's side. Oregon was the worst blocking team in the PAC 12 last year and lost in the National Championship.

Penn state brick walled Stanford in the final set and shut down Stanford offensively. Stanford didnt have enough weapons. Penn st seniors showed up big time
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
Penn state brick walled Stanford in the final set and shut down Stanford offensively. Stanford didnt have enough weapons. Penn st seniors showed up big time

It's a serve and pass game.  I didn't get to see the match, but my guess is Penn State served pretty tough and took Stanford out of system offensively, giving them only one offensive option and making it pretty easy for the Penn State blockers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
It's a serve and pass game.  I didn't get to see the match, but my guess is Penn State served pretty tough and took Stanford out of system offensively, giving them only one offensive option and making it pretty easy for the Penn State blockers.

Yeah. I agree with you on the serve and pass game definitely. But penn state dominated at the net and were great in transitioning from defense to offense in the last set. Great match to watch.
MU15

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
All four games are on espu live starting at 3
Stanford penn st 3
Purdue wis 530
Nebraska Texas 8
USC wash 1030
All times central

Pretty awesome night.  Beats men's basketball tonight

Saturday night at the Smooth Residence

Death on call

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
well, not while i'm at home for xmas break
MU15

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
well, not while i'm at home for xmas break

Home for the holidays??

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »
DVRed the next round so caught the end of the Penn State match. Both teams have some girls who are not hard to look at...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
Looking forward to the final two matches tonight. Nebraska-Texas and USC-washington
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
Crap ton of runs in the Wisconsin vs. Purdue match. First ball side out and side out efficiency both really low for both teams. Don't think either of these teams would've been overly competitive with either Penn State or Stanford.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
Crap ton of runs in the Wisconsin vs. Purdue match. First ball side out and side out efficiency both really low for both teams. Don't think either of these teams would've been overly competitive with either Penn State or Stanford.

Some horrendous passing
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Crazy that none of the pin blockers swing block. Hard to believe these teams struggle to terminate the ball given that fact.

Edit: Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Which makes it even crazier in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:15:38 PM by wadesworld »

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
Crazy that none of the pin blockers swing block. Hard to believe these teams struggle to terminate the ball given that fact.

Edit: Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Which makes it even crazier in my opinion.

That was some ugly volleyball after watching the first match and a few of the ones last night. Wisconsin has a 5-7 outside hitter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:25:25 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »
That was some ugly volleyball after watching the first match and a few of the ones last night. Wisconsin has a 5-7 outside hitter

Good little ball control L2. Uses the block a ton compared to the girls game. Rarely see it in women's volleyball but you should. Hitters that use the outside of the block are a ton more effective and if you're short you have to figure out how to stay tall and do just that. The block is your friend. Many players don't realize it.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Good little ball control L2. Uses the block a ton compared to the girls game. Rarely see it in women's volleyball but you should. Hitters that use the outside of the block are a ton more effective and if you're short you have to figure out how to stay tall and do just that. The block is your friend. Many players don't realize it.

Helps to have a good vertical leap like she does too. You see that more on the beach. Was Purdue using a 6-2 offense the whole match?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:47:49 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »
You'll see USC's libero again in Rio...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »

The only way I got kills in high school was tooling it off of the OH hands. I was a setter but if we ever ran a 6-2 or the middle had to set me I had to aim high off the hands if I wanted a kill. No way was a 5'9" setter putting it down...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:27 AM »
Personally, I much prefer Beach Volleyball as a competitive sport. It has that certain je ne sais quoi that is at once both inviting and enthralling.

Death on call

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
You'll see USC's libero again in Rio...

Hagglund is one of the best
MU15

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
Personally, I much prefer Beach Volleyball as a competitive sport. It has that certain je ne sais quoi that is at once both inviting and enthralling.

And the next Olympics is in Rio.................

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Wisconsin has a 5-7 outside hitter

I didn't see the match, but I assume you're talking about Deme Morales.  She's a "local" girl here in Cleveland.  Interestingly enough (to me at least), when my daughter was 12, her club coach was one of Deme's HS coaches.  I always assumed they'd transition her to DS at Wisconsin; I didn't realize she was playing OH.  Apparently that worked well for them the other night.  I never saw her play here, but heard that she was a great talent.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »

Many female college athletes in spandex ain't too hard to look at either.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »

I'm quoting this just to bring this fantastic collection of fillies up again.  Well done, Colonel.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
I didn't see the match, but I assume you're talking about Deme Morales.  She's a "local" girl here in Cleveland.  Interestingly enough (to me at least), when my daughter was 12, her club coach was one of Deme's HS coaches.  I always assumed they'd transition her to DS at Wisconsin; I didn't realize she was playing OH.  Apparently that worked well for them the other night.  I never saw her play here, but heard that she was a great talent.

The announcers said she has a 32-inch vertical leap
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
Would've predicted a Washington win over Texas in the National Championship.  I'm going to stick with it, even though Wisconsin has DOMINATED the first two sets against Texas.  The intermission really helps Texas here.  Wisconsin was owning every single facet of the game (even the block, despite the numbers saying Texas is dominating there, but really while they have more stuff blocks, they are also getting tooled on every other swing Wisconsin has and Wisconsin is not getting stuff blocks but is getting good touches that allows their defense to make an easy dig on every swing really).  Now it's like a whole new match, and Texas needs to get a sweep, which is far from out of the question.

I think the winner of Penn State and Washington takes the crown.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
I would flip if Wisconsin won it all...Screw them all.

feedback