Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One Other Set of Reflections from Wooden  (Read 2883 times)

WarriorTrojan

• Walk-On
One Other Set of Reflections from Wooden
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
Board,

Some other observations from the Wooden Classic after attending all three games, for what it is worth.

1.  Great support from MU alums at the games, great to see, and greater to see older folks like me with Warrior wear.  After last night's game, an older SDSU fan said to me on the way to the car.... 'No question, you guys are still Warriors. You never give up. How do you teach that?"
2. The team needs a leader.  Sat right behind the benches every game and it is simply not DW.  Team does not seem to look at him for the true leadership as opposed to just play executor.   Saw Novak years back and he was like an assistant on the floor.  There needs to be a floor general, and there isn't one.
3.  In person, JWilson is an amazing athlete with electric potential, but just will not THE senior leader. 
4.  Jake is a role player, not a starter of a major D1 team.  Shakes his head a lot after misses and blown assignments.  Let it go. 
5.  Burton is going to be amazing, and when his play was called (as one in bounds play was set last night), you could see him just light up.  He wants the ball.  He's got a swagger that is great to see.
6.  Buzz is a loyal guy, but this team is in the future.  If this turns out a 8-10 loss season, better to lose with the new bucks getting more than adequate time.  Taylor, Jr. is a step behind often, and it seems he does not feel in the flow.  Got to get him into the game for a decent stretch.
7.  Buzz seems to use the assistants very well.
8.  We should stop with the automatic with Devante as he is missing more this year.  SDSU folks mocking the chant. (Yes, he was plainly sick last night, but still.)
9.  A great exchange between Lazar and the team priest.  Lazar was smiling and truly respectful.   What MU is about.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: One Other Set of Reflections from Wooden
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Board,

Some other observations from the Wooden Classic after attending all three games, for what it is worth.

1.  Great support from MU alums at the games, great to see, and greater to see older folks like me with Warrior wear.  After last night's game, an older SDSU fan said to me on the way to the car.... 'No question, you guys are still Warriors. You never give up. How do you teach that?"
2. The team needs a leader.  Sat right behind the benches every game and it is simply not DW.  Team does not seem to look at him for the true leadership as opposed to just play executor.   Saw Novak years back and he was like an assistant on the floor.  There needs to be a floor general, and there isn't one.
3.  In person, JWilson is an amazing athlete with electric potential, but just will not THE senior leader. 
4.  Jake is a role player, not a starter of a major D1 team.  Shakes his head a lot after misses and blown assignments.  Let it go. 
5.  Burton is going to be amazing, and when his play was called (as one in bounds play was set last night), you could see him just light up.  He wants the ball.  He's got a swagger that is great to see.
6.  Buzz is a loyal guy, but this team is in the future.  If this turns out a 8-10 loss season, better to lose with the new bucks getting more than adequate time.  Taylor, Jr. is a step behind often, and it seems he does not feel in the flow.  Got to get him into the game for a decent stretch.
8.  We should stop with the automatic with Devante as he is missing more this year.  SDSU folks mocking the chant. (Yes, he was plainly sick last night, but still.)
9.  A great exchange between Lazar and the team priest.  Lazar was smiling and truly respectful.   What MU is about.

Well stated.  Good to see Duane Streeter there as well, he was talking to Father Kelly.  Supposedly Tony Miller was there last night, but I didn't see him.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Tony was great on the radio at half.

One of MU's most underrated players ever, IMO. A tremendous college point guard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
Tony was great on the radio at half.

One of MU's most underrated players ever, IMO. A tremendous college point guard.
He was all of that. Another great one among many was Mandy Johnson. Now there was a lock down PG
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
He was all of that. Another great one among many was Mandy Johnson. Now there was a lock down PG
The back and forth on the Jumbotron between the two fan bases was great.  Also, San Diego's fans knew MU was in Milwaukee...which I still don't think Georgetown's have figured out.  

Creighton is going to have a tough time on the road in the Big East.  With the grind and physical nature of the game, see GW game.  Fans are interesting:  they travel well, but more than a few were lamenting leaving the MVC because of ability to travel with the family to games, St. Louis for their tourney, etc.  welcome to the big leagues, boys!

The venue for a family-oriented holiday tournament was just okay.  While I did like Fullerton's set up, it wasn't convenient.  The general seating was a problem for the SDSU games as they took over fan sections.  I guess the Creighton-SDSU game got a bit crazy.  Most team's fans travel to get up close to their teams including seating behind their bench...not with rowdy college students when you have young kids.  Other tournaments bring in local high school bands to fill in for visiting teams and add excitement.  I heard the issues with the Anaheim Convention Center are being worked out, and it will return there next year.

Honda Center was great but team seating not organized.  MU should get credit for a road game.

Also, the refs were B and C level....and I am not just talking MU games.  The top holiday tournaments lock up the best refs...and it is used in attracting teams.  When Eads and Whitehead are the best you got, you are in trouble.  Laughing at the end when Buzz called the time out that Whitehead wouldn't give him after a made basket right before that...could read Buzz lips saying "I am going to make you wait to go home."  Brutal crew...and there is a reason they were not working other tournaments.

Lastly, the title sponsor was lacking.  No Scoop Suite, no celebrity sand volleyball games, no ASU vs. SDSU dance team competitions, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

Lastly, the title sponsor was lacking.  No Scoop Suite, no celebrity sand volleyball games, no ASU vs. SDSU dance team competitions, etc.
LOL

Well done.  You didn't get into the hospitality area on the 3rd level?  Good grub up there! 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
LOL

Well done.  You didn't get into the hospitality area on the 3rd level?  Good grub up there! 

I got the invite but preferred to sit with the common folk on the floor level. ;)

Highlight was a boy about 5 who randomly ran up to me politely and said "Marquette will win all its games...but not tonight".  Had to high five him.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »

Also, the refs were B and C level....and I am not just talking MU games.  The top holiday tournaments lock up the best refs...and it is used in attracting teams.  When Eads and Whitehead are the best you got, you are in trouble.  Laughing at the end when Buzz called the time out that Whitehead wouldn't give him after a made basket right before that...could read Buzz lips saying "I am going to make you wait to go home."  Brutal crew...and there is a reason they were not working other tournaments.

This was Eades and Whitehead's 7th game in 7 days. Padilla's 10th in 10.

No wonder they were awful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
This was Eades and Whitehead's 7th game in 7 days. Padilla's 10th in 10.

No wonder they were awful.
They were awful because they are awful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
I don't have the luxury of seeing our guys play in person very often so this weekend was special. Last night I had the good fortune to be seated right behind the MU bench and next to Lazar Haywood, who was kind enough to engage me in conversation during the game. What a fine gentleman and a credit to our program. That, coupled with the ability to watch Marquette play that frenetic pace, caused me to think long and hard on the hour drive south to home. Lazar told me he was proud and fortunate to have been a part of the Marquette program and I began to look at these young men, teenagers to early twenties, differently. I considered the sacrifices, the effort and the commitment they put into MU BBall and began to appreciate their competitiveness and the fact that they are out on the court striving to do their best.
I for one am not going to criticize them ever again but appreciate their effort win or lose and be grateful we have a program that selects  talented young men of high character.

On a lighter note, when Deonte came in I asked Lazar to watch this kid as he is a Stud. Each time DB made a move and  took a shot he would grab me  and say "That's Your Guy!"
Eventually Lazar started hollering " Give Him the Ball" "Give him the Ball". He was impressed that he had a scorer's mentality

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
I don't have the luxury of seeing our guys play in person very often so this weekend was special. Last night I had the good fortune to be seated right behind the MU bench and next to Lazar Haywood, who was kind enough to engage me in conversation during the game. What a fine gentleman and a credit to our program. That, coupled with the ability to watch Marquette play that frenetic pace, caused me to think long and hard on the hour drive south to home. Lazar told me he was proud and fortunate to have been a part of the Marquette program and I began to look at these young men, teenagers to early twenties, differently. I considered the sacrifices, the effort and the commitment they put into MU BBall and began to appreciate their competitiveness and the fact that they are out on the court striving to do their best.
I for one am not going to criticize them ever again but appreciate their effort win or lose and be grateful we have a program that selects  talented young men of high character.

On a lighter note, when Deonte came in I asked Lazar to watch this kid as he is a Stud. Each time DB made a move and  took a shot he would grab me  and say "That's Your Guy!"
Eventually Lazar started hollering " Give Him the Ball" "Give him the Ball". He was impressed that he had a scorer's mentality

Who's that?  Are you Len Elmore?!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
Board,

4.  Jake is a role player, not a starter of a major D1 team.  Shakes his head a lot after misses and blown assignments.  Let it go.  

Something that Diener did every single time that happened to him and also did it when others players made mistakes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

I was literally about 8 feet from you the whole game...I was mid bench with the great view of DG hurling.  I assume that was Buzz's kid next to Lazar's "friend" on his right?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
Yes it was Buzz' boy. too bad I didn't know it was you. I would have offered to buy you a brew

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Excellent post.  Thanks for the reminder about what's really important.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Can we have a "gentlemen only" section?

Nice to see calm posts with a vibe that reflects the true MU.

BTW, what's Lazar doing?  It seems he's not playing anywhere professionally right now.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
Board,

Good post, I don't agree with everything that was said (I was there for the first two games) but all of these are well reasoned arguements.

The only one I wan to contest is about Steve. Frankly, he looked awful this tournament. He can rebound but his defense, passing, and handle have all been sub par. I would rather see him slowly earn more playing time rather than him getting put in for longer stretches. Buzz will figure out how to get him comfortable on the court
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback