And The New...... by Nukem2
[Today at 02:34:32 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Silkk the Shaka
[Today at 02:05:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

2024-25 Roster by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:28:48 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 01:11:48 PM]

[Paint Touches] 2023 Big East Tax Fillings by PaintTouches
[Today at 12:11:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I love me some D-Burt  (Read 7524 times)

Wade for President

• All American
I love me some D-Burt
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Last night we saw more glimpses of how overpowering Burton can be for defenders to handle.  If he can continue to hit that mid-range jumper, coupled with his uber aggressive play, strong frame, long-wingspan, he'll be a match-up nightmare.

The play in the 2nd half when he caught the ball at the top of the key, gave a ball fake, spun to the hoop, and finger rolled it with the left, was DWade-esque.

In a season that has started with more bumps than we're recently accustomed to, Burton continues to show flashes (last night's was blinding at times) of his seemingly bright future.

After watching some of Deonte's insane YouTube highlights, I'm dying to see the young bull take one the length of the court for a SportCenter-esque dunk.

Deonte....you're table is ready.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: I love me some D-Burt
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
After watching some of Deonte's insane YouTube highlights, I'm dying to see the young bull take one the length of the court for a SportCenter-esque dunk.

He put on the best show I've ever seen in a Madness dunk contest.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Love his aggressiveness.   He wants to be the man.   Needs to learn to countermove and finish with his right hand.   With his height, as soon as they start committing to taking away his left hand, he is going to need his own counter. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Love his aggressiveness.   He wants to be the man.   Needs to learn to countermove and finish with his right hand.   With his height, as soon as they start committing to taking away his left hand, he is going to need his own counter. 

+1....and he needs to figure out what to do on the defensive end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
Yup, his defense needs work.  IMO, that is where is size is a problem right now.   Not quick enough to guard 2/3's, not big enough to guard 4's.  He can learn technique to compensate, just like has on offense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
I find it absolutely comical that Burton's defense is getting criticized - as if its some kind of net negative - benchmarked against all he brings from an offensive positive perspective.

First, his defense hasn't been bad at all.  Second, his assertiveness, confidence, power and finishing ability are exactly what this team need.  I'd hate to think of what last night's game would have looked like had he not played and performed as he did.

Oh...and Sultan, Guns - you could see very easily in Burton's limited minutes against the cupcake opponents he has "it."  Hard to do much when you get 5-8 minutes of playing time, broken down into 2 different 3-4 minute segments - as Burton has been given.  Look what happened when Deonte, and even JJJ have been given long stretches of PT - they've performed their best.  It takes time to get into a rhythm/flow.  Sadly, the guys getting the most minutes - Derrick and Jake - produce the least, when they should be producing a lot more given there long, extended stretches of minutes - that no other players are afforded on MU.

Love Buzz, but feel his continued decision to ride Derrick and Jake for 25-30 minutes a game is what ails this team - and will all year, if he doesn't change his approach. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
Derrick I feel played well before his fall. But honestly I don't know who you ply in his place, jamil hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. The double bigs hasn't worked at all. This team has potential. Many are giving up but with growth throughout the season I think this team could knock some off in tourney. I see a 5-7 team with potential.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
I find it absolutely comical that Burton's defense is getting criticized - as if its some kind of net negative - benchmarked against all he brings from an offensive positive perspective.

First, his defense hasn't been bad at all.  Second, his assertiveness, confidence, power and finishing ability are exactly what this team need.  I'd hate to think of what last night's game would have looked like had he not played and performed as he did.

Oh...and Sultan, Guns - you could see very easily in Burton's limited minutes against the cupcake opponents he has "it."  Hard to do much when you get 5-8 minutes of playing time, broken down into 2 different 3-4 minute segments - as Burton has been given.  Look what happened when Deonte, and even JJJ have been given long stretches of PT - they've performed their best.  It takes time to get into a rhythm/flow.  Sadly, the guys getting the most minutes - Derrick and Jake - produce the least, when they should be producing a lot more given there long, extended stretches of minutes - that no other players are afforded on MU.

Love Buzz, but feel his continued decision to ride Derrick and Jake for 25-30 minutes a game is what ails this team - and will all year, if he doesn't change his approach. 

Have to disagree on the defensive end....he spent most of the night guard O'Brien last night who almost literally has only one hand.  Can/Is his defense improving?  Sure/a little, but if you are either lying or not paying attention to him on the defensive end.  ;D He is lost or a step late nearly every possession.  In fact, one of Jamil Wilson's dumb fouls(that seems redundant) was because Jamil was forced to rotate help side when Deonte lost his guy in traffic instead of playing goal side of his man.

Having said that he is way better than Taylor at this point which is surprising.  

Burton has earned more minutes but lets not pretend that his offensive game doesn't come with liabilities on the defensive end at this point.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »

So Buzz should play Burton and JJJ for long stretches, take lumps defensively and hope that one or both of them can get into a flow offensively?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

I love Burton. I commented on him a long time ago. Feel free to go back and check. Love his potential.

As far as extended minutes, this is the same argument you used for Todd last year when you said that he could be as good as Vander if he got minutes. (same thing you said for Dawson vs Derrick).

Buzz sees them everyday. He knows what he has. He's not going to hand John Dawson 25min. "just because". Dawson is going to have to earn them in practice. He has to show that he's a good option. Same for Todd.

If Todd was destroying Jake everyday in practice, and was doing everything Buzz wanted, you can bet your ass he'd get more minutes.

Guys get the minutes they earn. Todd and Dawson are getting what they have earned. When they play better than the guy in front of them, they will start to see more minutes.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
Burton, JJJ and Duane Wilson all be major parts of success moving forward. The more minutes the better IMO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »

No one said it was a net negative.  It most certainly wasn't last night.  Other days it might be.  But he does need to work on his defense.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »

Exactly!  You can totally tell, in limited minutes if someone has IT!

Best regards,

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
Too bad we don't have a Stud of the Game following losses. He would get my vote.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
Exactly!  You can totally tell, in limited minutes if someone has IT!

Best regards,

Kinsella's senior day breakout is till one of the biggest head scratchers I've ever seen.

flooda_34

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »

I've been on the Bull's bandwagon since the summer:  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=39364.msg507775#msg507775

After last nights game I'm convinced he should be getting 15-20min per game, especially when he is showing that agressiveness and making shots.  I hear the critiques about his D and of course he needs to improve it, but I dont think its nearly a bad as its been described in some places.  He's the most physically ready to play of all the freshmen and will only improve with consistent minutes.  it was nice to see Buzz give him extended minutes down the stretch last night, rewarding his agressive play.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 01:45:49 PM »
Oh...and Sultan, Guns - you could see very easily in Burton's limited minutes against the cupcake opponents he has "it."   Hard to do much when you get 5-8 minutes of playing time, broken down into 2 different 3-4 minute segments - as Burton has been given.  Look what happened when Deonte, and even JJJ have been given long stretches of PT - they've performed their best.  It takes time to get into a rhythm/flow.  Sadly, the guys getting the most minutes - Derrick and Jake - produce the least, when they should be producing a lot more given there long, extended stretches of minutes - that no other players are afforded on MU.
Sultan, surely, these cliches won't stand!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
My two thoughts:

1. Having never seen Burton in high school, this was my first chance to see him get a nice run in a close game against a quality opponent. I was thoroughly impressed. I'm still trying to figure out how he got that one banker in from almost behind the backboard! Some guys just have a knack for scoring, and maybe that describes Deonte. Goodness knows, we need scoring. He's a tough rebounder for his size, too. Definitely a step behind on defense but I'm hoping that's more attributable to inexperience than anything else and will be improved once he gets "coached up" more.

2. Is anybody else a little surprised that less than a minute after Burton gave us our only lead of the second half, 50-48 with 6:11 left, Buzz pulled him? Usually, Buzz, like most coaches, like to ride the hot hand. And no Warrior has had a hotter hand all season than Deonte did during that 7-minute stretch. Buzz got him back into the game less than 2 minutes later, but the mojo was gone. Maybe Deonte just needed a rest because he hadn't played so many minutes consecutively, and if so that certainly is a plausible explanation, but it sure seemed an inopportune time to take him out. Especially taking him out and putting in Jake, who was pretty much useless on both ends of the floor all night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

No one said it was a net negative.  It most certainly wasn't last night.  Other days it might be.  But he does need to work on his defense.

And so do JT and JA.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »

2. Is anybody else a little surprised that less than a minute after Burton gave us our only lead of the second half, 50-48 with 6:11 left, Buzz pulled him? Usually, Buzz, like most coaches, like to ride the hot hand. And no Warrior has had a hotter hand all season than Deonte did during that 7-minute stretch. Buzz got him back into the game less than 2 minutes later, but the mojo was gone. Maybe Deonte just needed a rest because he hadn't played so many minutes consecutively, and if so that certainly is a plausible explanation, but it sure seemed an inopportune time to take him out. Especially taking him out and putting in Jake, who was pretty much useless on both ends of the floor all night.

That is one of my biggest gripes of the entire game.  I'm still not convinced Buzz is a great in-game coach.  Many more examples besides that, but why on earth he pulls the only guy hot on offense is beyond me.  It's common sense to leave someone in when they are producing that much so quickly.  If he screws up big time on D a few times and forces a couple shots, pull him.  I don't think he needed a rest either.  What do I know though.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
One thing I really liked about Deonte's game was those "wide post" scores.  That would give us another element.  We have a bunch of low post scorers, three point shooters, and drivers but nobody who consistently pulls up accurately from mid-range.  Jamil is a slight exception.

At least the wide post will have defenses thinking about another element of Marquette's offense

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
Glad people are beginning to understand how good my brother Deonte is / can become. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 11:04:04 PM »
That is one of my biggest gripes of the entire game.  I'm still not convinced Buzz is a great in-game coach.  Many more examples besides that, but why on earth he pulls the only guy hot on offense is beyond me.  It's common sense to leave someone in when they are producing that much so quickly.  If he screws up big time on D a few times and forces a couple shots, pull him.  I don't think he needed a rest either.  What do I know though.

Buzz certainly has earned the benefit of the doubt, and then some. I'm a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean he never messes up or is beyond criticism.

Again, maybe Deonte was gassed or Buzz just saw something going on. As was pointed out in another thread, the score was tied when Deonte came back in, so it's not as if, in the short-term, the brief sit-down cost the team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 03:51:47 AM »
LOL@thisIlovemesomeD-BurtTopicThreadtitle ....

I love the thread...

'D-Burt' is blowing up. Lets hear it for the Freshman! Ha ha ha. Tha roof da roof da roof is on fire!

D-Burt, JJJ, J.D, DuWil..
Diaper dandies baby! <Dickie V's voice...> No, please don't shoot. LOL.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:53:25 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
I believe Burton will be fantastic. He's got that same kind of hunger Jae Crowder had in him. But this idea of declaring "it", whatever the hell "it" is, after one game is idiotic. We were pretty much told a week ago that ASU had "it" and they were a top-15 team. We've been told John Dawson has "it". Well, "it" is a load of crap. You don't learn about anyone because of one game. You learn about them over time. If the freshmen can do it they'll get a chance to prove it, but they have to earn it. And they have to do that on the defensive end. I really want to see over the next few months and years what Johnson, Burton, Dawson, and DuWil can bring to the table. But until they earn it defensively, those chances will be limited.

And seriously, this stupid "it" has to be the worst cliche we've had on this site. Toss that baby out with the bathwater.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.