Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Same chicken little-ing, different season  (Read 6072 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
Same chicken little-ing, different season
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
I said to a friend that the outcry here would be hilarious. I was right. I have faith in the guy that has won 7 NCAA games the last 3 years.

Pretty staggering, the collective trolling, lobotimization, and flat out idiocy that has occurred on this board, game 3 of the season. 

We played poorly, we were coached poorly.  We lost badly. 

But seriously, GET SOME  F***ING PERSPECTIVE.  Sigh…welcome back, chicken little brigade--it's like you haven't watched ANY Marquette basketball over the past 5-6 seasons--have you?  Hell, that's why the checklist may be one of the best posts ever on Scoop. That stuff happens, without fail, EVERY SEASON.  So calm down.

The same folks who beg and plead to pay Buzz more, and wet themselves out of fear over every article written about Texas basketball, strangely are the some of the same folks burying the guy over A SINGLE GAME in November.  Would you rather MU have beaten Butler last November, or in March? (I hope that folks know that's a rhetorical question, because NO ONE with any sanity would answer the former.)  So enough with the diaper-baby rants about a loss in November being "A BIG DEAL."  Games in March are BIG DEALS, because when a team loses them, the season is OVER (they also happen to be nationally televised!).  Games like Saturday's, well, it was rough on the eyeballs, but we'll play ~25+ more, starting Thursday. And OH NOES, the committee will arbitrarily "seed" us somewhere in a tournament completely dependent upon matchups and preparation.

Some of Buzz's moves should be criticized from this game.  But get serious--we all know his early season strategy of playing upperclassmen, despite freshmen who ultimately will be better players.  WE KNOW THIS--HE'S DONE IT FOR YEARS.  We also know the guy will experiment, tweak the lineups, figure out which groups of players execute well together, calibrate different lineups for opponents, and WIN.  WE KNOW THIS BECAUSE HE'S DONE IT FOR YEARS.

Buzz's record stands for itself.  The guy who has taken us to the NCAA tournament EVERY YEAR, 2 sweet 16s, an elite 8, and continually rakes in highly rated recruits (EVEN A BIG THIS YEAR!) has EARNED some slack, and DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, and not the tsunami of overwrought, PATHETIC, concern trolling bulls*** masquerading as some sort of referendum on his coaching and the state of the season after the THIRD F***ING game. 

Be better fans, please.  And for f***'s sake, get some sort of grip on history and some perspective. 

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Same chicken little-ing, different season
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Pretty staggering, the collective trolling, lobotimization, and flat out idiocy that has occurred on this board, game 3 of the season. 

But seriously, GET SOME  F***ING PERSPECTIVE.  Sigh…welcome back, chicken little brigade--it's like you haven't watched ANY Marquette basketball over the past 5-6 seasons--have you?  Hell, that's why the checklist may be one of the best posts ever on Scoop. That stuff happens, without fail, EVERY SEASON.  So calm down.

The same folks who beg and plead to pay Buzz more, and wet themselves out of fear over every article written about Texas basketball, strangely are the some of the same folks burying the guy over A SINGLE GAME in November.  Would you rather MU have beaten Butler last November, or in March? (I hope that folks know that's a rhetorical question, because NO ONE with any sanity would answer the former.)  So enough with the diaper-baby rants about a loss in November being "A BIG DEAL."  Games in March are BIG DEALS, because when a team loses them, the season is OVER (they also happen to be nationally televised!).  Games like Saturday's, well, it was rough on the eyeballs, but we'll play ~25+ more, starting Thursday. And OH NOES, the committee will arbitrarily "seed" us somewhere in a tournament completely dependent upon matchups and preparation.

Some of Buzz's moves should be criticized from this game.  But get serious--we all know his early season strategy of playing upperclassmen, despite freshmen who ultimately will be better players.  WE KNOW THIS--HE'S DONE IT FOR YEARS.  We also know the guy will experiment, tweak the lineups, figure out which groups of players execute well together, calibrate different lineups for opponents, and WIN.  WE KNOW THIS BECAUSE HE'S DONE IT FOR YEARS.

Buzz's record stands for itself.  The guy who has taken us to the NCAA tournament EVERY YEAR, 2 sweet 16s, an elite 8, and continually rakes in highly rated recruits (EVEN A BIG THIS YEAR!) has EARNED some slack, and DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, and not the tsunami of overwrought, PATHETIC, concern trolling bulls*** masquerading as some sort of referendum on his coaching and the state of the season after the THIRD F***ING game. 

Be better fans, please.  And for f***'s sake, get some sort of grip on history and some perspective.

+1000....well said Lab.  A disappointing game for sure, but the sky is not falling.  Buzz will get it right with the lineup/team by conference play.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »
Testify.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »

Correct for the most part. We know DG, JWill, Mayo, etc. all just had their worst games at the same time and it's unlikely to happen again. We think Jake's minutes will go down as we get to the heart of the schedule.

But, the difference is that we have seen Derrick enough to know that he's not gonna be someone else. PG will continue to be a problem.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
So, when can the inmates 'pect a turnaround?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Would you kindly post this on the Scout board too! :'(

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
Where?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

Last year's team, with its last second wins and narrow escapes, is not likely to repeat itself this year, and we have a less talented team to boot (and the best talent we have are generally freshmen except for Gardner, Wilson and perhaps Mayo).  We got very lucky last year, just a few wrong things happen instead of right and it would have been a disappointing season, but we probably would've retained Vander.  Thanks to the heroics and our solid preseason ranking this year, we are a marked team instead of the underdog.  Combine that with the fact that we have had some performances in the last several games (going back to last year) that just flat-out stunk, and I don't think we should have the same optimism we've had in Buzz past years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
Last year's team, with its last second wins and narrow escapes, is not likely to repeat itself this year, and we have a less talented team to boot (and the best talent we have are generally freshmen except for Gardner, Wilson and perhaps Mayo).  We got very lucky last year, just a few wrong things happen instead of right and it would have been a disappointing season, but we probably would've retained Vander.  Thanks to the heroics and our solid preseason ranking this year, we are a marked team instead of the underdog.  Combine that with the fact that we have had some performances in the last several games (going back to last year) that just flat-out stunk, and I don't think we should have the same optimism we've had in Buzz past years.

I reject that last year's team was unusually lucky. We won a few games we could have lost and lost a couple we could have won. Sounds suspiciously like sports to me.

Vander worked hard to make himself a better player, and because of that, he was able to make "lucky" last-second shots against St. John's and Davidson. Junior had 'nads the size of canteloupes and because of that, he had the courage to take -- and make -- that shot against UConn.

In sports, and in life, one usually makes one's own luck, be it good luck or bad luck.

My only reason for lack of optimism this season is that I do not see even a decent PG in the house. I don't want it to seem that I believe Derrick is the only reason we went belly-up against OSU or that we almost laid a giant egg against Southern. But the PG is the tone-setter in college basketball. Even after Vander got very good, we always played better when Junior had his better games. Look at some of our best wins during Junior's soph, jr and sr seasons -- he was a catalyst.

If one would try to argue that, at this point his third year in the program, we didn't know Junior could be the catalyst, I would say that's totally untrue. He had an enormous game to beat West Virginia in the previous year's Big East tourney, a win we had to have to make the NCAAs. Then, in the amazing win over Syracuse that put us in the Sweet 16, he had 9 points, 3 assists, hit all his FTs and just ran the team beautifully.

We had reason to believe he could be an effective PG at this level. Not a star, not even a Diener, but effective. We had reason to believe he could drive and dish, reason to believe he could make a few shots when the team needed them, reason to believe he wouldn't brick crucial FTs.

Has Derrick Wilson shown a shred of evidence that he can do any of those things, let alone all three?

We weren't overly lucky last year. We had one of the better PGs in the conference and one of the top 25 SGs in the entire country. Now, we have Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas.

That's why I'm not overly optimistic.

I hope like heck they prove me wrong, but I fear they won't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
I reject that last year's team was unusually lucky. We won a few games we could have lost and lost a couple we could have won. Sounds suspiciously like sports to me.

Well, Ken Pomeroy did rank us 10th of 347 D1 teams in terms of luck. :D

Vander worked hard to make himself a better player, and because of that, he was able to make "lucky" last-second shots against St. John's and Davidson. Junior had 'nads the size of canteloupes and because of that, he had the courage to take -- and make -- that shot against UConn.

In sports, and in life, one usually makes one's own luck, be it good luck or bad luck.

My only reason for lack of optimism this season is that I do not see even a decent PG in the house. I don't want it to seem that I believe Derrick is the only reason we went belly-up against OSU or that we almost laid a giant egg against Southern. But the PG is the tone-setter in college basketball. Even after Vander got very good, we always played better when Junior had his better games. Look at some of our best wins during Junior's soph, jr and sr seasons -- he was a catalyst.

If one would try to argue that, at this point his third year in the program, we didn't know Junior could be the catalyst, I would say that's totally untrue. He had an enormous game to beat West Virginia in the previous year's Big East tourney, a win we had to have to make the NCAAs. Then, in the amazing win over Syracuse that put us in the Sweet 16, he had 9 points, 3 assists, hit all his FTs and just ran the team beautifully.

We had reason to believe he could be an effective PG at this level. Not a star, not even a Diener, but effective. We had reason to believe he could drive and dish, reason to believe he could make a few shots when the team needed them, reason to believe he wouldn't brick crucial FTs.

Has Derrick Wilson shown a shred of evidence that he can do any of those things, let alone all three?

We weren't overly lucky last year. We had one of the better PGs in the conference and one of the top 25 SGs in the entire country. Now, we have Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas.

One other consideration I'll add to your comments:

Junior Cadougan was ranked 47th in the 2009 RSCI.
Vander Blue was ranked 48th in the 2010 RSCI.
Derrick Wilson, Jake Thomas and John Dawson were as far as I can tell in nobody's top 100, nor in Rival's top 150.

I know the popular thing to do around here is to hand-wave away all rankings and declare them worthless.  As if any player can improve to any level with the right amount of hard work and Buzz's coaching magic pixie dust, as proven by whatever exception-of-the-day one wishes to use.

But if we look back, our PGs of the recent past have included:
#47 RSCI Junior Cadougan
#36 RCSI Dominic James
#40 RSCI Travis Diener

Buzz should have made a top 50 point guard his #1 priority in the 2012 class--a guy who could play 10-15 mpg backing up Cadougan last year, and been ready to step up from day one this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
Well, Ken Pomeroy did rank us 10th of 347 D1 teams in terms of luck. :D

Yes, and Ken Pomeroy also ranks Wisconsin No. 1 most seasons!

One other consideration I'll add to your comments:

Junior Cadougan was ranked 47th in the 2009 RSCI.
Vander Blue was ranked 48th in the 2010 RSCI.
Derrick Wilson, Jake Thomas and John Dawson were as far as I can tell in nobody's top 100, nor in Rival's top 150.

I know the popular thing to do around here is to hand-wave away all rankings and declare them worthless.  As if any player can improve to any level with the right amount of hard work and Buzz's coaching magic pixie dust, as proven by whatever exception-of-the-day one wishes to use.

But if we look back, our PGs of the recent past have included:
#47 RSCI Junior Cadougan
#36 RCSI Dominic James
#40 RSCI Travis Diener

Buzz should have made a top 50 point guard his #1 priority in the 2012 class--a guy who could play 10-15 mpg backing up Cadougan last year, and been ready to step up from day one this year.

Excellent point, Equalizer.

Just because one wishes Buzz had done this, it doesn't suggest disdain for Buzz. I love the guy and am thrilled he's our coach and have said so hundreds of times. But, like the rest of us, he isn't perfect, and this was one of the few areas he messed up.

It's big-time, high-major, championship-aspirations college basketball. You gotta have a good PG.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »

Thank you for stating it much better than I.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
Thank you for stating it much better than I.

You're welcome ... and now I'm going to let it rest about Derrick.

I've made my point, right or wrong. I'm going to wait until at least after the next game to revisit it.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
Perspective is this: We don't have the perimeter players that can replace Junior and Vander. So this is a DIFFERENT situation from before and I think the Chicken Little-ing, though frowned upon, has some merit. Supporting the case are: 1) shooting 18.9% on our HOME floor and 2) the backourt shot a collective 4-31, again on our home floor.

Bad shooting night? Maybe.
Tough OSU defense? Sure.

But you don't win BE games that way.

I guess UNC fans can chant with us that the "sky is falling..."
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
Just as predictable as the "chicken little" brigade is the brigade angrily protesting them.

We can check that one off the list, too.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »

would love to know the specifics of how this played out...buzz has gone on record talking about wanting many pg's on his team...not sure why it didn't work out, but i don't think it's a coincidence that we ended up with 2 in this year's class, and at least 1 more in the near future.  they went without d. wilson for a brief time against OSU and the offense looked out of sorts and he quickly got him back in.  it will be interesting to see how buzz uses his freshmen for the remainder of the year, and i'm sure much of that depends on the success of the team/post season expectations. 

brandx

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
would love to know the specifics of how this played out...buzz has gone on record talking about wanting many pg's on his team...not sure why it didn't work out, but i don't think it's a coincidence that we ended up with 2 in this year's class, and at least 1 more in the near future.  they went without d. wilson for a brief time against OSU and the offense looked out of sorts and he quickly got him back in.  it will be interesting to see how buzz uses his freshmen for the remainder of the year, and i'm sure much of that depends on the success of the team/post season expectations. 

You do see the irony......

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Just as predictable as the "chicken little" brigade is the brigade angrily protesting them.

We can check that one off the list, too.

There are definitely the self-righteous posters who eagerly anticipate the first negative criticism so they can claim ultimate Warrior loyalty and put down everyone else as chicken littles.

They are just as obnoxious as the true chicken littles.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Correct for the most part. We know DG, JWill, Mayo, etc. all just had their worst games at the same time and it's unlikely to happen again. We think Jake's minutes will go down as we get to the heart of the schedule.

But, the difference is that we have seen Derrick enough to know that he's not gonna be someone else. PG will continue to be a problem.

Agree...but I think the Derrick/PG issue is pretty much the same as the Jake/SG issue.  I suspect Dawson and maybe Todd will gradually get more of Derrick's minutes, just like I belive Todd, Juan and maybe JJJ will get more of Jake's SG minutes.  As long as Derrick and Jake end up where they belong - in a true rotation with Dawson, Todd, Juan and JJJ - we should be fine.  If they continue to get 25-35+ minutes, we will continue to struggle.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
I want to go on record that we are good. We did not play that bad Saturday. We missed a lot of good shots. Mayo shot horribly, but I thought he played well and I thought it was quite clear that Buzz wants him taking a lot of shots. Just one of those days, IMO. Also, people pining for Junior Cadougan are laughable. Derrick is fine. This was basically his first start of any substance (Wisconsin game was a surprise start). Give him time to gain some confidence. How was The great Junior his first few games? How about Diener? Acker? Cubes? Wilson is a better athlete than any of them. He's never gonna be a great shooter, but he's fine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
I want to go on record that we are good. We did not play that bad Saturday. We missed a lot of good shots. Mayo shot horribly, but I thought he played well and I thought it was quite clear that Buzz wants him taking a lot of shots. Just one of those days, IMO. Also, people pining for Junior Cadougan are laughable. Derrick is fine. This was basically his first start of any substance (Wisconsin game was a surprise start). Give him time to gain some confidence. How was The great Junior his first few games? How about Diener? Acker? Cubes? Wilson is a better athlete than any of them. He's never gonna be a great shooter, but he's fine.

Agree on Mayo.  Some fans have been critical of his game on Saturday, but in reality he did what he should have done -- when his outside shots weren't falling, he went inside instead.   The main problem was that the entire defense was able to collapse on him because nobody else was shooting well either.  And frankly, many of his wild inside shots almost fell, which could have made it a much closer game.

I also agree that Derrick isn't as bad as many claim. I don't think his upside is quite as good as Junior's due to his weak shooting, but he makes up for some of that with better defense.  I think the ideal will be to develop Dawson into a solid backup, and use him when we need a bit more offense.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »

Agree with the direction of this.   I thought going in that tOSU was a bad matchup and it was.   A complete, teamwide inability to make anything was more to blame than DeWilson.   2 turnovers in 38 minutes.   Guarded by Craft.  If MU shoots 40 % of their layups/uncontested shots, MU wins.   MU killed them on the boards.  Held them to the low 50's.      But nothing fell.    Layups, more layups, good looks, breakaway layups, open jumpers.....nada.   So, more assertive offense from our skilled offensive players.   See some shots go in. 
     I believe, with every fiber of my being, that if the rest of the team performs to its ability,  plays with passion and intensity on offense, plays defense like it did in the first half against the Buckeyes, that this is an elite 8 team with DeWilson at the point, only turning the ball over 2x in 38 minutes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
One more thing. This wasn't even close to the worst game of the Buzz Williams era. I'm not sure this is even top 5. The Vandy game was way worse. We were out of that game in the first 5 minutes.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

He did in 2013 ... Duane Wilson.  Then he broke his foot and it out (similar to Junior his Freshman year).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »

I second that, Nightmare. Every hunting dog is gun shy its first time out. This team will be fine. I cannot wait to read this board come March.

Death on call

feedback