[Today at 12:07:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another example of (sports) hero worship...  (Read 5459 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Another example of (sports) hero worship...
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
I have no idea on most of the details about the case. Having said that, like every other instance before this one, it seems a bit shady all around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »
I have no idea on most of the details about the case. Having said that, like every other instance before this one, it seems a bit shady all around.

The prosecutor said this:  "We have a duty as prosecutors to only file charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction....  We did not feel we could meet that burden."

That IMO is pretty darn near a "I think something illegal went on....but I can't prove it" type of implication.

So is it shady, as in did he get preferential treatment from the DA?  I don't think so. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »

The prosecutor said this:  "We have a duty as prosecutors to only file charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction....  We did not feel we could meet that burden."

That IMO is pretty darn near a "I think something illegal went on....but I can't prove it" type of implication.

So is it shady, as in did he get preferential treatment from the DA?  I don't think so.  

It is a very odd case, particularly in the way that it played out almost a year after the incident took place. On top of that, you have the officer telling the accuser that she needs to think long and hard about pressing charges because FSU fans could make her life hell. Was that a threat because he was biased toward FSU football or was he sincerely warning her of what would likely happen if she moved forward?

Also, I'm no lawyer, but if this had gone to trial, I'd have to think that the defense would be able to portray her as a liar right off the bat. She claims to have been basically blackout drunk that night (which also hurts her case) but the toxicology report showed her with a BAC of .04. Tough for the prosectutor to come back from that, I'd think.

Having said all that, the cynic in me can't help but think that there were some shady actions from the TPD.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
Oh I agree that things look shady, or at the least very in appropriate, from the Police Department.  I just think the DA's hand are tied here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
Oh I agree that things look shady, or at the least very in appropriate, from the Police Department.  I just think the DA's hand are tied here.

Agreed.

Does anyone expect anything to come of this from the university? When MU had some front-page issues, we lost an AD and such.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Agreed.

Does anyone expect anything to come of this from the university? When MU had some front-page issues, we lost an AD and such.

Doubtful. The MU case was a breakdown in protocol between Public Safety and the MPD. I don't believe the university was directly involved in the Winston case.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:25:27 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
nm

feedback