Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bottom Line- Grambling  (Read 4812 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Bottom Line- Grambling
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
I really don't like criticizing the schedule, but I'm wondering how this was better than a good practice?

Or picking the best 10 players at the rec center and scrimmaging them?
Agreed. This was really a playground scrimmage. Good to get everybody involved, but Grambling ain't no TheOSU!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
I wonder how many points we would of scored, if our point guards could shoot?
I think most already know that De. Wilson cannot shoot well. And so far, he is hardly taking any shots. Where this will hurt us is in tight games where our scorers are being well defended. Then Derek will need to step up and make some--and at better than a 30% clip. Hope he is up to the task.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
I think most already know that De. Wilson cannot shoot well. And so far, he is hardly taking any shots. Where this will hurt us is in tight games where our scorers are being well defended. Then Derek will need to step up and make some--and at better than a 30% clip. Hope he is up to the task.

If the "best defensive guard in the country" doesn't have to consider the chance of Wilson shooting on Saturday, will Wilson even be able to do the things he does well?

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »
Another bottom line...

The Derrick Wilson debate will continue. It looks awful (even worse with Dylan Flood getting on the floor) that he was the only player to have 0 points. But, he did have 10 assists and just 1 turnover.

That TO was our first posession - about 10 seconds into the game, so he shook it off nicely. He's still very pedestrian out there.

He just doesn't create enough offensively to get this team where it needs to be. Use him to grind down other guards.

Buzz has hinted that his leadership abilities have expanded quite a bit which is good for Derrick and the team - but his game is very limited. Keep him in the same type of role he had last year; that is his best chance to be successful night in and night out.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
Turnover stats are somewhat subjective. I remember the first play that Derrick had a turnover on. There also was another play in the second half where he threw an amazing pass to Taylor that caught Taylor by surprise and it went through his hands. They must of gave that turnover to Taylor. It is kind like interceptions in football. There are interceptions where the quarterback just simply throws a bad pass. There are interceptions, because the receiver runs the wrong route. There are interceptions after the ball gets deflected by the receiver. Than there are the bad passes that should of been intercepted, but the defensive player just drops the ball.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
Turnover stats are somewhat subjective. I remember the first play that Derrick had a turnover on. There also was another play in the second half where he threw an amazing pass to Taylor that caught Taylor by surprise and it went through his hands. They must of gave that turnover to Taylor. It is kind like interceptions in football. There are interceptions where the quarterback just simply throws a bad pass. There are interceptions, because the receiver runs the wrong route. There are interceptions after the ball gets deflected by the receiver. Than there are the bad passes that should of been intercepted, but the defensive player just drops the ball.

If they gave that one to Taylor it is like giving an error to the shortstop when the 3rd basemen bobbles the ball.

It was the right idea by DW and the ball was on target - BUT it was like a 100 mph fastball from 5 feet away. I don't think anyone would have handled that pass.