[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gotta start it...Dawson needs to be starting PG  (Read 89080 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: #2 John Dawson
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »
What do you Guys think about this John Dawson Kid......

He's got Size... Court Vision.... No look passes... Handle.... A nice looking Jumper... Pushed the ball well... Didn't Turn it over.... and had a beautiful spin move.....

Set up his men well.... and is only 18 years old....
Had 2 turnovers.
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Gotta start it...Dawson needs to be starting PG
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
Mount Mary could be them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
I don't see how you can make any evaluations from this game.

Agree with that.  The game may have given some players confidence, but otherwise the stats are pretty meaningless.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
I don't see how you can make any evaluations from this game. A complete waste of
time. St. Thomas college in St. Paul can beat that team

Agree Grambling probably not any better than a team from St. Thomas - but the fact remains Dawson and Derrick Wilson played against the same team/level of competition.

I'm not saying Derrick is awful - just saying that he's not the future at PG, nor will he give you any real value add.  Dawson is going to be a player - he's a fluid athlete, sees the floor great, very good form on his jumper - everything you'd want to see in a PG - he has.  Time will bear this out.  Book it.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

Dawson just creates. Derrick does virtually nothing.

I suspect that Buzz, unlike the unsophisticated fan, considers defense in player evaluation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Derek runs the team better right now.   Ergo, he starts right now.   I can't predict if he will be starting all year.  I just know for damn sure I do not want Dawson making his first start against Craft on Saturday.   If Buzz were to make the change now, it would be the dumbest decision he has made in his tenure at MU.   To suggest the change be made now means you simply don't understand basketball. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »
I suspect that Buzz, unlike the unsophisticated fan, considers defense in player evaluation.

But didn't they play against the same defense?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
I think everyone is over estimating the PG abilities of freshman Duane Wilson.  I look for him to provide some scoring punch when he returns but Dawson and Derrick will be running the point.  Remember when everyone was healthy Gardner said Dawson was the best freshman.  Duane may grow into a floor general role but in my mind he's always been a combo.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
But didn't they play against the same defense?

"Defense"- when the other team has the ball and you're trying to stop them from scoring. I know, its a real complicated concept. Basketball is not just played on one side of the court.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
Derek runs the team better right now.   Ergo, he starts right now.   I can't predict if he will be starting all year.  I just know for damn sure I do not want Dawson making his first start against Craft on Saturday.   If Buzz were to make the change now, it would be the dumbest decision he has made in his tenure at MU.   To suggest the change be made now means you simply don't understand basketball. 

I agree that Saturday is not the time to elevate Dawson - hell he may not start all year - but I suspect he'll be playing more minutes than D-Will as the year goes on.  WAY more upside.

I suspect that you'll see Buzz play Dawson more and more minutes as the season goes on.  Only an unsophisticated fan would say Derrick Wilson has more upside at PG than Dawson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »
I agree that Saturday is not the time to elevate Dawson - hell he may not start all year - but I suspect he'll be playing more minutes than D-Will as the year goes on.  WAY more upside.

But didn't you start this thread stating  "Dawson "needs" to be the starting PG". "needs" indicates the present tense. Sounds like somebody is moving goal posts.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
Remember when everyone was healthy Gardner said Dawson was the best freshman.

I thought the consensus was JuJuan Johnson being the best freshman. I think Davante said that at media day.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
"Defense"- when the other team has the ball and you're trying to stop them from scoring. I know, its a real complicated concept. Basketball is not just played on one side of the court.

wow. what a dick. it's totally impossible that someone reads your first post and think that it refers to the defense MU is playing against. that's such a dumb thought. how the hell could anyone be so idiotic to interpret your post in a different way? please please forgive me.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
But didn't you start this thread stating  "Dawson "needs" to be the starting PG". "needs" indicates the present tense. Sounds like somebody is moving goal posts.

Okay self proclaimed "sophisticated" basketball mind - come back and talk sh$t when Dawson takes over the role sooner than later - or even if he doesn't start - watch the minute usage between the two guards...Dawson will begin to get more...and you'll see him on the floor during crunch time...which is saying a lot for a freshman.  Only way he doesn't is if Buzz feels a deep loyalty to the veteran.

Starting a freshman in an environment like what Saturday will be - isn't necessary when you have the vet Derrick who is serviceable....should be telling to see if Buzz gives Dawson minutes against OSU to get a true pulse on how high he is on Dawson...you see even 15 minutes out of Dawson on Saturday - Buzz likes him a lot.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
Near the end of the game, on the radio broadcast, Homer said something like "When Duane Wilson comes back this season...." and then corrected himself to say "IF he comes back this season."  Is this a legitimate concern?  I guess I am not aware of the severity of his injury.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
wow. what a dick. it's totally impossible that someone reads your first post and think that it refers to the defense MU is playing against. that's such a dumb thought. how the hell could anyone be so idiotic to interpret your post in a different way? please please forgive me.

I guess its possible, but such a person would have to be a real moron.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
Near the end of the game, on the radio broadcast, Homer said something like "When Duane Wilson comes back this season...." and then corrected himself to say "IF he comes back this season."  Is this a legitimate concern?  I guess I am not aware of the severity of his injury.
I hope he redshirts.  Junior wasted his freshman year.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
you see even 15 minutes out of Dawson on Saturday - Buzz likes him a lot.

We've now moved from  "Dawson needs to be the starter" to "Buzz likes him a lot".

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
I guess its possible, but such a person would have to be a real moron.

i may have interpreted your first post incorrectly. but i definitely got your second post spot-on.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
Anybody else notice how much more aggressive Burton was than Jamil?  He needs to be starting at the 4.

Also, Todd has unturned the corner that he turned against Southern, and Jake is now a sniper.

Agreed?

See how stupid it looks to make generalizations about players based on a cupcake opponent?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
Anybody else notice how much more aggressive Burton was than Jamil?  He needs to be starting at the 4.

Also, Todd has unturned the corner that he turned against Southern, and Jake is now a sniper.

Agreed?

See how stupid it looks to make generalizations about players based on a cupcake opponent?

The unsophisticated fan tends to overreact.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »
Dawson played very well.  He demonstrated leadership and creativity.  Great passing on the break.  HOWEVER, all he showed is that he's worthy of continuing to get minutes.  he's still a freshman.  If he gets devoured on Saturday the thread will change dramatically. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
Dawson played very well.  He demonstrated leadership and creativity.  Great passing on the break.  HOWEVER, all he showed is that he's worthy of continuing to get minutes.  he's still a freshman.  If he gets devoured on Saturday the thread will change dramatically. 

true lets not put the cart ahead of the horse....

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
I missed the game and came to Scoop to check out what happened and I read about the remarkable offensive display by John Dawson.  So I go to check the box score and what I come to find out that this thread happened because Dawson scored 2 points?  Wow! What an offensive dynamo!  

He was outperformed by Derrick in EVERY OTHER CATEGORY.  

What is going on here?  ::)

Don't get me wrong, I hope John Dawson becomes a reliable player for us but this thread is batsh!t crazy.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
I missed the game

Start up the DVR.  The spot on the carpet is still wet with my drool from Dawson's passing.

feedback