[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thank You MU faithful...Mr. Shumpert, your table is ready  (Read 4190 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Thank You MU faithful...Mr. Shumpert, your table is ready
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:05:55 PM »
I'm sure I speak on behalf of the hundreds of alum that weren't able to make it Saturday, but I wanted to drop a quick thanks to all those in attendance at the Madness festivities. 

Great creativity from the students with the chants, cheers, and signs.  Everything is sounding positive on the Shumpert front, and it was great to have everyone doing there part on Saturday to remove any remaining doubt in Iman's mind.

Thanks also to those who posted the pics and videos (Hilltopper).  I had goosebumps watching the Wade clip (on the 3rd time I saw it)!  Love that man.

Love the energy and excitement surrounding this season.

Is it Thursday yet?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:28:34 PM by Wade for President »

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
Re: Thank You MU faithful...Mr. Shumpert, your table is ready
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
agreed... good job everyone!
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »
You are welcome.  The videos, collectively, have been viewed 1800 times. 

I should have stuck in a commercial, sold ad space.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
If Wade's appearance didn't get Shumpert to commit, then he was never going to commit in the first place. Great showing at the Al by everyone. I truly think we've sealed the deal with this kid. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »
It is safe to say that if we don't get Iman, TC did everything in his power to try and sway him to MU.  (Ie showing up at his at midnight in a stretch limo the first day Coaches were able to talk to recruits, Wade and MM, etc...)

I don't think anyone can argue that TC didn't do all he could.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »
It is safe to say that if we don't get Iman, TC did everything in his power to try and sway him to MU.  (Ie showing up at his at midnight in a stretch limo the first day Coaches were able to talk to recruits, Wade and MM, etc...)

I don't think anyone can argue that TC didn't do all he could.

Somebody will. Just like some people were critical on Crean showing up at his house at midnight.

I hope we land shumpert, but if we don't, be prepared to read some Crean-bashing.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »
there will always be Crean bashing... we could have landed Oden last year and won the national championship and someone would have found something to gripe about... its sad
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:52:27 AM »
Clearly if Crean had landed Oden and won the National Title, and Oden left for the NBA (to be picked #1)...someone would have complained of yet another player leaving MU early.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:21:22 PM »
As someone who is prone to being critical of this regime...there is no way you can bash TC is Iman goes to GT or UNC.  We're competing for a Top 25 kid, there's 321 schools and only 25 of these kids, you're going to lose more than you win.  Plus we have a #35 player coming in and probably another #150.  The last thing Crean critics worry about is overall recruiting.  Iman will not make this program if he comes and will not ruin this program if doesn't.

Hopefully he comes, if not we move on with Nick Williams & Co.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »
Iman will not make this program if he comes and will not ruin this program if doesn't.

He may not make the program, but he can change the level.  Getting one high profile recruit(5 Star All American types) generally gets your foot in the door and leads to getting more high profile recruits.  Guys that never would have considered MU look Shumpert and think maybe it is an option after all.

Most coaches at MU seem to have a recruiting battle that characterizes what direction the program will go or what the program ceiling is.  For Rick Majerus it was losing Joe Wolf to UNC which led to losing Ricky Olson to Wisconsin etc..  For Hank Raymonds it was losing Scooter McCray to Louisville which led to not getting Rodney McCray.  Heck for Mike Deane it was losing LeDaryl Billingsley to Tulane which may have led to losing Gary Buchanan to Villanova.

Shumpert may be that recruit for Crean, the guy that can change the perception of Marquette in the recruiting world.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »
bma725 -- Great points and comparison. As a long-time MU fan, those examples of lost recruiting battles are what "could have been." TC has insulated the program with other possible recruits, but Iman could be a real differance maker, as you say.
I'm in a "hope for the best, expect the worst" mode right now. I tried to get a "read" on the young man at MM, and he seemed very engaged the whole time. Other than that, his public comments leave only speculation. I want to know his decision and I don't at the same time, if that makes sense!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 03:22:43 PM »
Shumpert may be that recruit for Crean, the guy that can change the perception of Marquette in the recruiting world.

Maybe.
Then again, there were those who believed Brian Butch was that recruit.
Then Bobby Frasor was that recruit.

I don't think MU's/Tom Crean's fortunes rest on one recruit, especially at this stage in his tenure. Would a commitment from Shumpert raise MU's profile in recruiting circles? Perhaps. But not to a large degree. This isn't the first time Marquette has been a finalist for a highly sought kid. And a Shumpert commitment to UNC or GT won't be a program-defining moment for MU.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:24:41 PM by Pakuni »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »

Maybe.

I don't think MU's/Tom Crean's fortunes rest on one recruit, especially at this stage in his tenure. Would a commitment from Shumpert raise MU's profile in recruiting circles? Perhaps. But not to a large degree. This isn't the first time Marquette has been a finalist for a highly sought kid. And a Shumpert commitment to UNC or GT won't be a program-defining moment for MU.

I think that's the point...if we had landed Butch would we have landed Frasor?  It's got to start somewhere rather than continue to be one of the finalists for all these high level recruits.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »

I think that's the point...if we had landed Butch would we have landed Frasor?  It's got to start somewhere rather than continue to be one of the finalists for all these high level recruits.

I don't think one necessarily leads to the other. How many McDonald's AAs has UW landed since Butch? How many have flocked to Notre Dame because of Luke Zeller or Auburn because of Korvotney Barber?
Landing Shumpert certainly won't hurt MU recruiting efforts with other players, but I don't think it's going to open up the floodgates for elite players either.

Speaking of McDonald's AAs ... next year's game is at the BC. It would be pretty cool to have a Marquette commit on the team (it's your destiny, Iman).

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »

Maybe.

It isn't just being a finalist that I'm talking about, it's about how hard Crean has gone after Shumpert.  Showing up at 12:01 the first day coaches are allowed in home visits, bringing Dwyane Wade to Midnight Madness etc.  With Butch and Frasor, MU was involved but never did that kind of thing.  Heck with Butch, MU was in, then it seemed like the interest faded, and then there was a late push that didn't really work.  Shumpert has been priority #1 for quite awhile.

feedback