Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is/should be our top big man target?  (Read 1359 times)

drewm88

• All American
Who is/should be our top big man target?
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »
Obviously, we're going to need frontline help. With Ben-Eze off the board, any guesses or insight who becomes our top target? Thomas? Sutton? Stutz?

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
Re: Who is/should be our top big man target?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:04:13 AM »
from what ive heard and seen from other people i would say stutz would be our best option... or atleast the one i would choose FWIW... but i dont know very much... thats why im here on a message board   :D
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

bma725

• All American
Re: Who is/should be our top big man target?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:04:19 AM »
Thomas as in Quintrell Thomas?  We didn't make his final four.  He's down to kansas, UNLV, Rutgers and Maryland.

Sticking only with centers(meaning ignoring Dwight Miller) the top two right now would seem to be Stutz and Chris Otule, who appear to be somewhat similar in terms of development but have different strengths.  Stutz has better range and touch, but isn't at this point a true back to the basket guy.  Otule is more physical offensively, but doesn't have Stutz's range.  Stutz has a higher basketball IQ, but Otule is a better defender and rebounder.  Both of them still have a lot of development to do. The thing to remember with both of them is that they are guys that are still getting used to their height.  Otule has grown 7 inches in one year and Stutz has grown almost a foot since his freshman year and 5 inches in the last year.  It takes awhile to get adjusted to that.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Otule.  I know post offense has been a problem, and Stutz may have more offensive game right now. But Otule seems like a physical defender and rebounder that we haven't had in a long time, the kind of physical presence that can intimidate another team when they try to come inside....which was always a hallmark of great MU teams in the past.