collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WVU struggling  (Read 4908 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: WVU struggling
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:13:01 PM »
You're right. A 10% uptick is an outrageous assumption. If my private equity funds performed that poorly I would be upset, too.

Oh, wait, you thought 10% was too high?? I guess if you are into munis your expectations are different.

I will ignore your daily brag-point to say that I did some look into the NACUBO Endowment returns and 10% is indeed a reasonable assumption.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: WVU struggling
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

I will ignore your daily brag-point to say that I did some look into the NACUBO Endowment returns and 10% is indeed a reasonable assumption.

I looked up the performance of the Harvard Management Company and the $32.7 billion Harvard Endowment has enjoyed an average annual return of 16% over the past 30 years. HMC performance for the past year was 11.3% and 11% for the past 3 years. Distributions from The Endowment provides more than a third of the University's operating budget, including creative financial aid solutions and leading edge research and educational initiatives.

Michigan's $8.8 billion University Endowment has delivered an average annual return of 16% over the past 30 years. The one year increase was 24.8% and 14.2% for the past 3 years.

It is important to note that 50% of Michigan's University Endowment is in illiquid alternative assets while 38% of Harvard's portfolio is thusly invested. Both Endowments use these hedges to provide intergenerational equity. Think how much better the return if either could have been more fully invested in equities.

Death on call