Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 Years, 28 Weeks Today...  (Read 12763 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 5 Years, 28 Weeks Today...
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
Yes, humor is often lost on the elderly, as it was that day.  That's ok.  I'm actually fairly close to going into the non-profit world and I'm looking forward to it immensely if it all works out.  I don't wish to die a young man as my father did and am fortunate to be taking steps to avoid that.  I'd like to be around for my wife and children, if you know what I mean.

If you are unqualified for the MU job, you wouldn't get to sweep the floors for the IU job.  Football, owned facilities, having to deal with the state gov't....tougher gig.  I think you know that.

Have a great evening.

I guess humor is also lost on the middle aged too.

I bet I could get that push broom job at IU, though. I swept the floors at Northwestern games as a kid. Also, my widowed Grandmother worked in food services at IU for 30 years after her husband died and my parents are both IU graduates. I'm a legacy!

You have a nice night, too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
I guess humor is also lost on the middle aged too.

I bet I could get that push broom job at IU, though. I swept the floors at Northwestern games as a kid. Also, my widowed Grandmother worked in food services at IU for 30 years after her husband died and my parents are both IU graduates. I'm a legacy!

You have a nice night, too.

Consider who the exchange was with....ners.  No need to say more.  As you mentioned earlier today, it's been a long time since you read something laughed out loud.  I am not surprised.

I have no doubt you could push the hell out of a broom.  Personally, I get the notion you would excel in wax on, wax off or vacuum activities. 

Life is too short.  Enjoy the day.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
5 years ago 28 weeks ago today since we practiced free throws is what popped into my head.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
Yes, humor is often lost on the elderly, as it was that day.  That's ok.  I'm actually fairly close to going into the non-profit world and I'm looking forward to it immensely if it all works out.  I don't wish to die a young man as my father did and am fortunate to be taking steps to avoid that.  I'd like to be around for my wife and children, if you know what I mean.

If you are unqualified for the MU job, you wouldn't get to sweep the floors for the IU job.  Football, owned facilities, having to deal with the state gov't....tougher gig.  I think you know that.

Have a great evening.

I wouldn't brag too much about that program man. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »
IU job...having to deal with the state gov't...

How tough is that, though? Just say the largest $ contract with an employee you have has different terms than it really does. Everyone gobbles it up and you're sitting pretty.

Have a horrible football program with little expectation or desire to improve.

Basketball program sells itself (I4).

Pretty nice job.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:13 AM »
How tough is that, though? Just say the largest $ contract with an employee you have has different terms than it really does. Everyone gobbles it up and you're sitting pretty.

Have a horrible football program with little expectation or desire to improve.

Basketball program sells itself (I4).

Pretty nice job.

I heard somewhere they have a great sports medicine program too. Unfortunately it is not in Bloomington.

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: 6 years, 3 months, 8 days ago
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
Wasn't against the Crean hire at all.  Of the candidates, he was a strong hire.  I got to live through it as I was in the department when it all happened.  Was I thrilled Deane got let go... no.  He was a friend, treated me well, etc.  Never like to see someone let go.  

Just going to point out that personnel decisions never should be based if you like someone personally - not at the level of Head Coach at a high major university or even mid-major for that matter at the time of the Deane fire.

It was evident to all of us close to the program at that time - Deane was a disaster.  Lots of fun to drink with, but you saw the recruiting totally and completely deteriorate and the writing was on the wall.  So, you basically had an adulterous, alcoholic coach at MU. Given your moral high horse you ride on frequently, I'm shocked you would like someone of that character.  Anyone with a shred of foresight could see the train wreck was coming...thank God Cords did.  Just as anyone with a degree of foresight could see Buzz was the real deal after just 1-2 years on the job - no need to wait 5.

Thank God you stayed corporate and never pursued an AD job, as it would have been short lived!

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
Just going to point out that personnel decisions never should be based if you like someone personally - not at the level of Head Coach at a high major university or even mid-major for that matter at the time of the Deane fire.

It was evident to all of us close to the program at that time - Deane was a disaster.  Lots of fun to drink with, but you saw the recruiting totally and completely deteriorate and the writing was on the wall.  So, you basically had an adulterous, alcoholic coach at MU. Given your moral high horse you ride on frequently, I'm shocked you would like someone of that character.  Anyone with a shred of foresight could see the train wreck was coming...thank God Cords did.  Just as anyone with a degree of foresight could see Buzz was the real deal after just 1-2 years on the job - no need to wait 5.

Thank God you stayed corporate and never pursued an AD job, as it would have been short lived!

Ners...I think all Chicos is saying that Deanne was a good guy and he liked him.  He doesn't say that he shouldn't have been let go.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
I think he means that the season prior to Crean MU didn't even make the NIT.

I believe a certain fan who now goes by the name Chico's vehemently argued against Deane's firing (and didn't like the Crean hire) on the old old MU basketball board.

Ners...I think all Chicos is saying that Deanne was a good guy and he liked him.  He doesn't say that he shouldn't have been let go.

Sultan - Was referring to the above quote from Pakuni...yet ultimately we all know Chicos will do a 180 and try to talk his way out another asinine position/viewpoint.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
Wasn't against the Crean hire at all.  Of the candidates, he was a strong hire.  I got to live through it as I was in the department when it all happened.  Was I thrilled Deane got let go... no.  He was a friend, treated me well, etc.  Never like to see someone let go.

Never?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2013, 02:41:57 PM »
If I had a dollar for every time a scooper went out of their way to provoke Chicos....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
If I had a dollar for every time a scooper went out of their way to provoke Chicos....

In the last day or two Chicos has gone after me and others for allegedly using words like "never" or "always". Didn't bite on that provocation, just pointing out what he would call hypocrisy and irony. Helps to know your history.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
you basically had an adulterous, alcoholic coach at Marquette

Was the Marquette coach an airline pilot?

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
Was the Marquette coach an airline pilot?

Well played Keefe!  Learned a funny thing from Deane in one of his many bender nights after games - he and mistress used coffee as their code word for taking off and getting it on...True story.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »
Starbucks will never be the same.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2013, 01:22:24 AM »
You think this board has an obsession with Crean and his quirkiness...

Look at this epic thread about Crean and Banners: http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=192701178&sid=942&tid=192701178&style=1
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »

Look at this epic thread about Crean and Banners: http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=192701178&sid=942&tid=192701178&style=1
Why does Chicos call himself "Indiana Scott?"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Why does Chicos call himself "Indiana Scott?"

Sorry, u is wrong

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
I'm betting "UFO33" is none other than Joanie Crean Harbaugh

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »

love this post there

= Helm's Banner. Period, the end. And we're not "back" until we hang another REAL one. Instead of a banner with accompanying needed explanation. ie Excuses. That is the bar set by previous coaches, fair or not. That is the goal of this program, fair or not. That is the line of success.

If a person sets three goals for a year and only meets one of them and then fails drastically in the most important.  I don't think overly celebrating the success without it being tempered by the failure is a correct representation or action, and I surely don't believe in hanging a remembrance to that year. It's a silly dog and pony show meant to generate hype. It's cheap PR, something a car salesman is expected to do and it lessens the banners that hang next to it.

83? That was an exception that many disagreed with, but when a coach wins 3 (2 at the time) REAL banners, we can give him the honor of his sentimentality. When you lose a game, you don't cut nets, and, when you are a number one seed and don't reach the Final Four, you don't hang a banner. Everytime I look at that thing, I first smile because it's nice that we won it, really it is, then I think of Syracuse and sigh, deeply. I will forever look at that banner and think of Syracuse. Maybe they should hang it in their place as a prize of battle.

feedback