Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PT Feature] Wilson transforming into trusted leader  (Read 4372 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
[PT Feature] Wilson transforming into trusted leader
« on: October 12, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
The Derrick version, that is:

bit.ly/19tCIph

wadesworld

• All American
Re: [PT Feature] Wilson transforming into trusted leader
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »
The Derrick version, that is:

bit.ly/19tCIph

Love me some Derrick Wilson.  Have said it for quite some time.  No way Duane starts over Derrick.  Derrick knew his role was to play defense and not turn the ball over the past 2 years.  He played that role.  Now his role has changed and we'll see a different Derrick Wilson offensively.  I expect 5-6 points per game, 4-5 assists per game, and 3-4 rebounds per game.  Won't be quite as effective offensively as Cadougan, but will be much better than people have opined that he will be.

Also, not sure why, but I feel like I'm going to be a Dawson fan.  So much so that I could see Duane playing more off of the ball because Dawson sees some of the minutes we thought Duane would see at the point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »
Love me some Derrick Wilson.  Have said it for quite some time.  No way Duane starts over Derrick.  Derrick knew his role was to play defense and not turn the ball over the past 2 years.  He played that role.  Now his role has changed and we'll see a different Derrick Wilson offensively.  I expect 5-6 points per game, 4-5 assists per game, and 3-4 rebounds per game.  Won't be quite as effective offensively as Cadougan, but will be much better than people have opined that he will be.

Also, not sure why, but I feel like I'm going to be a Dawson fan.  So much so that I could see Duane playing more off of the ball because Dawson sees some of the minutes we thought Duane would see at the point.

Let's not forget that as a sophomore and junior, Cadougan also wasn't that effective offensively. He was a career 21.7% three point shooter and his most efficient season offensively was last year when he had a pedestrian 96.1 ORtg.

For the better part of three years, we've gone to two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 with at best average offensive output from the point (including Buycks' senior season) and at worst pretty darn poor offensive output. Now people are panicking because Derrick hasn't lit up scoreboards in the past? So? This should be something we're used to by now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
Let's not forget that as a sophomore and junior, Cadougan also wasn't that effective offensively. He was a career 21.7% three point shooter and his most efficient season offensively was last year when he had a pedestrian 96.1 ORtg.

For the better part of three years, we've gone to two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 with at best average offensive output from the point (including Buycks' senior season) and at worst pretty darn poor offensive output. Now people are panicking because Derrick hasn't lit up scoreboards in the past? So? This should be something we're used to by now.

Ehh to me a point guard's effectiveness is more than his shooting percentage and scoring ability.  Cadougan got the offense flowing whereas Derrick just didn't turn the ball over but at times we as a team struggled on the offensive end when Cadougan was out of the game, despite Cadougan not necessarily being the guy to put the ball in the basket.  This year I would expect Wilson to get the offense flowing a lot better than he has in the past, regardless of whether he is putting up points or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »
I had less problem with Junior not scoring or shooting from the outside because by driving he created opportunities for others by drawing the defense.  Derrick has yet to show he is a threat to go to the rim.  If you aren't a threat to shoot or a threat get to the rim you don't put much pressure on the other team's defense and its going to be a lot tougher for Ox and the rest of the guys to get easy baskets.  There is only so much you can get out of swinging it around the perimeter and static entry passes.  I want to believe Derrick can do it because I'd be much more comfortable with a college Junior running the point but Derrick has got to do a lot more than the did last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
There is only so much you can get out of swinging it around the perimeter and static entry passes.  

Ummm, there's a guy on the phone who claims to be some 'Bo Ryan' guy who says he has a bone to pick with you. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
We will all be pleasantly surprised at how well Derrick runs the offense this year.  Book it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
PT Feature Wilson trans...

I can't explain how much this preview headline scared me.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
Ehh to me a point guard's effectiveness is more than his shooting percentage and scoring ability.  Cadougan got the offense flowing whereas Derrick just didn't turn the ball over but at times we as a team struggled on the offensive end when Cadougan was out of the game, despite Cadougan not necessarily being the guy to put the ball in the basket.  This year I would expect Wilson to get the offense flowing a lot better than he has in the past, regardless of whether he is putting up points or not.

I agree with you regarding Derrick's progression.  I will also add that while Junior was good at getting the offense rolling, he was at best an average defender.  Quicker guards like Peyton Siva had their way with him.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got scared by it.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
i hope i'm wrong, but i've been one all along who has said derrick's ceiling seems to be where junior left off.  i think he starts this year, but i hope we have a better option by march, and surely by this time next year.  my concerns - poor free-throw shooter, poor 3pt shooter, poor height (can he guard bigger guards, and can he finish), high foul per min. (without data to back that concern up), poor shooting % (lesser concern), low assist total.  upside - nice assist to turnover ratio.  if he can hit an open shot (keep his guy honest), stay out of foul trouble, make free-throws (especially at the end of the game when the ball needs to be in his hands) i think he'll be serviceable and solid.  that said, i don't ever see him being the type of player that other teams need to prepare and worry about...his ability to put pressure on defenses seems very limited to me.  marquette may not need that from its pg (which someone else stated), but we've looked back at FF and championship teams over the last 10 years, and great pg's are more often than not present.  all of that said, he seems like a great student-athlete.  was at madness and noticed he wasn't dancing around try to be funny/cool or get the attention put on him...just seems like a really nice kid and good representative of MU.  probably my favorite player on the team as far as demeanor goes. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:53:14 AM by avid1010 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »

Trap headlines to grab your attention.  Like the Yahoo news story I read a few weeks ago about the "Most Bankable Actresses"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
  I expect 5-6 points per game, 4-5 assists per game, and 3-4 rebounds per game. 

I Would be absolutely amazed and thrilled if DeWill has this stat line. Time will tell.

I would like to see him not giving a head fake under the basket only to have the shot swatted by any and all.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
Ummm, there's a guy on the phone who claims to be some 'Bo Ryan' guy who says he has a bone to pick with you. 

That guy on the phone recruits a bunch of guys who are primarily there to shoot 3s and even then he plays most of his games in the 40s.   As Buzz would say "we're not built that way".  Might work for some but it won't work for us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »
I agree.    However, as much as I loathe Wiscy, Bo has had a nice career throwing static passes to the post. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »

Well put. In MU's program, the PG runs the offense. Sometimes that requires more shooting, other times it requires less. Junior ran the offense reasonably well last year but you could really see the gears grinding when De. Wilson subbed in. I'd love to see him figure it out this year - it would be great to have a 2-headed monster at two different positions (C with Oxtule and PG with the Wilson boys).

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Lets not forget that a few times last year Wilson demonstrated amazing "blow-by" speed on the dribble drive.  Cadougan didn't really have that.  Yes, he needs to make the layup, but he brings an athleticism to PG that will be most welcome.  If buzz can just teach him not to hand-check, he'll be fine for 25-30 mins/game can get 5pts and 4 assists per.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback