collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: This was predicted months ago  (Read 2937 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
This was predicted months ago
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
Re: This was predicted months ago
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:21 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/sports/basketball/jason-collins-openly-gay-and-still-unsigned-waits-and-wonders.html?hp&_r=0

It can't be as simple as he isn't good anymore, always another reason.   ::)

Hey! We agree! If he was good enough, he'd be signed. Although he had a down year, look at Robbie rogers

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
He is old and washed up.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »
The fact of the matter is that Jason Collins is 34-years-old and over the past 4 seasons, he's played 141 games (~35/season) and averaged 10 min, 1.4 points, 1.6 boards and shot 41% from the floor. His total number of win shares over that time is 1.0 and his PER is 4.0.

To put that into perspective, here are some PER and win share numbers during that time for some other centers who were FAs this summer.

Jason Collins: 4.0 PER, 1.0 WS
Nazr Mohammed: 15.0 PER, 8.7 WS
DeSagana Diop: 10.1 PER, 8.3 WS
Dan Gadzuric: 9.9 PER, 0.6 WS (did not play last season)
Aaron Gray: 11.3 PER, 4.0 WS
Johan Petro: 10.3 PER, 2.3 WS
Joel Przybilla: 8.0 PER, 2.2 WS

That's not exactly a who's who of NBA centers yet Collins has been far less productive than any of them, plus he's older than almost all of them. Regardless of his sexual orientation, it would have been difficult for Collins to land on a team this offseason, especially when you consider that a team would have to play him $1.4M to sit on the end of the bench.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:02:32 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
Should we expect some colorful protests outside of NBA arenas? This is a great opportunity for slacktivists. Rage online and then get dressed up with your friends and yell at the greedy bigots going to the games.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
Should we expect some colorful protests outside of NBA arenas? This is a great opportunity for slacktivists. Rage online and then get dressed up with your friends and yell at the greedy bigots going to the games.

The fact that none of this has happened flies directly in the face of your point.  Most people know that Jason Collins isn't playing because he isn't good, not because he is a homosexual.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
How's this for a laughable line:

“In my mind it shouldn’t be about that,” he said, referring to minimizing costs. “The N.B.A. is for the best players, not for the most affordable players. There isn’t a professional athlete that doesn’t want to play 12, 13 years. What I did when I was younger was look up to the guys like Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning who played over a decade. What did they do to last that long?"

Uh....play basketball better than you?  Just throwing that out there.

But the article paint a pretty clear picture that Collins isn't all that good and, because of veterans minimums and luxury tax thresholds, is replaceable.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
The fact that none of this has happened flies directly in the face of your point.  Most people know that Jason Collins isn't playing because he isn't good, not because he is a homosexual.

You sure about that.....it is being used as an excuse already, as was the prediction.  You may not see protests outside arenas, but are people getting ginned up and outraged by it.  Happy to provide lots of links.   The outrage business is on full tilt right now, there is money to be made.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
You sure about that.....it is being used as an excuse already, as was the prediction.  You may not see protests outside arenas, but are people getting ginned up and outraged by it.  Happy to provide lots of links.   The outrage business is on full tilt right now, there is money to be made.

How many people are truly outraged by this?  Just remember, a few people with a blog doesn't constitute large scale outrage.

Honestly, you are more outraged about the supposed outrage than anything else.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

How many people are truly outraged by this?  Just remember, a few people with a blog doesn't constitute large scale outrage.

Exactly.  Its Chico's narrative that there are crazy liberals who will protest everything, there is no more racism, science holds no basis.  Of course, he has a ton of anecdotal evidence to back up all of his theories.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »

Chico's usual self-serving stuff. He reminds me of Dick Cheney leaking info to the NY Times and then backing up his argument by saying "Even the NY Times said it". And we just need to accept that anecdotal evidence is so much more compelling than the real thing.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
If Collins ever plays again, he should change his number. That narrative is dead.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/14/The-Matthew-Shepard-Story-is-a-Lie

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »

You're speaking nonsense. I asked a question.

Nonetheless, let's see what happens.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »

Normal people (of any political persuasion) aren't "outraged" in the least. Only the wing nuts. And you being outraged by their outrage makes you a wing nut too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me (or particularly bother me). Nuts will be nuts.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

I could see there being protests if a team signs him for camp but then releases him before the start of the season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Normal people (of any political persuasion) aren't "outraged" in the least. Only the wing nuts. And you being outraged by their outrage makes you a wing nut too.

I'm not outraged, I find it funny....and predictable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
I'm not outraged, I find it funny....and predictable.

What do you find funny and predictable?  Where is the outrage about Collins' not getting an NBA invite?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
Chico's usual self-serving stuff. He reminds me of Dick Cheney leaking info to the NY Times and then backing up his argument by saying "Even the NY Times said it". And we just need to accept that anecdotal evidence is so much more compelling than the real thing.

LOL.  Sounds like the current guy on the throne.  "See, even the AMA supports it".  Good Lord.

Ironic on your last line, that's exactly what we have been saying about the Redskins.   Should we just accept the anecdotal evidence of a few outraged folks vs the actual population (you know, the REAL THING).  LOL. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
Exactly.  Its Chico's narrative that there are crazy liberals who will protest everything, there is no more racism, science holds no basis.  Of course, he has a ton of anecdotal evidence to back up all of his theories.

Science holds no basis?  Hmm, my dad was a scientist....Geophysicist and geologist. He was smart enough to educate his family that science is never settled (always evolving) and science can become junk when politics and money drive outcomes and not the actual science.  But science holds no basis...LOL.  How much shyte do you make up in a day about me Hards, it seems never ending.   I said there is no racism...wrong.   Never ever said that.   Sure, some crazy people will protest stuff, but I wouldn't group them into liberal or conservatives.  Crazy is is crazy does.  Nuts all over the place. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Bingo.

I don't hear or read the amount of "liberal outrage" that Chico's does. It's nonsense. I don't read it. It's junk. Doesn't mean anything.

feedback