Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension  (Read 42524 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
If you get busted in dorm room three times with drugs and/or alcohol three times while at MU, you are kicked out permanently. Regardless if you are participating or not.

Being a current student here thats just not true at all...Secondly im in the "keep Malek around" camp. Hes a 17 year old male. 17 year old males make mistakes and it sounds like this really isnt that bad of an issue.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 02:05:39 PM »
If you get busted in dorm room three times with drugs and/or alcohol three times while at MU, you are kicked out permanently. Regardless if you are participating or not.
Don't know about drugs, but up to two years ago if you got busted three times for alcohol you only got kicked out of the dorm.
Goal is National Championship

brandx

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »

This is one instance where privacy laws can cut the wrong way, and if Buzz does allow the kid to enroll, I hope they will somehow make public the reasoning so fans can form intelligent opinions about whether that will harm the program's reputation.

Like that would ever be possible - when many of the fans here have already formed their "intelligent position".

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »
What happened about caring for the whole person?  We are so quick to cut bait on a kid that may or may not have had a lapse in judgement that may or may not have involved being around drugs or alcohol.  Personally, if the kid has some issues to straighten out I can't imagine a better program or coach than Buzz and MU.  Buzz and Larry will do the right thing and until than this is all just a giant circle jerk for you guys.

A few weeks ago, Gerry DiNardo was on The Score discussing the disciplining of college athletes. His overall stance was that it's very easy for outsiders to say that players who get into trouble should simply be kicked off the team and out of school. However, when he was coaching at LSU he'd recruit kids from "the poorest of the poor" neighborhoods in the country and he knew that football was their only chance to not only escape that neighborhood, but to bring their family out of that neighborhood and to provide a better life for the next generations of his family. That doesn't necessarily mean making millions playing in the NFL, but it means having a chance to earn a college degree and to make an honest living as a teacher or a coach or a doctor or a businessman or whatever. Many fans don't really take into consideration that college athletes often don't have a stable support system at home and many had up-bringings that we couldn't even begin to understand. If a 20-year-old from a troubled family gets into a fight or gets caught with weed and is subsequently thrown out of school, what happens to him then?

Admittedly, I don't know anything about Malek Harris' homelife and I'm not saying that this applies to him in any way. I'm just pointing out that there's more to consider than just giving someone the boot for getting into trouble.  

brandx

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
What happened about caring for the whole person?  We are so quick to cut bait on a kid that may or may not have had a lapse in judgement that may or may not have involved being around drugs or alcohol.  Personally, if the kid has some issues to straighten out I can't imagine a better program or coach than Buzz and MU.  Buzz and Larry will do the right thing and until than this is all just a giant circle jerk for you guys.

+1000

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
What happened about caring for the whole person?  We are so quick to cut bait on a kid that may or may not have had a lapse in judgement that may or may not have involved being around drugs or alcohol.  Personally, if the kid has some issues to straighten out I can't imagine a better program or coach than Buzz and MU.  Buzz and Larry will do the right thing and until than this is all just a giant circle jerk for you guys.

Let me just play devil's advocate here.  Actions have consequences and playing NCAA basketball is a privilege.  Telling a kid that they can't play basketball here, at least for a short while, doesn't show a lack of caring for the whole person.  It is the consequence for the action.  That doesn't mean that Buzz should just drop him, but try to help him.  Recommend a Juco, or a prep school, for next year.  If that's not an option that Malek wants to take, help find him another home that will. 

(BTW, I really don't know enough to have an opinion...I trust that Buzz will do what is best.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
I trust Buzz.    And personally, I am not qualified to throw the first stone.    So, good luck, Malek.    Take this as an opportunity to learn and grow.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »
Hey PTM, I did a bump of smack in your living last night while you were asleep.

Strike 1

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »

Strike 1

I don't think you can do a bump of smack. You're either chasing the dragon or you're straight.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I trust Buzz.    And personally, I am not qualified to throw the first stone.    So, good luck, Malek.    Take this as an opportunity to learn and grow.   

I am here^ right now regarding this issue.
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

Strike 1

Ah Yes, Frank Dreben--and who can forget Nordberg?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
Duke and Bama have shown if you get really good, you can cheat and not get prosecuted.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/former-duke-basketball-player-lance-thomas-settles-jewelry-lawsuit

So do not assign them the moral high ground because they can get away with it.

Not aware of any evidence that Duke cheats. If you can throw that out there, then you can also throw out that MU cheats. Not aware that either school has a rep for cheating.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »

This. Plus whatever happened to the virtue of forgiveness? Everyone is so quick to judge, condemn, etc., someone for life.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

Agreed. That consequence is being suspended for his entire senior season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

Exactly.  Especially when said actions are not known, and we as anonymous internet basketball fanboys have absolutely no say in delivering out said consequences.

+1 for caps too man, really hammered home your point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
Exactly.  Especially when said actions are not known, and we as anonymous internet basketball fanboys have absolutely no say in delivering out said consequences.

+1 for caps too man, really hammered home your point.

But our own students heard from the brother of one of his party friends that he set a chick's hair on fire!  CONSEQUENCES!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
Do we know for sure that said hair was on the chick's head?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »

Good question.  Guess we'll have to go to the video he recorded of it.  Which in and of itself answers the question, doesn't it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
I mean we could be talkin' a whole new ballgame here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »

4ever = ZFB?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
Don't know about drugs, but up to two years ago if you got busted three times for alcohol you only got kicked out of the dorm.

I meant kicked out of the dorm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
Being a current student here thats just not true at all...Secondly im in the "keep Malek around" camp. Hes a 17 year old male. 17 year old males make mistakes and it sounds like this really isnt that bad of an issue.

Open up your student handbook, three times and you are out of the dorms.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

Strike 1

Ask TallTitan about getting punished for just being around.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Not aware of any evidence that Duke cheats. If you can throw that out there, then you can also throw out that MU cheats. Not aware that either school has a rep for cheating.

Read the freaking link I included again.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/former-duke-basketball-player-lance-thomas-settles-jewelry-lawsuit

“We have reached a settlement,” Mike Bowers, the attorney for Rafaello & Co. wrote in an email. “I cannot make further comment."

Thomas purchased $97,800 worth of custom jewelry on Dec. 21, 2009, while the team was on winter break in the middle of his senior year. He made a $30,000 down payment and signed a purchase agreement that said he would pay the remaining $67,800 within 15 days.

Rafaello & Co. filed a lawsuit in January after repeated attempts to collect payment. Bowers confirmed to the News & Observer last week that his client had declined to speak with the NCAA about a possible extra benefits investigation.

-----

This event should have made Thomas ineligible for the season.  The fact that he played, and Duke won the national Championship should have voided all those games. 

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/1/3440196/lance-thomas-duke-lawsuit-ncaa-punishment

In the end the NCAA did nothing so Duke wins

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22170661/ncaa-duke-faces-no-punishment-in-lance-thomas-jewelry-case

And Duke also did not get punished in the Corey Magette situation (you can Google that).

So let's be clear with our words. 

"Duke has never been caught doing wrong" is an accurate statement. 

Do not confuse it with "Duke does no wrong."