'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Malek Harris suspended for the season  (Read 59237 times)

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

jonny09

• Team Captain
Re: Malek Harris suspended for the season
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
Yikes.....Sounds like he has had character issues previous to this.  This had to have been on Buzz's radar.  Not sure what happens from here, but not good at all

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »
Well, I guess Buzz won't be oversigning then...

MUFan42

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Not a good development. I wouldn't pull the scholarship yet, but if I was buzz at madness I'd want to have a long sit down. If Harris is planning on making the trip. The troubling part is that it is second year in a row.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Character revealed?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
Make him wait until spring to sign.  Find a new school to play the season, have no issues in the classroom or with the team there first.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Well, I guess Buzz won't be oversigning then...

Not necessarily. Depends on the severity. This being the second suspension doesn't look good, but if it's for getting caught drinking at a party or smoking weed, this is not the end.

Herm Edwards used to say you can have some character-problem guys, but not too many. 5 was the max for football he'd say, because you'd have to have a guy or two who's job would be to look out for him and keep him on a straight line. No program is a team full of angels.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
Not necessarily. Depends on the severity. This being the second suspension doesn't look good, but if it's for getting caught drinking at a party or smoking weed, this is not the end.

Herm Edwards used to say you can have some character-problem guys, but not too many. 5 was the max for football he'd say, because you'd have to have a guy or two who's job would be to look out for him and keep him on a straight line. No program is a team full of angels.

I'd prefer Buzz and MU not take this approach when recruiting.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »
Some folks just know how to f uck up prosperity. Look for Buzz and Larry to reallocate his schollie.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
No program is a team full of angels.

I beg to differ

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
I'd prefer Buzz and MU not take this approach when recruiting.

I'd prefer not making life-changing decisions on people I don't know. No (good) team is full of a bunch of boy scouts.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
I dont think you pull the plug yet. My dad coaches High School basketball for a pretty successful program in Illinois and this happens all the time. It could be something as small as grades or more severe violations but dont expect to find out what happened. Its always hushed up.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
Some folks just know how to f uck up prosperity. Look for Buzz and Larry to reallocate his schollie.

I would agree. Improper behavior must have consequences; and might be the only way for this kid to straighten up.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
Christ guys, cut the kid some slack. Hes a 17 year old KID. People make mistakes. I dont see how it hurts keeping him around. Youre not going to find a more talented player this late in the recruiting game hopefully he can learn from whatever mistake he made.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
I dont think you pull the plug yet. My dad coaches High School basketball for a pretty successful program in Illinois and this happens all the time. It could be something as small as grades or more severe violations but dont expect to find out what happened. Its always hushed up.

Grades are no small matter. In fact they should be a primary factor that matters.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
Grades are no small matter. In fact they should be a primary factor that matters.

I mean, if its grades (I dont think it is its probably a 3rd strike kind of thing) you know MU has tutors for all of these kids and so much help for them.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
I would say give the guy a chance, but there have been recent past problems at MU, so I think his misbehavior combined with the prior misbehaviors at MU results in Harris not getting a scholarship at MU.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
Maybe his school is different but when I was at Racine Horlick, it would have to be something pretty severe to get suspended the whole season. This seems like a long suspension for weed, party or small grade problem

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
The story says he has been suspended for the season "according to multiple sources."  So nothing official.

Would anyone be surprised if that "season long" suspension ends around thanksgiving?  If so, then the school will say the Sun-Times had it wrong and move on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:57:10 PM by AnotherMU84 »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »
Amazing how people can make a judgement without knowing the facts.

Buzz will talk to the kid and his coach and decide if Malek should be given another chance .....

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
Christ guys, cut the kid some slack. Hes a 17 year old KID. People make mistakes. I dont see how it hurts keeping him around. Youre not going to find a more talented player this late in the recruiting game hopefully he can learn from whatever mistake he made.

meh..theres a lot of talent out there that dont get suspended for their senior year of HS...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
Maybe his school is different but when I was at Racine Horlick, it would have to be something pretty severe to get suspended the whole season. This seems like a long suspension for weed, party or small grade problem

Partys and even just posession drugs are actually pretty severe for the IHSA and team policy.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
But wait..but wait..This is the guy Buzz wanted.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
But wait..but wait..This is the guy Buzz wanted.

You're a complete f*cking moron
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter