[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is Satchel Pierce?  (Read 97724 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Who is Satchel Pierce?
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
Diamond's gonna need someone to bang with in practice.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
Pierce or Miller?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
Diamond's gonna need someone to bang with in practice.

Nah, we got Halloween parties for that.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
I don't know why everybody is so "Oh he's not rated high enough."  Didn't he go to a top 100 as a sophomore?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 07:42:18 AM »
Like Todd two years ago, he'll already by 19 when he gets on whatever campus he attends and turn 20 during the season. The extra year should make him a bit more prepared for action than the typical freshman, which is good since we'll need a center.

I was struggling with why Buzz and staff seemed to cool on Lammers, but pursue the guy ranked just after him. Well I think this part of the article sums up why Satchel's an OKG (and of course, rankings alone don't drive recruiting):

“Every time I'd teach him a move, within five minutes he'd get it. Then you'd see him that night, using it in a game,” Freedman said. “The kid's got a lot of work to do still — he's not a finished product — but he will be ready to play next year.”

The turning point, however, came when Pierce was invited to the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp this past June.

Pierce performed well, but was told he had commitment issues when it came to his conditioning.

Since then, Pierce has been awaking at 5:30 a.m. for three-a-day workouts. He lifts weights, does team conditioning and plays pick-up games after school.

“It made me realize the amount of work that I needed to put in if I wanted to get better and be the best I can be,” Pierce said. “I had to put more dedication to it.”

raul

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
sounds like Pitt has the inside track on him. Sure would like to see him wearing MU blue and gold.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
Tweet from Corey Evans:

"Marquette had an in-home visit with 2014 Kiski center Satchel Pierce today. Pierce will take an official visit to Pitt this weekend."

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
 “They develop their bigs really well"

There is the pitch vs. Marquette every day of the week. Otule and Gardner have developed nicely, some ammo for Buzz to combat that now. People can whine as much as they want that Buzz doesn't recruit bigs, but until they develop a couple of under the radar types (otule & gardner) they'll get hammered with this message. "Its a guard and wing team, they don't send bigs to the next level."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
Satchel is at Pitt for an official this weekend.

His prep school is 45 minutes away from Pitt, so hopefully he understands what a craphole it is.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
Satchel is at Pitt for an official this weekend.

His prep school is 45 minutes away from Pitt, so hopefully he understands what a craphole it is.

Seriously, Pittsburgh might be my least favorite top 50 population city in the country.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Seriously, Pittsburgh might be my least favorite top 50 population city in the country.

Too bad Dayton isn't in this discussion.
Relax. Respect the Process.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »

Really?  I love the city.  It has improved a ton over the last 30 years.  Fun vibe, scenic on the rivers, etc. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Pittsburgh's a fine city. I'd rank it higher than Milwaukee.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Really?  I love the city.  It has improved a ton over the last 30 years.  Fun vibe, scenic on the rivers, etc. 

I have to agree with Chicos.  DT Pittsburgh is really scenic where the rivers meet and everything is very walkable including the half dozen bridges.  The rivers and bridges all have wide walk paths/trails on the sides of them.  Enjoyed walking over a bridge past the baseball stadium to the Andy Warhol Museum.  The incline (I want to call it fumacalore after the Italy ones I rode) to the cliff top is unique.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

I went there with some friends for the Marquette game last season. I thought it was a great city. Good food and great night life. Only city that can really challenge Milwaukee's bar scene in my opinion
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
Pittsburgh is an awesome city.  It's the city that Milwaukee should aspire to be

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
Both Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are very nice cities.  No need to disparage either one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
Pittsburgh's a fine city. I'd rank it higher than Milwaukee.

I agree, except for the sentimental value I have for Milwaukee.  Pittsburgh is an underated city in my opinion based on my travels around the country. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
If starting as a freshman is important to Satchel, we got him.  

No, I'm not saying that that would be guaranteed, just that now the center position is wide open for fall 2014.  

No, I'm not saying that Steve Taylor can't play center just that he'd be more effective at the 4, if MU had a legit center to put out there with him.

If he wants to develop by practicing against other similar sized guys on the other hand....

I wonder where Embiid was rated this time last year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
I wonder where Embiid was rated this time last year?

Embiid was just blowing up at this time. ESPN still had him outside the top-100, but Telep had identified him as a top-20 recruit just under a year ago.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=8627432&src=desktop

One difference, though. Embiid was far more an unknown, having spent most of his life overseas. While there are late bloomers, most guys that shoot up into those top rankings do so during their last AAU summer. I have high hopes for Pierce if we can get him in, but while a strong HS campaign could boost him into the top-100, I'd be shocked if anyone had him in the top-50 or higher.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
I went there with some friends for the Marquette game last season. I thought it was a great city. Good food and great night life. Only city that can really challenge Milwaukee's bar scene in my opinion

It could come down to Real Chili vs. Primanti Bros.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Satchel Pierce is the #1 priority for Buzz and staff #mubb MT @coreyevans_10 No one has put more time in the past month on Pierce than (MU - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/satchel-pierce#sthash.WaHdWBtO.dpuf

Like seeing things like this. I know Ahmed Hill appreciated this kind of attention. Hopefully Pierce feels the same way
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
Great news.  I think he would be a great fit at MU and get ample playing time from the start.  Good size, smart player and quick learner.  Imagine pierce and Stone together :)

NYeagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
Great news.  I think he would be a great fit at MU and get ample playing time from the start.  Good size, smart player and quick learner.  Imagine pierce and Stone together :)

Latest tweet:

Satchel Pierce Just got back to kiski, had a great visit at Pitt! #decisions

Passt auf! Die NYeagle fliegt.

feedback