[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is Satchel Pierce?  (Read 97828 times)

Eye

• All American
Re: Who is Satchel Pierce?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
Hometown of Alvin Robertson IIRC. Hopefully turns out to be a little human being than Robertson. Shouldn't be too difficult.
GO WARRIORS!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
Where is Willie Warrior - - In my view getting Pierce would be a great get - you can't coach 7'0", 260lbs.  That is a large man.  Seeing how Otule and Gardner have progressed at MU - can't help but think Satchel would develop into a serviceable big at minimum, if not very solid starter by the time he's a junior. The minutes will be there for the taking. Reel him in Buzz!

I wish I had your confidence.  There are more Mbao's out there then Otule's unfortunately.  With the dearth of 7 footers out there, I'd expect that 60 schools would be involved if he projected well.

If Buzz wants him, hooray.  But, he may develop, he may not, I would be a crap shoot that only Buzz can decide to take or not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:15:56 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
I wish I had your confidence.  There are more Mbao's out there then Otule's unfortunately.  With the dearth of 7 footers out there, I'd expect that 60 schools would be involved if he projected well.

If Buzz wants him, hooray.  But, he may develop, he may not, I would be a crap shoot that only Buzz can decide to take or not.

I agree with you, but I think that's why you have to bring in a project most years. Some guys are going to develop more or less than other guys.

If you have 3 project bigs on the roster at all times (in various stages of development), you should be able to find 40 productive minutes.

Ideally, Chris would be a senior, Davante would be a Jr, and there would be a frosh. center on the roster.

BUT, like I said before, Buzz knows far more about roster management than I ever could... so I'm sure he already knows all of this.

leever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
Someone needs to measure this dude.  Is he 7' barefoot?  Basketball shoes?  High heels?  When was his last haircut?  Before any talk of signing, we must positively confirm whether or not he is a "BIG".  No more room for switchables.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »

Perhaps, yet Mbao had PROJECT written all over him - in that he was wiry thin, and had very little basketball playing experience in his life coming from Senegal (I believe.)  With as talented of wings and PG's as Buzz gets - we don't need a star at center (although it sure would be nice), even a guy like Dwight Burke would be enough to compete for Final Fours...just need big body with some mobility, screen setting ability, and if some offensive skills too - just a bonus.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
I agree, ners.  With the talent at the other 4 positions that MU will have for the foreseeable future, a big who can defend other bigs, rebound, catch a dump off pass to lay-in/dunk, get offensive rebounds & putbacks out to be sufficient.    Admittedly, a 5 star would be awesome.    But an Ousmane Barro with better hands would be enough.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
Someone needs to measure this dude.  Is he 7' barefoot?  Basketball shoes?  High heels?  When was his last haircut?  Before any talk of signing, we must positively confirm whether or not he is a "BIG".  No more room for switchables.

It does say he is 260lb that is on the larger size.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Wally Schroeder

• Starter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
Perhaps, yet Mbao had PROJECT written all over him - in that he was wiry thin, and had very little basketball playing experience in his life coming from Senegal (I believe.)  With as talented of wings and PG's as Buzz gets - we don't need a star at center (although it sure would be nice), even a guy like Dwight Burke would be enough to compete for Final Fours...just need big body with some mobility, screen setting ability, and if some offensive skills too - just a bonus.

I like Dwight Burke as much as the next guy, but a Final 4 team probably needs a little more production on the offensive and defensive end.

But, your point is correct. Experienced, role-player bigs, can be a good option for a successful team.

Ousmane-type production would be good enough (provided this fictional player can play defense)

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
According to both these links, he's 6-9. The 7' must be with high heels.

He was 6'9", now he's 7'0".  

Try these links:

http://247sports.com/Player/Satchel-Pierce-31850

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=C

You will notice he is ranked one spot below Ben Lammers and 5 spots below Jabari Craig.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
Any chance he comes to madness? If so compare him to Otule and you get an  idea of his actual size. Either way he sounds like a sleeper maybe the biggest sleeper since rip van winkle. :D

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 06:31:41 AM »
Where is Willie Warrior - - In my view getting Pierce would be a great get - you can't coach 7'0", 260lbs.  That is a large man.  Seeing how Otule and Gardner have progressed at MU - can't help but think Satchel would develop into a serviceable big at minimum, if not very solid starter by the time he's a junior.  The minutes will be there for the taking. Reel him in Buzz!
Yeah, I am right here. We do need another 6 year project to develop. And since "the minutes are there for the taking", we might as well let him take them. Not getting a woody yet though.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
Any chance he comes to madness? If so compare him to Otule and you get an  idea of his actual size. Either way he sounds like a sleeper maybe the biggest sleeper since rip van winkle. :D
The biggest sleeper since Rip Van Winkle was Roman Muller--per no less an authority than the late great coach and world class eater Rick Majerus. RIP.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
The height debate reminds me of Jae's height. Wasn't he listed as 6'7" but really checked out as 6'4-6'5?
SS Marquette

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
I agree, ners.  With the talent at the other 4 positions that MU will have for the foreseeable future, a big who can defend other bigs, rebound, catch a dump off pass to lay-in/dunk, get offensive rebounds & putbacks out to be sufficient.    Admittedly, a 5 star would be awesome.    But an Ousmane Barro with better hands would be enough.

A big with good hands (like OX) is all we need. What was Devante ranked?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
A big with good hands (like OX) is all we need. What was Devante ranked?

I think Buzz said at one time Davante was ranked in the mid 200s. Inrember 261 or something like that.  Don't know if that was true.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:28 AM »
He's better than Otoule was at the same stage of development... so that's a plus... but just looking at him under the basket there's no way he's a 7 footer.  I'd say 6'10 in shoes, 8 weeks after a haircut.  BUT, that still qualifies as a big.
He seems to carry 260 reasonably well - if the 260 is true.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 32m
Per source, Marquette's Buzz Williams and an assistant will be in Tuesday to see 2014 Kiski School (PA) center Satchel Pierce

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 07:34:17 AM »
Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 32m
Per source, Marquette's Buzz Williams and an assistant will be in Tuesday to see 2014 Kiski School (PA) center Satchel Pierce

10/9/2013 - 2014 C Satchel Pierce (7-0, 260, 2.7★) has received an offer from Marquette. - Per Corey Evans
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
Listed at 6'7" and only a 3*.  UNACCEPTABLE to willie. No chance that guy pans out.
Outstanding shooting though (as per site), I wonder if he will ever develop enough to be any good.
Goal is National Championship

brandx

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »

Sounds like a description of Fab Melo - oops, now you're talking 5-star again  ;)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
I like Satchel.

Everyone comments when MU plays cupcakes that if Buzz could get a big as talented as their big the team would be better. And didn't Buzz recruit him.

Satchel may be that guy.

Jamie Dixon is getting involved now too. Hope he commits.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
I like the idea of Satchel quite a bit too.