collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013-14 NHL thread  (Read 68705 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2013-14 NHL thread
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
And maybe the 65 degrees helped!

It didn't hurt, that's for sure.  Watching a hockey game while people were playing volleyball and playing frisbee right next to the rink was something.  Quite a spectacle

Today's write ups in the Sports Business Daily from across the land

Bettman Hints At More SoCal NHL Outdoor Games After Success At Dodger Stadium

Published January 27, 2014
Font Size   Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large  |  Print  |  Share  |
Bettman touted the L.A. game as one of huge importance for the league
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman "didn't rule out a return to Southern California" for an outdoor game after Saturday's Ducks-Kings Coors Light Stadium Series game at Dodger Stadium, according to Helene Elliott of the L.A. TIMES. While much was made of the potential impact of warm weather, the conditions on Saturday saw a game-time temperature "within the 60-to-64 degree temperature maintained in NHL rinks" and "no wind." The "three-ring circus before the game was often excessive," but "much about this Stadium Series game was just right, making the Ducks' 3-0 victory a triumph of the spirit as much as a product of refrigeration and technology." Fans in L.A. "seem to want more outdoor games." Elliott wrote, "It was bizarre. It was wonderful. Let's do it again soon." Meanwhile, Hockey HOFer Wayne Gretzky was on hand for the pregame ceremonial puck drop, after he had recently "pulled back from promoting the game or the league" in the wake of his dispute with the NHL over the Coyotes' bankruptcy. Bettman said, "I'm not sure he ever left the fold. People have their own lives to live. But having him as a more frequent presence is very special to us" (L.A. TIMES, 1/26). In N.Y., Karen Crouse noted the crowd of 54,099 "was in full roar" when the game began. Saturday's "balmy weather notwithstanding, it was easy to get the chills." In addition to Gretzky's puck drop, the pregame ceremony included a "joint introduction" of the players by Kings announcer Bob Miller and Dodgers announcer Vin Scully. Crouse: "The beach balls and the Frisbees and the sand and the rock musicians were the side shows and the NHL, in a twist that would have been inconceivable a quarter of a century ago, was the main act" (N.Y. TIMES, 1/26). Bettman said, "Being in Southern California, this may be the biggest thing that’s ever happened for hockey in terms of fans concentrating on an event" (“Ducks-Kings,” NHL Network, 1/25).

HOLLYWOOD ENDING: ESPN.com's Scott Burnside wrote, "It's hard to imagine Hollywood scripting a better start to the NHL's ambitious -- and oft-criticized -- series of regional outdoor games." The NHL "proved it can play with the big boys with a lead-up to the game that simply hit all the right notes." Of all the outdoor games dating back to the Oilers-Canadiens Heritage Classic in '03, this "might have been the fastest, most accurate depiction of a real NHL contest." Ducks C Saku Koivu suggested that the ice "held up surprisingly well, a sentiment echoed by most of the players." Ducks D Francois Beauchemin said the ice was "better than we all thought it would be, better than some NHL arenas" (ESPN.com, 1/25). In L.A., Lisa Dillman wrote the event was "pure Hollywood, from beginning to end, topped off by a brief fireworks display after the final buzzer" (L.A. TIMES, 1/26). ESPN’s Barry Melrose said, "It was just one of those magical moments. The ice was great, so it was a home run by the NHL. It just seems like every one of these outdoor games is better than the last one" (“SportsCenter,” ESPN, 1/26). In L.A., Chris Erskine wrote Dodger Stadium "was so rocking during this milestone event that, for a while, fans quit looking at their cellphones." Erskine: "I'm pretty convinced we're only seeing the beginning of these great outdoor binges" (L.A. TIMES, 1/26). Ducks RW Teemu Selanne said of the game, "The whole package was outstanding. The atmosphere was unbelievable. You don’t have many chances to play in front of 55,000 people in California, outdoors, when you can see the stars. It was awesome. I’m going to remember this ... and I can’t see any reason why we shouldn't do this more" (GLOBE & MAIL, 1/26). ESPN L.A.'s Arash Markazi wrote, "If there was any doubt that Southern California was a serious hockey market, Saturday should have forever quieted those critics" (ESPNLA.com, 1/26).

POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE: The L.A. TIMES' Elliott writes, "The event was a roaring success, though it could have benefited from less volume on the constant, deafening music played during stoppages and less pregame activity around the rink." Elliott: "Beach volleyball and soccer and Frisbee and yoga and bands playing and street hockey? Give the NHL a minor penalty for too many men (and women) on the field." But also "give the NHL a huge win for blending technology with the right touches of sentiment" (L.A. TIMES, 1/27). In L.A., Jill Painter reported musician Paul Stanley, whose band Kiss performed prior to the game and is involved with the AFL Kiss, "was pumping $99 season tickets" for Kiss games during one of the intermissions. The "best red carpet moment" was Gretzky and former MLBer Fernando Valenzuela "meeting for the first time." Celebrities at the game included Cuba Gooding Jr., Dustin Johnson, Pat Sajak, Kerri Walsh-Jennings, Nomar Garciaparra "and so many" more (L.A. DAILY NEWS, 1/26). In L.A., JP Hoornstra wrote the areas surrounding the rink at Dodger Stadium featured "all sorts of shenanigans: People tossing frisbees, beach balls and footballs, skaters on roller skates, skateboarders on skateboards -- even a group of women stretching in yoga poses." The concept "was the brainchild of RK Productions, a Manhattan firm hired by the league to fill out the game-day presentation." RK Productions reps "scoured the beaches of Southern California and hired people -- actual beach bums, not actors -- to participate in the activities" (L.A. DAILY NEWS, 1/26).

COLD ICE, WARM BEER? The L.A. DAILY NEWS' Hoornstra reported, "Since Anheuser-Busch has a partnership with Dodger Stadium, all of its taps (Budweiser, Bud Light, et al) had to be turned off for the game, which was sponsored by Coors Light." Beer was "sold by the bottle, and the extra bottles were stored in an on-site warehouse." To the "surprise of Levy Restaurants, which operates the Dodger Stadium concession stands, some beer stands on the loge level ran out of Coors Light during the first intermission." Some fans who "tried to purchase beer after the first intermission complained that the bottles brought in from the warehouse were warm." A spokesperson said that the sold-out crowd "arrived earlier than anticipated" and took "full advantage of the beer garden outside the stadium, which added to the strain on the resources" (L.A. DAILY NEWS, 1/26).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:51:40 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
Heard the ice in California was better than Yankee Stadium.   Players really pissed about NY ice yesterday.

And some of the fans in SoCal were pissed that there was not enough ice for their beer.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
Lots of big names floating around for trade rumors. I've seen Martin St. Louis and Ryan Kessler each demanded a trade and then the Rangers might be getting rid of their Captin Ryan Callahan because he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and they think he's going to walk.

As a Wings fan I'm hoping they make a move for Kessler because he's from Livonia and plays center or both wings. Callahan would be a nice pickup also. 
Bring back FFP!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
Was at the stadium series game at soldier field. It was damn cool. Honestly wasnt that cold until the 3rd period though every time I stood up I had to brush quite a bit of snow off of myself. Considering where we were sitting you still got a great view of the ice and could easily follow the play.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »
Looked very cool.

A bit concerned about the Blues nabbing Ryan Miller (worth it IMO for a shot this year).  Glad the Hawks didn't respond with similar trade, but admit to being a bit puzzled by the Pirie deal...guess they had determined he was not to be a part of the future

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
Was at the stadium series game at soldier field. It was damn cool. Honestly wasnt that cold until the 3rd period though every time I stood up I had to brush quite a bit of snow off of myself. Considering where we were sitting you still got a great view of the ice and could easily follow the play.

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it and the weather cooperated.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »

I too attended.   The temperature really wasn't bad at all.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Looked very cool.

A bit concerned about the Blues nabbing Ryan Miller (worth it IMO for a shot this year).  Glad the Hawks didn't respond with similar trade, but admit to being a bit puzzled by the Pirie deal...guess they had determined he was not to be a part of the future

Miller trade to me was head scratching. They already had Halak and Elliot. Pirri trade I know why they made it but it pissed me off. Quenville never gave Pirri a fair shake and he would always pull his ice time whenever he made a rookie mistake. Not everybody is a Toews or a Saad and a great two way player right away. This will come back to bit the Hawks in the ass all because of Q's stubbornness.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
Miller trade to me was head scratching. They already had Halak and Elliot. Pirri trade I know why they made it but it pissed me off. Quenville never gave Pirri a fair shake and he would always pull his ice time whenever he made a rookie mistake. Not everybody is a Toews or a Saad and a great two way player right away. This will come back to bit the Hawks in the ass all because of Q's stubbornness.

I liked Piri too.  Maybe it's cause I can't stand watching the Handzus hobble around out there.  Not mad that he was traded, just surprised they couldn't get more than a 3rd and 5th.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »
Pirri is a complete defensive liability and to play for Q you have to play defense.  The Hawks have 2 better players in 19 year old Teuvo Teravainen and Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc to play center.  I am guessing that Pierre-Marc Bouchard will be called up for the end of the season and the playoffs.  But you never know what the Q'Stache is thinking.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
Pirri is a complete defensive liability and to play for Q you have to play defense.  The Hawks have 2 better players in 19 year old Teuvo Teravainen and Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc to play center.  I am guessing that Pierre-Marc Bouchard will be called up for the end of the season and the playoffs.  But you never know what the Q'Stache is thinking.

Teuvo Teravainen will be a stud.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »

Agree about Teuvo but LeBlanc is not better then Pirri. Not by a long shot.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »
Agree about Teuvo but LeBlanc is not better then Pirri. Not by a long shot.

As an offensive threat LeBlanc is not better than Pirri.  But LeBlanc fits the Hawks playing style better than Pirri does.  But I do agree that they should have got more trade value for Pirri.  Dale Tallon loves the players he was involved in drafting.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Teuvo Teravainen will be a stud.

Tay-vo? Tway-vo? Too-vo? Tivo? Haha.

Excited to see what some of these young bucks will bring to the table in the coming years.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
possible debut today?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Teravainen playing on a line tonight with Saad and Smith it looks like.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Teravainen playing on a line tonight with Saad and Smith it looks like.

TINY

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »
Kid has some serious skill.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
Kid has some serious skill.

Lot of work to do. Q was easing him in. Kid is a twig though. Im getting a boner thinking about him playing on the same line as Kane.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
You want to talk about a kid with skills go check out what Gustav Nyquist is doing for the Wings.

Single handily pushing Hockeytown into the playoffs for the 23rd straight year.
Bring back FFP!!!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »
You want to talk about a kid with skills go check out what Gustav Nyquist is doing for the Wings.

Single handily pushing Hockeytown into the playoffs for the 23rd straight year.

24.5 years old is not a "kid".  That is like saying those "kids" Kane and Toews, who are basically the same age, have skill.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:36:09 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
24.5 years old is not a "kid".  That is like saying those "kids" Kane and Toews, who are basically the same age, have skill.

It's his first full year in the league not 6th or 7th like Kane or Toews.
Bring back FFP!!!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
It's his first full year in the league not 6th or 7th like Kane or Toews.

I understand that and he is playing great.  May be the player of the month.  My point is that he is far from a kid.  Age makes a kid not how many years he has played.  The East has a great battle right now from 5th place to 10th place for a playoff spot.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
What are you, the kid police?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
I understand that and he is playing great.  May be the player of the month.  My point is that he is far from a kid.  Age makes a kid not how many years he has played.  The East has a great battle right now from 5th place to 10th place for a playoff spot.

Great playoff race maybe but the east is awful compared to the west.