Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wanted to get some Marquette fans Thoughts, RE: Diener 2005 injury  (Read 7230 times)

HoosierDaddy145

• Walk-On
Wanted to get some Marquette fans Thoughts, RE: Diener 2005 injury
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Here at Hoosier Nation we had another injury today to a player, interesting insight though to an injury that occurred under Crean at Marquette involving Travis Diener. The injury that ended his career.

Is this true or have you all heard this before in Golden Eagle land? Inuries sure are starting to pile up under Crean. Travis Diener part is in the last paragraph.

http://iusportsreport.com/2013/09/27/luke-fischer-injured/

Coleman

• All American
Re: Wanted to get some Marquette fans Thoughts, RE: Diener 2005 injury
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
Not sure what you are looking for in terms of feedback. Its a bad break for any college athlete, and you hate to see it.

The Diener injury was a bit controversial. The official claim was he hurt it in non-contact practice, but there were also rumors it was actually from an accident at a party. I had not heard about the tackling dummy rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me because Crean did make the team do some kind of out-there stuff like Tae Kwon Do.

I think people were more upset at Crean in 2005 because there was absolutely no one to back Diener up once he was injured. We had our 4 man bringing the ball up the floor. It was horrendous and ended in an early exit in the NIT. Not one of Crean's finest performances at MU.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:32:11 PM by Bleuteaux »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
The tackling dummy thing is correct. A dumb rah-rah stunt cost TD the rest of his senior year, and likely cost that team a tourney berth.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
Congratulations on the hornet's nest you have just poked with your stick.    First of all, "below average recruiting year".    Smirk. Never mind.
    But to your question, yes, injuries were a regular occurrence under Coach Crean.   Yes, Travis was rumored to have broken his hand on a tackling dummy.   Remember that Coach Crean comes from the Izzo tree.   Izzo will put lids on the basket and his players in football gear to get them to rebound more aggressively.   Coach Crean tried drills in a similar vein.   Injuries happened.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoosierDaddy145

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
We have had two injuries within the last week from Individual workouts and both to upper extremities which is kind of hard to do I would think. It isn't a leg, ankle, or anything like that.

Just seeing the way it was covered up with the Diener thing according to this, I just hope somethign like this isn't going on at Indiana right now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
We have had two injuries within the last week from Individual workouts and both to upper extremities which is kind of hard to do I would think. It isn't a leg, ankle, or anything like that.

Just seeing the way it was covered up with the Diener thing according to this, I just hope somethign like this isn't going on at Indiana right now.

While we have you here, what's the current vibe on Crean in Hoosierville? You folks happy? Disappointed? Still waiting it out to make a judgment?

Welcome to the board. Most of us no longer care for Crean, and are more than happy with Buzz, but you will find there are some very vocal Crean apologists here. I'm sure ChicosBailBonds will show up to this thread any minute. He is one of Crean's biggest defenders.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
We had a lot of injuries under Crean, but the majority of players injured were all foot/ankle injuries. There were enough of them that we were worried it was a practice/strength+conditioning issue.

That Diener injury really was chalked up to a freak accident at the time: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2005/02/travis-diener-out-for-season.html

But the amount of karate, pushing-Humvees-up-hills, using-full-pads-in-practice stuff that Crean did it really wasn't a big surprise. Freak injuries were the norm back then.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
Everything I have read said Fischer's was in a scrimmage.  That can be an easy thing to do.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
Everything I have read said Fischer's was in a scrimmage.  That can be an easy thing to do.

Were there ATVs at the scrimmage?

HoosierDaddy145

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Maybe it was in a scrimmage, but just think it is a fair question if he covered up the Diener injury one would think would cover this up?

I am not much of a fan of Crean but most are. I don't think he will be any better than is now, a sweet 16 max team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Maybe it was in a scrimmage, but just think it is a fair question if he covered up the Diener injury one would think would cover this up?

Maybe he did.  Maybe he didn't.  But just because he did before, doesn't mean he is doing so now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
Hi Blueteaux...here to ask a few questions (which will be deemed as defending by some)

So, to play this back, there is a thread about an injury that happened to a guy 8 years in season to an injury that happened to a kid yesterday in a basketball scrimmage prior to official basketball practice even starting (meaning, were Crean and other coaches even there?).   Do I have this correct? 

Meanwhile, how many current MU players are in a walking boot?   ;D

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »
The report of Travis tackling a dummy wearing a Cincinnati jersey is 100% true. It cost Travis the end of his senior year and the Marquette all-time scoring title.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Hi Blueteaux...here to ask a few questions (which will be deemed as defending by some)

So, to play this back, there is a thread about an injury that happened to a guy 8 years in season to an injury that happened to a kid yesterday in a basketball scrimmage prior to official basketball practice even starting (meaning, were Crean and other coaches even there?).   Do I have this correct? 

Meanwhile, how many current MU players are in a walking boot?   ;D

I didn't think it was dishonest to label you as a defender of Crean. I thought you'd admit as much. It wasn't meant as an insult.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
I didn't think it was dishonest to label you as a defender of Crean. I thought you'd admit as much. It wasn't meant as an insult.

You actually called him an "apologist," which has a pretty different meaning.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

You actually called him an "apologist," which has a pretty different meaning.

Umm...it does?

a·pol·o·gist
əˈpäləjist/Submit
noun
a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
Umm...it does?

a·pol·o·gist
əˈpäləjist/Submit
noun
a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

Well not completely different.

But if I call you a "defender" of something, it certainly is a more positive word to say then you are an "apologist" for something.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
The report of Travis tackling a dummy wearing a Cincinnati jersey is 100% true. It cost Travis the end of his senior year and the Marquette all-time scoring title.

Great memory! I forgot it was Cincy -

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/cusa/2005-02-23-marquette-diener_x.htm

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »

No offense taken.  I try only to "defend" when total inaccuracies are leveled.  To some people that is defending or being an apologist, to others that is setting the record straight.  Either way, I'm cool with it.  

Back to Diener, yes he was hurt in a practice in a drill that had been done many times before.  It is not as if it was a one off, brand new drill and he got hurt.  This is like the classic argument when a team is up 10 points and the coach doesn't pull them and they get hurt, then every MMQB says the coach should have pulled him.  Just as every MMQB will say he shouldn't have done that drill (despite doing the drill many many times prior and no issues).  Injuries happen, it's part of sports.  I'm not sure the injury bug has gotten any worse or better over the years.  Sometimes just as many injuries, but the unlucky bastard isn't quite as important, but the quantity of injuries still there.  Between Achilles injuries, heart issues, broken foot (DJ), etc, etc...MU has had injuries throughout and will continue.  IMO.  

Now, whether this poster is truly an IU fan finding his way to a MU board to ask about an injury to a player from MU from 8 years ago....hmm.  Maybe.  Or maybe a MU person posing as an IU fan just trying to stir things up a bit.  The next thing you know a MU fan will create a fake TC twitter account....oh wait...already done.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Now, whether this poster is truly an IU fan finding his way to a MU board to ask about an injury to a player from MU from 8 years ago....hmm.  Maybe. 

I think we all know it's Fred Glass conducting an undercover investigation...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »
I think we all know it's Fred Glass conducting an undercover investigation...

Could be, his dad went to Marquette and his son also, big Marquette fan Mr. Fred Glass is.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »
Indiana should spring for a hyperbaric chamber.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
Man, I don't know where to begin.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Hopefully Indiana has a second string forward who can play the point...

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
Man, I don't know where to begin.

Easy now. Breathe in, breathe out....   ;)