collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gore  (Read 14408 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Gore
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:18:32 AM »
Al Gore apparently won the Nobel Peace Prize.  This is the point in history at which the Nobel Peace prize begins to mean absolutely nothing.  His winning this award should be considered a slap in the face for all previous and future winners of this award.  All he won it for was running around like Chicken Little clucking about some theory that has no scientific basis.  As a scientist this disgusts  me.

Give credit to Al Gore for picking a topic in which many people are uneducated and thus easy to convince, but seriously who ever would have thought it would go this far?  First an oscar and now this.  Disgusting.  Beyond disgusting.

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Gore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:37:53 AM »
Apparently the fact that the surface of Mars is also getting warmer got lost on the judges. Or maybe they think all those industrial emissions up there are to blame as well!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:25:04 AM »
And the earth's Southern Hemisphere shows no signs of warming. This is a ridiculous joke.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »
Gore has done an amazing thing - has brought global warming to the forefront of conversations.  Not one credible scientist can doubt his findings.  Even W has admitted that Man is a root cause for global warming.

Millions of people have been impacted by his message.  Stop being so hateful and recognize the man.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:56:57 AM »
Global warming isn't the issue------we all know that earth is in a warming trend----but so is Mars. The issue is -----is this trend man made or one of the countless number of global weather fluctuations/trends since mankind originated.

Since there is no proof that this warming trend is manmade-----and that Mars is getting warmer as well----Al Gore has built an audience of gullible left wing listeners who are against industrialization in the first place in the name of extreme environmentalism!

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »
Global warming is a term that wasnt even thought up by scientists.  It was politicians who introduced this term and idea to people.  And those who can't think for themselves start believing this propaganda.  Meanwhile, scientists looking to get funding (ie plant scientists) include the term global warming in their research proposals because guess what?  All research money comes from the government.  Thus, to get funding, you basically have to be working in a hot area....cancer scientists have a much easier time getting grants than a plant scientist would.  It's no coincidence that my research area is Obesity and Diabetes as these are two huge problems in today's society.

Listen, we all can agree that pollution is bad and that there needs to be ways to minimize pollution either through science or technology or even moderation of waste, but there is no relation at all between pollution and global warming for the simple fact that global warming does not exist.  If you believe there is such a plethora of scientific research confirming the existance of global warming, please show me articles from journals like Science or Nature.  The truth is there is plenty of research on weather patterns and the fact that throughout the history of the world the weather has fluctuated.  Personally when I see snow in Cleveland in the middle of April, I begin to seriously doubt "global warming."  The liberal politicians, being the sly dogs they are, also noted this and just last spring we were introduced to the term "global climate change."

Pollution is bad, but to suggest that humans can somehow control the weather is ridiculous and somewhat egotistical.  We can create shelters from extreme heat, rain, cold, etc. but we have no control over the average temperature dropping 1 or 10 degrees.

So while Gore's bringing this discussion to the forefront of conversation will undoubtedly result in the brainwashing of many people, Mr. Tree-hugging Environmentalist Gore continues to win award after award.  What a joke.  The fact that Al Gore won the same award as Mother Theresa is a joke.  It was less of a joke when Jimmy Carter won it but even then it was a joke.  This award will forever be tarnished.  Sorta like a Barry Bonds homerun.  Next year, the Nobel Committee will no doubt honor the President of the Flat Earth Society for providing sound scientific information to the children of our planet.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »
Egads...the Nobel is now "tarnished" by a certain "should have been president" Al Gore. I should look upon Einstein's Nobel as a tarnished award now, as a result.

People judge who receives the award, leave it be.

What award we should really be upset about is how Bowling for Columbine was selected for the Oscar over Winged Migration.

THAT'S an OUTRAGE!!!  ;)

SS Marquette

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »
Honestly I think this is a case of Europeans trying to have an influence over the elections.  I think they assume that by winning the award Gore will run for president.  Right now, he's the only shot the dems have at winning the election.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 01:21:43 AM »
Obviously - you are tainted by your partisanship and cannot see past it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 01:32:23 AM »
Gore has done an amazing thing - has brought global warming to the forefront of conversations.  Not one credible scientist can doubt his findings.  Even W has admitted that Man is a root cause for global warming.

Millions of people have been impacted by his message.  Stop being so hateful and recognize the man.

Actually there are plenty of credible scientists that doubt his findings and those of the IPCC.  There you go with hyperbole again.

MIT, UCLA, Wisconsin, Harvard, Oxford, NASA, etc...scientists from all of those institutions have many questions about man's role with global warming/cooling, etc.  Yeah, it's warmer today globally then it was 30 years ago which followed about 25 years of cooling which followed decades of warming which followed decades of cooling.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 07:47:35 AM »
Obviously - you are tainted by your partisanship and cannot see past it.

No, I'm not.  I've just been trained to think critically and therefore I don't buy into a theory that wasn't even proposed by scientists.  Sorry to disappoint you but if Ronald Reagan had made that movie I still would hate it, the idea it perpetuates, and would be disgusted if he won an Oscar or Nobel Peace Prize for it.

Despite being an environmentalist, Al Gore is one of the biggest hypocrites by the way. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »
Chico;s - do these scientists come from San Diego State?  Have they ever be been published?  Please name one, I would like to follow up on this.

Thank you

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
I'm preety sure it was a makeup award for not awarding Gore a Nobel for inventing the Internet
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »
Chico;s - do these scientists come from San Diego State?  Have they ever be been published?  Please name one, I would like to follow up on this.

Thank you

Sigh.  No, that's why I listed MIT, Harvard, Nasa, etc.  For the record, I don't know who's right, but I do question us getting our panties in a wad when we've been keeping weather data for 175 years on a planet that is billions of years old.  Talk about a small data set. My dad was a Geologist / Geophysicist so I grew up in a scientist's house and he used to always say that we (people) knew about .0000000000001% of any real answers out there on these types of things.  He also said when science crossed over into politics then you better run for cover.  That's what's happening here in my opinion.  It has become a political issue and not one of science...that is scary.

Factor in that Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto and other bodies in our own Solar System are warming at the same time from this thing called the Sun, well I think I'm not quite ready to take the plunge on this.  Especially when it means spending trillions of dollars on something that likely we can't effect a damn bit.

Here's just a small sampling of some of the scientists from various highly regarded institutions.  I realize there are many that believe this is human caused, they are also rewarded HANDSOMELY with grants, etc to keep studying that belief.

--------------------

Sallie Baliunas, astronomer, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics: "[T]he recent warming trend in the surface temperature record cannot be caused by the increase of human-made greenhouse gases in the air." Baliunas and Soon wrote that "there is no reliable evidence for increased severity or frequency of storms, droughts, or floods that can be related to the air’s increased greenhouse gas content."

Willie Soon, astrophysicist, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics: "[T]here's increasingly strong evidence that previous research conclusions, including those of the United Nations and the United States government concerning 20th century warming, may have been biased by underestimation of natural climate variations. The bottom line is that if these variations are indeed proven true, then, yes, natural climate fluctuations could be a dominant factor in the recent warming. In other words, natural factors could be more important than previously assumed"

Reid Bryson, emeritus professor of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison: "It’s absurd. Of course it’s going up. It has gone up since the early 1800s, before the Industrial Revolution, because we’re coming out of the Little Ice Age, not because we’re putting more carbon dioxide into the air."

Richard Lindzen, Alfred Sloane Professor of Atmospheric Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and member of the National Academy of Sciences: "We are quite confident (1) that global mean temperature is about 0.5 °C higher than it was a century ago; (2) that atmospheric levels of CO2 have risen over the past two centuries; and (3) that CO2 is a greenhouse gas whose increase is likely to warm the earth (one of many, the most important being water vapor and clouds). But--and I cannot stress this enough--we are not in a position to confidently attribute past climate change to CO2 or to forecast what the climate will be in the future." "[T]here has been no question whatsoever that CO2 is an infrared absorber (i.e., a greenhouse gas — albeit a minor one), and its increase should theoretically contribute to warming. Indeed, if all else were kept equal, the increase in CO2 should have led to somewhat more warming than has been observed."

George V. Chilingar, Professor of Civil and Petroleum Engineering at the University of Southern California: "The authors identify and describe the following global forces of nature driving the Earth’s climate: (1) solar radiation ..., (2) outgassing as a major supplier of gases to the World Ocean and the atmosphere, and, possibly, (3) microbial activities ... . The writers provide quantitative estimates of the scope and extent of their corresponding effects on the Earth’s climate [and] show that the human-induced climatic changes are negligible."

George Kukla, retired Professor of Climatology at Columbia University and Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said in an interview: "What I think is this: Man is responsible for a PART of global warming. MOST of it is still natural."

Frederick Seitz, retired, former solid-state physicist, former president of the National Academy of Sciences: "So we see that the scientific facts indicate that all the temperature changes observed in the last 100 years were largely natural changes and were not caused by carbon dioxide produced in human activities"

Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the University of London: "...the myth is starting to implode. ... Serious new research at The Max Planck Institute has indicated that the sun is a far more significant factor..."

Below is a link to former global warming activists who now are skeptics.
http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?idarticle=9469

Who's right, who's wrong...I don't know.  Today Dr. Gray of Colorado State said we will look back in 15 to 20 years and see what a complete fool Gore was on this.  Who knows if he's (Gray) is right. 

But rest assured, your statement that there is not one credible scientist that is against what Gore says is pure crap.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 06:10:35 PM »
Thanks Chicos - willie and sallie are funded by the American Petroleum Institute and has been widely criticized by scientific journals for their lack of peer review of findings.

Reid Bryson doesnt deny global warming - however he believes spitting causes global warming.  He is 86 yrs old and very open minded.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 06:24:14 PM »
there is no relation at all between pollution and global warming for the simple fact that global warming does not exist.

If it were that simple, and that much of a fact, then it wouldn't be a debate.  Nobody really knows the answer, and if you've proven this somewhere and not turned over your findings, then I suggest you report them immediately!   ;D

Listen, we all can agree that pollution is bad and that there needs to be ways to minimize pollution either through science or technology or even moderation of waste

Honestly, thats the key.  Take all the money and effort used in proving or disproving global warming, put it towards commercializing products that reduce human impact on our fragile ecosystems, and I'd be a happy man.

Unfortunately few people, and even fewer politicians seem to be able to grasp that concept.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »
There is absolutely no question as to if there is global warming (there is)----- the real question is -----what is causing it? Is it a normal fluctuation in temperatue within historical averages----or is it something that is far different----like a trend to oblivion?

I'd be a lot more sympathtic to the oblivion theroy brought on by global pollution, if it were not for the fact that the climate of Mars is warming as well!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
I agree Murf.  The root evil is fossil fuels-primarily coal.  I have opened my eyes to nuclear energy as a viable solution.  In the meantime,  we should all drive less. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
giving gore the nobel peace prize is no more a 'stain' than giving one to ...,oh, say, carter,...or, worse, arafat. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 09:37:13 PM »
Carter has done alot for peace since leaving office - so I would call that a compliment for Gore.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 09:47:58 PM »
Yes mviale, and many on the "humans are causing it" are paid by George Soros groups, etc.  We can argue this until the cows come home.

If in 10 years, 15 years it begins to cool again, much like it did several times of warming and cooling in the 1900's, then what?

I find it remarkable that a planet that is billions of years old we're running around screaming the sky is falling based on a warming trend that is almost inconsequential....a data point about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% in the life of this planet.

But hey, if gives politicians a chance to raise taxes all in the name of "saving the planet".  So I ask you, if temperatures cool in a few years, will they rescind those taxes to save the planet?

We all know that answer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
there is no relation at all between pollution and global warming for the simple fact that global warming does not exist.

If it were that simple, and that much of a fact, then it wouldn't be a debate.  Nobody really knows the answer, and if you've proven this somewhere and not turned over your findings, then I suggest you report them immediately!   ;D

Listen, we all can agree that pollution is bad and that there needs to be ways to minimize pollution either through science or technology or even moderation of waste

Rocky, there will be plenty of people that become billionaires and millionaires all in the name of ecofriendly industries.  The question will be, how many of them really do what they say?  The chances for fraud in this area are TREMENDOUS.  How do they really prove that they are reducing X amount of carbon footprint, etc?  It's ripe for all kinds of problems, but people are so bought into this thing that they'll throw their money at it because they feel like they are doing something good.  The amount of money will be obscene.

Honestly, thats the key.  Take all the money and effort used in proving or disproving global warming, put it towards commercializing products that reduce human impact on our fragile ecosystems, and I'd be a happy man.

Unfortunately few people, and even fewer politicians seem to be able to grasp that concept.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »
There is absolutely no question as to if there is global warming (there is)----- the real question is -----what is causing it? Is it a normal fluctuation in temperatue within historical averages----or is it something that is far different----like a trend to oblivion?

I'd be a lot more sympathtic to the oblivion theroy brought on by global pollution, if it were not for the fact that the climate of Mars is warming as well!

Actually Murff, there is a lot of questions whether it's happening.  I provided links to many well reputed scientists from many well respected institutions.  Personally, yeah I think it's warmer but that it happens all the time in ebbs and flows.  It's why other planets are warming at the same time we are....afterall we all share one primary heating source...the sun (yes, there are other heating elements....clouds, atmosphere, etc...I realize that).

Meanwhile the southern ice caps are GROWING, the nothern caps are shrinking, parts of Africa are cooler than ever, parts or Europe warmer, Mars warming, etc.   Similar trends in the 1940's, 1960's, late 1800's, etc. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
Rocky, there will be plenty of people that become billionaires and millionaires all in the name of ecofriendly industries.  The question will be, how many of them really do what they say?  The chances for fraud in this area are TREMENDOUS.  How do they really prove that they are reducing X amount of carbon footprint, etc?  It's ripe for all kinds of problems, but people are so bought into this thing that they'll throw their money at it because they feel like they are doing something good.  The amount of money will be obscene.

Somehow, I don't see a difference between making money in the eco-friendly industry, rather than say, the defense industry, or automotive industry, or telecommunications industry. 

Just like anything else in a capitalist society, those that deliver will get rich.

I'll agree that when it comes to "alternative fuels" for autos, there is a lot of work to do.  But as for infrastructure, we could and should be doing a lot more with wind, solar, hydro, and maybe even (gasp) nuclear.  That would be a good start as opposed to burning coal for electricity.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
I don't disagree with you on that front Rocky. 

Which is why I keep asking why Ted Kennedy and the libs in Massachusetts shot down the windfarm off the cape.

Do as we say, not as we do seems to live larger than ever.