Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pilarz to step down  (Read 101714 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Pilarz to step down
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
Just curious, but do any other Jesuit schools have a lay president?  I know Fordham is Jesuit, but I think they actually have a lay president or some other lay feature that makes them not quite as Jesuit as the rest.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
Just curious, but do any other Jesuit schools have a lay president?  I know Fordham is Jesuit, but I think they actually have a lay president or some other lay feature that makes them not quite as Jesuit as the rest.

Georgetown.
Have some patience, FFS.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »

Georgetown.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
If these are gross numbers, comparing one year to the next is worthless.  One or two large donations that are earmarked for a particular project could totally skew the numbers.  It would be more meaningful to compare fundraising goals vs. actual results.

I agree that it is hard to compare these numbers, but it is possible that the board was seeing a trend and wanted to fix things before their was a problem.

I believe MU's last capital campaign ended in 2005-2006.  If so, they are likely about to start a new one soon.  You never want to start a capital campaign with a president you aren't sure about (on the fundraising side).  It is possible the board wanted to move in the direction of a better fundraiser to prepare for a coming capital campaign.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
Unless the new guy brings back the Warrior nickname, who cares who any of the old or new MU presidents are. They all suck!

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
Georgetown.

Gonzaga also has a layperson.  As does Layola Marymount, Detroit-Mercy, St. Peter's in NJ, and Canisius and Le Moyne in New York State.

brandx

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
All joking aside, I would assume something not good is going on, so a pray is probably in order.

Modus operandi for the board.

brandx

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
No way. It's a scandal. They wouldn't show him the door in the middle of the school year...just weeks after the start of the year...if it was a run of the mill situation. Something has happened. Thank God we have the Zizzo Group to lead us through these things.
how does keeping him around (if it's a scandal) protect anyone? It would reflect poorly on the university to do anything but remove him of his duties immediately.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
I will note that even if it is because "of a scandal" it doesn't necessarily mean it is something that is a big deal.  As a president of a university, there are higher expectations of appearance/behavior.

I know of a University president who was recently forced to step down immediately (meaning 2-week notice type of thing), because a close family member had died and was having a hard time dealing with it.  He ended up having a few too many drinks in a public place.

Something perfectly reasonable for your average person, but as a University President, unacceptable behavior.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Georgetown.

Which just received a $100 million donation from Frank McCourt. 
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Which just received a $100 million donation from Frank McCourt. 

A beloved individual here in the Los Angeles area.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
One down. One to go?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
One down. One to go?

Let's hope not...everyone needs a boss...not a rubber stamp

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
i can get you a poll to show the majority want LW out as well...

but in all seriousness...at this point (not knowing who the replacement will be) does this have any effect on buzz?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:18:35 PM by avid1010 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »

Everyone needs a boss? 9.2 million self employed Americans would beg to differ.

Buzz, though, does need A boss - thought why it should be THAT boss is beyond me.

CAMUs

• Walk-On
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
Who knows?  It's not lack of fundraising capacity.  Pilarz did well at Scranton.  It's been years since the Magis Campaign and is commonly believed that University Advancement has grown stagnant and staff-heavy for the $$ it currently brings in.  The Office of the President got rid of Julie Tolan, who served as VP of UA for years.  The new guy, whom I know personally, is top notch and has a track record for running successful, efficient operations.  (That said, I met Tolan years go and had high regard for her, too, back then.")

If I were a betting man, this is not because of anything scandalous.  Any university keeping a president on once a scandal has come to light is simply asking for it, and i hope to God the MU board isn't that stupid.  I guess the board could have come to the understanding that Pilarz is no Wild and wants a change, but that is remote and Pilarz seems at least solid.  More than anything, it sounds like the board it torqued because they wish Pilarz would not have put his hat in the ring if he was having doubts about what he wanted to do.  Now, they have to go through another search.

I would imagine Pilarz's departure is either because of a personal health issue or because of a "crisis" of vocation.  (Probably the latter.)  If it is the former, being circumspect about the facts is due to a desire to maintain his privacy.  If it is the latter, there is a good chance it is about his sexuality--either he is gay and wants to come out and live a more honest life or is straight and wants to pursue a relationship with a woman.  This would account for the bit about the consideration he has given to his ministry over the past three years.

Anyway, my two cents.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
Perhaps it's simply because he is an east coast guy and wants to go back to his roots?  Or, as he alludes, he would rather teach than be an administrator?  Or a combo of both?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
i can get you a poll to show the majority want LW out as well...

but in all seriousness...at this point (not knowing who the replacement will be) does this have any effect on buzz?

I can show you a relationship that most that are in that poll with that view have their heads either so far up one coach's arse or in the sand (either way, doesn't matter)....but yes, let's see that SCIENTIFIC poll.   ;D   At least on this particular topic.  Do you not remember the folks here that said Buzz should have no boss, no administration oversite.  WOW.

Does it have any effect on Buzz....whenever a new boss is hired it can have an effect.  No one knows for sure until new person is hired.  Seems pretty obvious.   Wait and see.  Maybe the new President will want to make us more like SLU.   :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:48:09 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Everyone needs a boss? 9.2 million self employed Americans would beg to differ.

Buzz, though, does need A boss - thought why it should be THAT boss is beyond me.

You don't think they have a boss?  LOL.    "They didn't build that......"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »
more interested in if anyone really has any insight on the relationship between buzz and pilarz...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
more interested in if anyone really has any insight on the relationship between buzz and pilarz...

I guess that really does not matter much now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »
You don't think they have a boss?  LOL.    "They didn't build that......"

Well, there are 800,000 less than there were when the "they didn't build it" team took over but I don't think self employment/entrepreneurship is dead. You do?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Well, there are 800,000 less than there were when the "they didn't build it" team took over but I don't think self employment/entrepreneurship is dead. You do?

LT...I sure as hell hope not, but they aren't making it any easier these days.