collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Student Athlete Arrested for Battery  (Read 28337 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Student Athlete Arrested for Battery
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Wow, I haven't been on Muscoop long but there seems to be a fair amount of bitterness in posts on here on numerous subjects. Seems like a lot of built up frustration. Is that an old man thing?
Are you inquiring about old man things?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Calm down, Grimey.

Exactly.  There are situations and there are SITUATIONS.   This is an gnat situation compared to what went down a few years ago and people with common sense will see it as such.  When the Chicago Tribune runs three front page stories, every newscast in town leads with the story for multiple days, you make ESPN and other national media, then someone can compare the two.   The incidents a few years ago did sully the university...badly...this is why there were CONSEQUENCES and people fired, policies changed.  This current situation.....stupid, but nothing more.  Surely Ners, Tower, Blueteaux and others understand the commons sense difference. 

And Melissa, patterns definitely emerge.  There are those that stick their heads in the sand and there are those that don't. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Being new to the board you wouldn't understand the context and perhaps sarcasm of my comments.  It isn't bitterness, it's more wisdom - you learn as you go along that at times adults/administrations knee jerk and overreact to incidents, and often impose "solutions" that in no way curtail the "problem," as the "problem" ultimately will never be eliminated...as its just a part of life...an example might be underage drinking..you make it illegal, impose fines, etc., but it still happens...just as drunk driving, drug usage, etc. So just as our administration raised eligibility standards for athletes, and ultimately making recruiting JUCO's more difficult - none of that will curtail offcourt incidents by student athletes.  IT's going to happen - they are 18-22 year old boys...

Shut'er down.  Post of the year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
Exactly.  There are situations and there are SITUATIONS.   This is an gnat situation compared to what went down a few years ago and people with common sense will see it as such.  When the Chicago Tribune runs three front page stories, every newscast in town leads with the story for multiple days, you make ESPN and other national media, then someone can compare the two.   The incidents a few years ago did sully the university...badly...this is why there were CONSEQUENCES and people fired, policies changed.  This current situation.....stupid, but nothing more.  Surely Ners, Tower, Blueteaux and others understand the commons sense difference. 

And Melissa, patterns definitely emerge.  There are those that stick their heads in the sand and there are those that don't. 

Thanks, buddy.   To borrow from The Rock, "You know your role."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
Yes, it definitely is an old man thing, Melissa.  Wait until they get off-topic and start trying to one-up each other about how hard they partied as an MU student.  That's what happens when you peak at 22.

Says the gal who recently reminisced about "a night of pounding 3-for-a-buck RWBs at the 'Lanche."
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Says the gal who recently reminisced about "a night of pounding 3-for-a-buck RWBs at the 'Lanche."

If you re-read that post carefully, you will note that I wasn't necessarily bragging.  Showing up at Marquette Donuts at 2 in the morning really isn't something to be proud of.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
Yes, it definitely is an old man thing, Melissa.  Wait until they get off-topic and start trying to one-up each other about how hard they partied as an MU student.  That's what happens when you peak at 22.

That's cuz we're old enough to know we can't talk like this in front of our wives, so this is the best place left.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »

My life didn't peak at 22.   My drinking did.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

Or have a johnson measurin' dialogue.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
Being new to the board you wouldn't understand the context and perhaps sarcasm of my comments.  It isn't bitterness, it's more wisdom - you learn as you go along that at times adults/administrations knee jerk and overreact to incidents, and often impose "solutions" that in no way curtail the "problem," as the "problem" ultimately will never be eliminated...as its just a part of life...an example might be underage drinking..you make it illegal, impose fines, etc., but it still happens...just as drunk driving, drug usage, etc. So just as our administration raised eligibility standards for athletes, and ultimately making recruiting JUCO's more difficult - none of that will curtail offcourt incidents by student athletes.  IT's going to happen - they are 18-22 year old boys...

You're partially right.

Does raising admissions "solve" the issues? Eh. I don't think that is does or will.

However, I don't want MU simply shrugging and saying "boys will be boys" when there are incidents of really poor decision making. That's a bad stance to take.

MU (as an institution) needs to help guide the student athletes on how they should and shouldn't be acting, and enforce the appropriate consequences. I think we can all agree on that. That applies to every sports team, including LaCrosse, track, golf, etc. etc.

The coaching staff should certainly be involved, but as a matter of checks and balances, other parties need some visibility as well.

Not that complicated.

If/when MU continues to show good judgement when these situations occur, then I think we'll all be more confident in the outcomes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

Solid, bro, solid.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »

If you polled college sports fans outside of Wisconsin, 99% of them would have no idea of the SITUATION that took place at Marquette a couple years back.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »
A student involved in the incident, who chose to remain anonymous, told the Tribune immediately after the incident that the student athlete who struck the DPS officers was under the influence of an unidentified illegal substance.

How do they know if it's illegal if it's unidentified?  In the words of the late Johnnie Cochran:  "If it's unidentifiable, the case against him is friable."

(Johnnie's one-liners were a bit of a stretch in his later years.)

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
How do they know if it's illegal if it's unidentified?  In the words of the late Johnnie Cochran:  "If it's unidentifiable, the case against him is friable."

(Johnnie's one-liners were a bit of a stretch in his later years.)

Here's how:

Anonymous student:  "That dude was stoned!"

Reporter: "What was he on?"

Anonymous student:  "I'd rather not say."
Have some patience, FFS.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
If you re-read that post carefully, you will note that I wasn't necessarily bragging.  Showing up at Marquette Donuts at 2 in the morning really isn't something to be proud of.

Well i am all for improving on ones drinking ability.
MU15

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
Exactly.  There are situations and there are SITUATIONS.   This is an gnat situation compared to what went down a few years ago and people with common sense will see it as such.  

This is a "gnat" because it's not a basketball player. This is much, much more serious than underage college kids being in a bar (not drinking) or a one punch fight between two students over a (presumed) racial slur. I don't recall hearing you or the local media shrugging off those non events as "gnats", but I'm not the least bit surprised.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
This is a "gnat" because it's not a basketball player. This is much, much more serious than underage college kids being in a bar (not drinking) or a one punch fight between two students over a (presumed) racial slur. I don't recall hearing you or the local media shrugging off those non events as "gnats", but I'm not the least bit surprised.

+1

But of course we all know what sells newspapers, etc.

Kid made a very big mistake and will be very fortunate if he doesn't face a pretty serious penalty.  I've certainly 'erred' in my life but was always smart enough (sober enough) to remember that 'Yes officer' was the only appropriate response.

I liken it to watching an episode of Campus PD.  Hey kids, when the party gets busted quietly walk out the front door and go back to your dorm immediately just like the officer says.  Hang around and mouth off.... plan on wearing some cuffs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
Thanks, buddy.   To borrow from The Rock, "You know your role."

Yup, the one that doesn't put his head in the sand.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
My life didn't peak at 22.   My drinking did.   

So did chick's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
If you polled college sports fans outside of Wisconsin, 99% of them would have no idea of the SITUATION that took place at Marquette a couple years back.

43% of people can't identify New York on a map. http://technorati.com/lifestyle/travel/article/americans-lack-geographic-literacy-cant-find/     That doesn't make it ok.  I'm not worried about the ignorant people in this country, I was worried about the image of the school.  Apparently so were the people that run it, which is why they reacted the way they did.  It was good to see a few adults in charge.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:25:02 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
Yup, the one that doesn't put his head in the sand.
Some say burying one's head in the sand, some say not to leap to conclusions.

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/4276/20130821/maryland-basketball-player-dez-wells-sues-xavier-university-wrongful-expulsion.htm

But we've beaten this horse to death before and it ended poorly for you.   We are never going to change the other's mind.    It's fun having you off of 'ignore'.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »

Yes, not a basketball player is a big reason why it would be "gnat" like coverage.

I was comparing this situation to two sexual assault situations, for which it is not even close to as serious as this one....gnat like.   I don't see where I compared it at all to bar fights or presumed slur....I don't see where anyone did.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
Make no mistake, Chicos would be creating much Hoopla around this if it were a men's basketball player.

Double standards? But of course. We know that and still accept him for who/what he is.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
Make no mistake, Chicos would be creating much Hoopla around this if it were a men's basketball player.

Hoopaloopla

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »

feedback