'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by mugrad_89
[Today at 08:35:04 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS acquires Big East hoops rights  (Read 15057 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: CBS acquires Big East hoops rights
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
The AAC, Big East, A-10, Mtn. West, Conf USA & Patroit League Men's basketball is on this network!
Bucky would have a field day with this statement.

brandx

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
Is this an indication that Fox Sports1 has already given up?

Sure looks like it. Apparently the Big East will not be showcased. It is not a priority in any way for Fox1. UFC, boxing, and Soccer will remain the focus. Sending the Big East to CBSSN is just a way to re-coup costs from not getting a better deal from Cable providers

This is NOT a plus - it will LIMIT ACCESS to Big East basketball. This means LESS access to MU & Big East basketball. Most people do not have access to the plus Sports package.

Give me back ESPN for the Big East!!!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
Sure looks like it. Apparently the Big East will not be showcased. It is not a priority in any way for Fox1. UFC, boxing, and Soccer will remain the focus. Sending the Big East to CBSSN is just a way to re-coup costs from not getting a better deal from Cable providers

This is NOT a plus - it will LIMIT ACCESS to Big East basketball. This means LESS access to MU & Big East basketball. Most people do not have access to the plus Sports package.

Agreed.

They also should've kept Syracuse and Louisville. Dumb move getting rid of those teams.

The Big East is going downhill, you guys!

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 09:45:33 AM »

I have the basic Comcast sports package, which is dirt cheap, and this will be the first year that I'll get to watch almost every MU game aside from Grambling and Samford. I'm thrilled.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »

They sold a few games to recoup some costs.  That is not an indication that they have given up on the Big East.  Everyone knew they were going to be some games sold off to other networks.  Some had thought ESPN may buy some.  Chicos would be the expert, but I believe this is standard operating procedure.

If you look at the games that were sold, they have little national value to Fox.  For instance, two MU games were sold.  At Depaul, and home against Depaul.  That game was never going to get national attention.  Better to sell it off to someone else if they are willing to buy it.

Relax, it is really not a big deal.  ESPN didn't broadcast all of the Big East games in the past, some had to be watched on ESPN3, which not all people had.  At least these games are being sold off to another broadcaster allowing potential non-internet based viewing of the games.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
I do realize that this only affects a handful of MU conference games - not all of them - but it shows that maybe they aren't nearly as dedicated to the BE as we thought they might be.

Butler game is sold as well.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
I do realize that this only affects a handful of MU conference games - not all of them - but it shows that maybe they aren't nearly as dedicated to the BE as we I thought they might be.

FIFY.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »

I would say the numbers don't add up by your statement.

FOX Sports 1 will air 108 regular-season games, and an additional 9 tournament games.
FOX Sports 2 will air 12 games. (To find the channel location for FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 on local distributors, use the channel locator at http://msn.foxsports.com/.)
 CBS Sports Network will air 18 games, and 2 additional games will air on CBS Sports.
 FOX Sports Network will air up to 18 games regionally. FOX Sports (FBC) will televise one game featuring BIG EAST teams.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
This was likely in the plan all along and was part of the negotiations so it means no such thing.

Look at it this way…with some of the games now on CBS it gives that network incentive to cover/promote the league…..that is a good thing.

I do realize that this only affects a handful of MU conference games - not all of them - but it shows that maybe they aren't nearly as dedicated to the BE as we thought they might be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »

I guess people don't remember the halcyon days of LAST YEAR when some of Marquette's Big East games were shown on bumblef*ck channels like NESN and MSG network.

Jesus, people will find any reason to be chicken littles.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »

This was talked about months ago as a possibility, I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

I guess people don't remember the halcyon days of LAST YEAR when some of Marquette's Big East games were shown on bumblef*ck channels like NESN and MSG network.

Jesus, people will find any reason to be chicken littles.

I definitely wouldn't classify those in that manner.....they are very important in Boston and greater Northeast and more importantly, NYC.  Regional....yes, but it's not like being on Fox Sports Utah or Sunshine Network.  Don't get me wrong, your point is well taken.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
They definitely haven't given up on anything, not with the money they spent.

Though in talking to some of my ESPN counterparts yesterday, they are having a chuckle at FS1's ratings right now.  I don't blame them, been a rough start thus far but as I reminded my Bristol boys, no one watched their stuff for a long time either and they were the only game in town.

Time and money.....we'll see how it goes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »
I definitely wouldn't classify those in that manner.....they are very important in Boston and greater Northeast and more importantly, NYC.  Regional....yes, but it's not like being on Fox Sports Utah or Sunshine Network.  Don't get me wrong, your point is well taken.

OK..."bumblef*ck" isn't a word I should have used.  But ESPN sold off its BE rights to smaller networks, just like Fox is doing.  (And I am sure other networks do all the time.  I mean, isn't that why the BTN exists in the first place???)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »

Though in talking to some of my ESPN counterparts yesterday, they are having a chuckle at FS1's ratings right now.  I don't blame them, been a rough start thus far but as I reminded my Bristol boys, no one watched their stuff for a long time either and they were the only game in town.

It would be nice if they wouldn't put on an even dumber version of Sports Center.  I know I'm not their target audience, but c'mon...  I don't care about what Donovan McNabb thinks about anything...much less basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
This was likely in the plan all along and was part of the negotiations so it means no such thing.

Look at it this way…with some of the games now on CBS it gives that network incentive to cover/promote the league…..that is a good thing.

Well said. Big East basketball on more channels can only be a good thing for the league
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
OK..."bumblef*ck" isn't a word I should have used.

You can still get bumblef*ck channels even if you don't live in bumblef*ck... so I thought the choice of words was acceptable.  But I live in bumblef*ck and I still don't watch bumblef*ck channels, so what do I know.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »
Relax, it is really not a big deal.  ESPN didn't broadcast all of the Big East games in the past, some had to be watched on ESPN3, which not all people had.  At least these games are being sold off to another broadcaster allowing potential non-internet based viewing of the games.

Has there been any updates recently on when FS1 will have a streaming presence on the internet?  Also, for the games on CBSSN, do we know if they will also stream those on the internet (assuming, of course, they have the streaming up and running by that time)?  Any information on that out there?  Chicos?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
We have 3 games on CBSSN:
1/4 - MU vs. DePaul at 1:00 - Fox1 has St. Johns at Georgetown instead.  This is clearly a bigger game.
1/18 - MU at Butler at 1:00 - Fox1 has Creighton at Providence instead.  We'd all say the MU game is bigger, but it's probably a toss-up.
2/22 - MU at DePaul at 5:00 - the Fox1 schedule looks open that night, so maybe it's UFC

They can only show one game at a time.  Fox2 doesn't have HD on TWC in MKE, so we might be better off on CBSSN.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
Here's our break-down of conference games:
CBS - 1
Fox1 - 13
CBSSN - 3
FSN - 1

Here's Georgetown's:
CBS - 1
Fox1 - 15
CBBSN - 2

Here's DePaul's:
Fox1 - 9
CBSSN - 5
FSN - 4

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »

Forgot about the Butler game.  You are correct and I wanted to see that one.  But this was expected as I and others have noted.  It is also actually an improvement as far as availability compared to ESPN.

That is provided that FS1 gets the coverage it had hoped for.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »

Two of the three games on Saturday, FS1 had was FCS vs FBS schools. It's hard when Fox shares the Big 12 & Pac-12 with ESPN. FS1, so far isn't getting the top games.

Many I hear don't know if they have the channel or care to look for it. It just will take time and word of mouth.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »
Has there been any updates recently on when FS1 will have a streaming presence on the internet?  Also, for the games on CBSSN, do we know if they will also stream those on the internet (assuming, of course, they have the streaming up and running by that time)?  Any information on that out there?  Chicos?

Fox Sports Go is the name of the app.  Not yet released.  At the Fox conference I went to this Summer, it was to be launched when the channel launched, but sounds like they are still tinkering with it.

Here's an article fairly recent   http://www.phonearena.com/news/App-for-new-Fox-Sports-1-network-coming-soon-with-live-streaming-video-scores-and-more_id46472

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/08/16/fox-sports-go-android-and-ios-app-will-be-delayed/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:19:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
Fox Sports Go is the name of the app.  Not yet released.  At the Fox conference I went to this Summer, it was to be launched when the channel launched, but sounds like they are still tinkering with it.

Here's an article fairly recent   http://www.phonearena.com/news/App-for-new-Fox-Sports-1-network-coming-soon-with-live-streaming-video-scores-and-more_id46472

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/08/16/fox-sports-go-android-and-ios-app-will-be-delayed/

So, is this going to be one of those deals where you have to be a cable subscriber with access to the channel on your TV to actually be able to use the app or watch live video?  Like Watch ESPN?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
We will know FS1 has thrown in the towel if they bring in Al Gore.

feedback