* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by seakm4
[Today at 12:30:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 03, 2024, 11:32:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[June 03, 2024, 11:42:11 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS acquires Big East hoops rights  (Read 15010 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
CBS acquires Big East hoops rights
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
Per ESPN and the Associated Press:

NEW YORK -- CBS Sports has struck a deal with Fox Sports to acquire the rights to televise Big East basketball games from the 2013-14 season through 2018-19.

In the first year of the deal, CBS will broadcast two games and CBS Sports Network will air 18.

Beginning with the 2014-15 season, CBS Sports will have the right to up to 30 men's basketball games per year, with up to five on CBS.

The deal gives CBS the rights to nonconference and conference games. CBS Sports Network also will air a minimum of two women's basketball games per year, as well as some Olympic sports.

The Big East is back to being a basketball only conference. The schools without FBS football teams broke away from the football schools and took the name.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

brandx

Re: CBS acquires Big East hoops rights
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
So does this mean we will have to pay more for MU basketball? CBS Sports is a premium channel.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
CBS SPORTS SIGNS MULTI-YEAR DEAL TO BROADCAST BIG EAST CONFERENCE BASKETBALL

BIG EAST Games to be Featured on CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network
via Sublicense Deal with Fox Sports

2013-14 Schedule Features Multiple Appearances by
Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and St. John’s

CBS Sports has acquired the rights to televise BIG EAST Conference college basketball games on the CBS Television Network and CBS Sports Network through a sublicensing agreement with Fox Sports. The multi-year agreement begins with the 2013-2014 college basketball season and continues through 2018-2019. 

Beginning with the 2014-2015 season, the deal provides for up to 30 men’s basketball games per year combined on CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network.  CBS Sports can broadcast up to five games each year, with CBS Sports Network airing the remaining contests as part of the agreement.

In the first year of the deal for the 2013-2014 season, CBS Sports will broadcast two games and CBS Sports Network will air 18 match-ups.  Both CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network will have access to non-conference and conference games. Also, CBS Sports Network will air a minimum of two women’s games per year, as well as select Olympic sports.

“We are excited about our new agreement with Fox, which extends our 30-year relationship with the BIG EAST Conference,” said Sean McManus, Chairman, CBS Sports. “Today’s announcement continues our recent string of new agreements strengthening our programming, and further solidifying CBS Sports as the leader in college basketball.”

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
So does this mean we will have to pay more for MU basketball? CBS Sports is a premium channel.
It's in the Sportpass for TWC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »
Damn

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »

I know in the comcast (chicago) package I have. CBS Sports is included in the package that fox sports 1 is in.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Many AAC games will be on CBS Sports Network as well.
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
Sound like good news to me. Should help recruiting for the league, especially if we can get up to 5 games nationally on CBS

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
I honestly have no idea if this is good or bad. Hopefully someone can do some analysis on it. A few questions I have..

Isn't this a really big deal? Weren't we THE basketball conference on Fox? Like, the flagship?

And we've since been transferred? What does that imply amongst media companies?

Does CBS/CBSSports carry any other conferences? How are we going to compete with them for viewing, etc?

I also think this is a hindrance in terms of other shows. I feel as though with Fox Sports building a programming base, there could have been BEast specific bball shows during the season. Now, on CBS, will we get that?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
I honestly have no idea if this is good or bad. Hopefully someone can do some analysis on it. A few questions I have..

Isn't this a really big deal? Weren't we THE basketball conference on Fox? Like, the flagship?

Does CBS/CBSSports carry any other conferences? How are we going to compete with them for viewing, etc?

I also think this is a hindrance in terms of other shows. I feel as though with Fox Sports building a programming base, there could have been BEast specific bball shows during the season. Now, on CBS, will we get that?

Not a big deal.  It's only 18-25 games on CBSN.  Plus CBS has more exposure than FS1, so that's good.  The more coverage the better.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
Sound like good news to me. Should help recruiting for the league, especially if we can get up to 5 games nationally on CBS
CBS Sports Network

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »

I've watch CBS Sports Network for years! Many good college football show. The Tim Brando Show runs from Monday thru Friday (8am to 11am) Jim Rome has a show at 5pm. Leadoff with Doug Gottlieb and Allie La Force at 11pm.

The AAC, Big East, A-10, Mtn. West, Conf USA & Patroit League Men's basketball is on this network!

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/

DirecTV   221 (HD/SD)
Dish Network   158 (HD/SD)
Bell TV   413 (SD), 1432 (HD)
Verizon FiOS   94 (SD)
Comcast   854 (HD)
IPTV
Sky Angel   323 (SD)
AT&T U-verse (U.S.)   1643 (HD)
643 (SD)
Bell Fibe TV (Canada)   1413 (HD)
413 (SD)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:42:20 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »

This was talked about months ago.  It happens. CBS bought some rights to the Big East games last year if I recall.  It allows Fox some flexibility, recoup some costs, and gives CBS SN some inventory. 

Just so everyone is clear,it is CBS Sports Network, not CBS.  For some distributors is it in a higher tier or a sports package tier.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
This was talked about months ago.  It happens. CBS bought some rights to the Big East games last year if I recall.  It allows Fox some flexibility, recoup some costs, and gives CBS SN some inventory. 

Just so everyone is clear,it is CBS Sports Network, not CBS.  For some distributors is it in a higher tier or a sports package tier.
Actually, several games are on the mother ship CBS....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »

So, there's no implication here what CBS, Fox, or any other network think of the Big East in terms of its value, etc?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
This deal however gives CBS the latitude to move competitive and desirable match ups (in case some planned matchups become duds) from CBS SN to their CBS channel, right?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
Actually, several games are on the mother ship CBS....

Understood, but the article I linked earlier in the day applies to CBSSN

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
This deal however gives CBS the latitude to move competitive and desirable match ups (in case some planned matchups become duds) from CBS SN to their CBS channel, right?

With out seeing the particulars, I don't know.  Normally the flexibility for a network flagship like CBS would be limited to do such a thing unless what you are asking is if the 2 games CBS has the match ups can change.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »
With out seeing the particulars, I don't know.  Normally the flexibility for a network flagship like CBS would be limited to do such a thing unless what you are asking is if the 2 games CBS has the match ups can change.

The limitation on the number of games CBS is allowed to showcase really puts a premium on the BE teams to do well enough so that those games, if not set in stone, can feature their team. So, I'm hoping that Marquette is definitely going to be one of those teams showcased on CBS...AND they're not swapped out for a team with a higher ranking and better record. Likewise, if Marquette is NOT one of those teams on CBS, I hope they get swapped "in."
SS Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »
Leadoff with Doug Gottlieb

Ugh...we can't completely get rid of him, can we? 

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »
Not really, since CBS has there games pick for that network timeslots that fit in with golf.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:32 AM »
Is this an indication that Fox Sports1 has already given up?

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Is this an indication that Fox Sports1 has already given up?

You're kidding, right?  MU games the past few years were on both ESPN and CBS.  Did that mean ESPN gave up?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
You're kidding, right?  MU games the past few years were on both ESPN and CBS.  Did that mean ESPN gave up?

The counterargument to that is that last year ESPN had more inventory than they could hope to broadcast, while the Big East is the flagship product of a fledgling network.

I think before this annoucement everyone thought rights to some games would be sold. The expectation, however, was that it would be the surplus matchups (like DePaul/Seton Hall) that would wind up on networks like ESPN-U--not the marquee games that would do the best job of building an audience for Fox Sports.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »

Just about every major conference has crossover television coverage. Win win for all. Fox gets additional revenue to help defray the cost of their contract and the BE gets additional national coverage.