* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Viper
[Today at 08:24:20 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by burger
[Today at 01:15:21 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings  (Read 36432 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Lockett Signed by Sacramento Kings
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 06:53:12 AM »
Just glad I'm not a bettin' man.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
Good point that makes this scratch your head.  If you were a GM, would you take Jerel McNeal or Trent Lockett? 

Jerel is way way way better defensively and offensively.  Not even close.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
Good point that makes this scratch your head.  If you were a GM, would you take Jerel McNeal or Trent Lockett? 

It is a team game and Lockett is the better team player.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
This phenomenal to me because the one guy I expected to light up the NBA on someone's 8 man rotation Dominic James has so much has gotten any contract love at all and to this day I feel he is as good as many guys I see now in the NBA. IF Nate Robinson, Isiah Thomas and Wil Bynum and Ish Smith and other cats like that can play in the league DJO, JEREL AND DOMINIC can play in it!But perhaps their time will come. After all they ARE MARQUETTE.....right? But congratulations to Trent Locett the one and done transfer from ASU. It causes me to wonder did he get a serious look on his work for MU for 1 year and ride the wave of their ascent to prominence in turning out Pro prospects, or was it from what he did in 3 years at ASU?

I would say in a what have you have you done for me or shown me lately talent evaluate process if maybe the former moreso than the latter. MU has taken JUCO transfers and transfers in general and each were better off for themselves Professionally then they were before they got here.
Is part of that due to the fact he went to Europe instaed of staying here to pursue the NBA dream?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 08:21:59 AM »
Good point that makes this scratch your head.  If you were a GM, would you take Jerel McNeal or Trent Lockett?  

Jerel is way way way better defensively and offensively.  Not even close.
there's a couple inches, some bulk, and plenty of brains that say otherwise...in my opinion. how they approach the game is so different, and i would argue that trent has the physical attributes that will allow him to defend better than mcneal in the nba, and the offensive mindset that will allow him to help the team more than someone like mcneal.  i don't think you get much out of mcneal if you ask him to come in play hard nosed defense every day, be extremely unselfish with the ball, etc.

all that said, my guess would be the kings see trent as a great practice player at a cheap price.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:23:59 AM by avid1010 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Dominic-James/Summary/1747

Problem with James :  He still can't shoot, and he never could pass.  See link for his stats on 2nd rate Euro teams.  What good is a 5'10 guy who can't shoot? 

James was an excellent passer, and that was showcased highly his freshman & senior years.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »

I LOVE McNeal.  But his rep as a defender from frosh & sophomore years carried him during junior and senior years where he seemed less than interested in the defensive side of the ball.  Steals stats does not a great defender make.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Dominic-James/Summary/1747

You check out the awards he received in college?  See the conference?  Blasphemy!

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
there's a couple inches, some bulk, and plenty of brains that say otherwise...in my opinion. how they approach the game is so different, and i would argue that trent has the physical attributes that will allow him to defend better than mcneal in the nba, and the offensive mindset that will allow him to help the team more than someone like mcneal.  i don't think you get much out of mcneal if you ask him to come in play hard nosed defense every day, be extremely unselfish with the ball, etc.

all that said, my guess would be the kings see trent as a great practice player at a cheap price.  
McNeal is a shooter and a scorer.  There are far better shooters and scorers than him in the NBA.  Lockett is a jack-of-all trades guy who will play whatever dirty-work role they will put him in.   Unfortunately for McNeal, his best chance at the NBA was after he was D-League POY, but the following season was the lockout and he lost his best chance of landing a good gig in the league.  I am surprise, but happy, that Lockett landed a contract, but am not surprised that McNeal did not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
McNeal is a shooter and a scorer.  There are far better shooters and scorers than him in the NBA.  Lockett is a jack-of-all trades guy who will play whatever dirty-work role they will put him in.   Unfortunately for McNeal, his best chance at the NBA was after he was D-League POY, but the following season was the lockout and he lost his best chance of landing a good gig in the league.  I am surprise, but happy, that Lockett landed a contract, but am not surprised that McNeal did not.

+1

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Rebounding (consistent ~15% DR%), drawing contact, size all give Lockett an edge over McSteal with many.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
I LOVE McNeal.  But his rep as a defender from frosh & sophomore years carried him during junior and senior years where he seemed less than interested in the defensive side of the ball.  Steals stats does not a great defender make.

Amen.  McNeal's defensive attributes have been ridiculously overrated.  

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »

Still remember that matador defense against Nova in the BET.......

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

It was a classic "watch the ball and lose your man" mistake that you expect from a freshman. Jerel was fearless, a true warrior, but he had a low basketball IQ. That combined with his lack of size has done him in.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
At the end of last year, it sounded like Utah was pretty high on McNeal and were planning to bring him back this year. Has that changed? ESPN, NBA.com, and Wiki all still have him listed as a Jazz player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
At the end of last year, it sounded like Utah was pretty high on McNeal and were planning to bring him back this year. Has that changed? ESPN, NBA.com, and Wiki all still have him listed as a Jazz player.

Also the Euro version of the newest NBA 2K apparently (according to McNeal's fb page).  Hope he does end up sticking with the Jazz, that would be awesome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

Perhaps, but he did win Big East Defensive Player of the Year in a year the conference was loaded.  That doesn't happen out of the blue...a lot of people "overrated" him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
No, not non-existent. Almost non-existent, which is what I said.

So is that 99.9% for almost non-existent?  95%  90%....

Here's an article about Trent's first game.  Nice love for MU and nice love for ASU, as it should be.   http://arizonasports.com/74/1648457/Former-Sun-Devil-Trent-Lockett-blessed-to-have-NBA-opportunity

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
By the end of their careers it was Jerel's O and Dominic's D that made that team go round, along with Wesley of course.  Who would have thought? 

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
As for who could claim Lockett, I would say MU since the ASU website doesn't have anything about his signing ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
Perhaps, but he did win Big East Defensive Player of the Year in a year the conference was loaded.  That doesn't happen out of the blue...a lot of people "overrated" him.

Yep.  They did.  Like a lot of players who win DPOY awards, they generally win it based on stats rather than actual performance.

For instance, Michael Jordan only won the award once. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:39:12 PM by Terror Skink »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
So is that 99.9% for almost non-existent?  95%  90%....

97% = 33-1 odds for Trent. I'd say that's fair.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

Sad but true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

I remember us losing by 16 points at the half and playing absolutely dreadful basketball.  Made a great charge in the second half to come back.

Some anemic shooting in that game

Wes was 1 for 10  (though 9 of 10 at the stripe)
McNeal 4 for 17  (but 3 for 8 beyond three arc)
Lazar 3 for 9  (but 3 for 6 beyond three arc)

Little Mo Acker was a shooting stud for us that game..3 of 4 from beyond the arc (4 for 5 shooting in total on the game)

That was a crazy game, plenty of blame to go around, but a fun game to watch nonetheless.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
Mo was a stud that game.